Zack Wheeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trepye View Post
    I never SAID this was Alderson's fault; in fact, I will (once again) give him credit for not trading pitchers despite surplus. I was hoping that Aldy's grand scheme could come to fruition in totality so we can see if all his irritating moves were worth the trouble? Last year he got a "free" year due to Harvey's injury, now he will get another year to leave us in sabremetrics limbo due to this Wheeler tradegy.
    I never said you said it was Aldersons fault did I? You did mangage to say Alderson would cower under this injury to get another year. I dont think he is cowering about much.

Why is Alderson even relevent enough to mention when Wheeler gets injured? My initial reaction was that either Noah comes up or Gee slides back in.

Not for a second did I link this injury which hurts the Mets with the "irritating moves" of Alderson. Just too funny. Your obsession with Alderson is almost frightening.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 03-16-2015, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I never SAID this was Alderson's fault; in fact, I will (once again) give him credit for not trading pitchers despite surplus. I was hoping that Aldy's grand scheme could come to fruition in totality so we can see if all his irritating moves were worth the trouble? Last year he got a "free" year due to Harvey's injury, now he will get another year to leave us in sabremetrics limbo due to this Wheeler tradegy.
      He will not get a pass because of Wheeler. He is not an ace. Big loss, but teams pitching depth will come in handy. Actually, last years staff did well without Harvey. Gee in rotation to start then call up of Syndergard or Matz and they have a good rotation. If they get offensive production they still should be wildcard contender with or without Wheeler.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
        He will not get a pass because of Wheeler. He is not an ace. Big loss, but teams pitching depth will come in handy. Actually, last years staff did well without Harvey. Gee in rotation to start then call up of Syndergard or Matz and they have a good rotation. If they get offensive production they still should be wildcard contender with or without Wheeler.
        I agree with this.

This isnt good news about Wheeler but its not season ending news either.

Comment

• I suppose, Matz and Syndegard are about on the same level (though no ML experience :-/). I haven't had a chance to see Matz; anyone here can chime in as to whom they prefer?
          :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
          Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

I suppose, Matz and Syndegard are about on the same level (though no ML experience :-/). I haven't had a chance to see Matz; anyone here can chime in as to whom they prefer?
            I have seen both and prefer Syndergard right now. Although I love that Matz is lefty what I have seen this ST thus far tells me that Syndergard is more ML ready. Its a small sample size but thats the way it looks to me.

Comment

I suppose, Matz and Syndegard are about on the same level (though no ML experience :-/). I haven't had a chance to see Matz; anyone here can chime in as to whom they prefer?
              I saw Matz pitch 3 innings last week in Port St. Lucie. Nice delivery. Not knowledgeable enough to know if he's ready or not though.

Comment

I like Gee to start season and allow Matz and Syndegard to dominate in AAA and build confidence. Montero would be my next choice if someone else gets hurt, short term. I would expect to see Syndegard first but would allow them to compete in AAA for the first call up. Nice to have pitching depth but it runs out quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                  I like Gee to start season and allow Matz and Syndegard to dominate in AAA and build confidence. Montero would be my next choice if someone else gets hurt, short term. I would expect to see Syndegard first but would allow them to compete in AAA for the first call up. Nice to have pitching depth but it runs out quickly.
                  From what little I saw, I like Montero.

Unfortunately, the odds are that another Mets starter will get hurt. Spring training isn't half done, and 2 pitchers are headed for surgery. I think the NYY had at least 4 starters our on the DL last season. The Braves had 3. From the Marlins to the Giants to the Braves to the White Sox.....everyone has pitchers who are hurt or coming back from surgery.

One of my Uncles was a good athelete, but was also a schemer. He played varsity football for Long Beach State in the 1950's, and was briefly on the 49 ers. His career fizzled, and he then pushed his two sons. He dreamed he had the next Elway and saw $$$$$. They were both about 6'5", excelled in baseball and football throughout high school , pitched and quarter backed their HS to championships....and both blew out their arms by college. Now the grandson has taken the stage. He was here in NY up at the Baseball Hall of fame in some prestige tournament ...pitching....with his arm being touted as "the cannon". I have a standing bet with any relative that this kid blows out his arm. People think I am being spiteful; I told my cousin to cut back on the kids baseball and let him play soccer and lacrosse or even track for 8 months of the year. All I got was nasty remarks back...so it may take a few years, but I am getting ready for the "I told you so".

deGrom and Harvey both had this surgery already; deGrom 4 1/2 years ago in Oct 2010. He pitched really well last season, but he is now in his prime and will be 27 in June. He is one month older than Stephen Strasburg . Some people on FAN act like he is some 21 yr old phenom. He could end up having a very good career, but there is a chance he flames out after a few seasons. We will have to wait and see.

Comment

• Zack Wheeler to have Tommy John surgery:
                    https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/st...17097226407936
                    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                      Zack Wheeler to have Tommy John surgery:
                      https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/st...17097226407936
                      Did you expect anything else?

Isnt this typical:

1) Player has "minor" injury if it were July he would play
                      2) Player is going to get treatment but no need for an MRI
                      3) Player is getting MRI but we dont believe it to be serious
                      4) MRI reveals tear - Surgery is next week

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                        The Giants did not win in 2011. the Cardinals did.
                        The Giants won again in 2012, without Wheeler on the staff.
                        It's a longshot, but the Giants could win a 3rd World Series in 5 years. The Giants are built to try to win NOW, not a year or two down the road.

Wheeler was not the top rated pitcher in the Giants farm system at the time of the trade. It was Bumgarten. Now Wheeler looks like an ace, but if his arm pull's a Harvey down the road I won't be shocked.

I understand and agree that I would rather have a 24 yr old pitcher than a 33 yr old player (Beltran); I just don't understand where FANS (not the owners, not the GM) worry about how much a guy is getting paid. I'm convinced it's mostly Mets fans who fret over how much salary a player brings.

Maybe it's quotes like this from today's Wall Street Journal that worry Mets fans so much.....

Of course, the Mets already have players averaging salaries of $20 million and $15 million a year in third baseman David Wright and right fielder Curtis Granderson, respectively, so could they even add another $20 million player?

"20, 20, 15 and, what, 22 dwarves?" Alderson joked about the composition of the rest of his 25-man roster, before turning more serious. "It's conceivable. We just have to figure out what our maximum [payroll] is and work back from there.

Bumping this thread, reading back on it before the Giants won a 3rd WS, and the Mets won a pennant. The jury is still out on this trade. It looked very one sided for sure, but now it is still cloudy. The Giants did make a big error in not signing Beltran and letting him go to St Louis. Beltran is putting up some good numbers still, with 19 hr 54 rbi and a .293 avg.
                        Wheeler is still hurt.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/bas...ning-the-mets/

Mets' Zack Wheeler: Not close to rejoining the Mets
                        by RotoWire Staff 7h ago

Wheeler is at least a month away from joining the Mets and could remain sidelined even longer due to slight setbacks in his recovery, GM Sandy Alderson said Thursday.
                        Wheeler is throwing again from 90 feet and should start slope work again this week. But that is a step back from where he was a few weeks ago, when it looked like he would be able to rejoin the team in July. Once Wheeler progresses to slope work and bullpen sessions without setback, he would then be able to progress to kicking off the 30-day rehab assignment window. The possibility remains that Wheeler will not be back this year due to the continued pushback of return date

Now Wheeler looks like an ace, but if his arm pull's a Harvey down the road I won't be shocked. I hope I have the same uncanny ability to see the future when I go to Saratoga in August !
                        Last edited by mandrake; 07-12-2016, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• http://nypost.com/2016/08/17/mets-ge...-zack-wheeler/

PHOENIX — Zack Wheeler’s season is finished before it got started, after an MRI exam on Wednesday revealed the Mets pitcher has a mild flexor strain in his right elbow that will keep him inactive for at least the next two weeks.

The righty was examined by renown orthopedist James Andrews, after concern had risen about persistent discomfort in the elbow. Wheeler underwent Tommy John surgery last year in spring training and had made his first minor league rehab start on Aug. 6, throwing 17 pitches for Single-A St. Lucie.

“Obviously the good news is the ligament was intact — there are no problems there,” assistant general manager John Ricco said before the Mets faced the Diamondbacks at Chase Field.

Though the Mets aren’t officially ruling out Wheeler for 2016, the fact he has been told to wait until September to resume throwing and would have to build up arm strength through rehab starts — with the minor-league season ending early in the month — makes a return this year hard to fathom.

“We’re very disappointed,” manager Terry Collins said. “I feel bad for Zack. I know he certainly wanted to pitch and was looking forward to pitch, but nobody knows how he feels any better than he does, but I just hope with the rest and recuperation that he can certainly come back in the future and be effective.”

Wheeler’s latest setback was his third this season. In April, he was shut down from throwing after undergoing a procedure to remove a stitch in his elbow that had failed to dissolve. He was examined again in June and backed up in his rehab because of discomfort caused by the nerve endings in the elbow.

I don't think anyone (except the Post) says Wheeler is done officially for the season. Personally, I want him to be done. No Harvey part II. No more pitching in 2016. Get healthy, see ya in Spring Training.
                          This guy's throwing motion has caused concern for more than a few years. it helps nobody to have him risk getting hurt again in September.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                            http://nypost.com/2016/08/17/mets-ge...-zack-wheeler/

PHOENIX — Zack Wheeler’s season is finished before it got started, after an MRI exam on Wednesday revealed the Mets pitcher has a mild flexor strain in his right elbow that will keep him inactive for at least the next two weeks.

The righty was examined by renown orthopedist James Andrews, after concern had risen about persistent discomfort in the elbow. Wheeler underwent Tommy John surgery last year in spring training and had made his first minor league rehab start on Aug. 6, throwing 17 pitches for Single-A St. Lucie.

“Obviously the good news is the ligament was intact — there are no problems there,” assistant general manager John Ricco said before the Mets faced the Diamondbacks at Chase Field.

Though the Mets aren’t officially ruling out Wheeler for 2016, the fact he has been told to wait until September to resume throwing and would have to build up arm strength through rehab starts — with the minor-league season ending early in the month — makes a return this year hard to fathom.

“We’re very disappointed,” manager Terry Collins said. “I feel bad for Zack. I know he certainly wanted to pitch and was looking forward to pitch, but nobody knows how he feels any better than he does, but I just hope with the rest and recuperation that he can certainly come back in the future and be effective.”

Wheeler’s latest setback was his third this season. In April, he was shut down from throwing after undergoing a procedure to remove a stitch in his elbow that had failed to dissolve. He was examined again in June and backed up in his rehab because of discomfort caused by the nerve endings in the elbow.

I don't think anyone (except the Post) says Wheeler is done officially for the season. Personally, I want him to be done. No Harvey part II. No more pitching in 2016. Get healthy, see ya in Spring Training.
                            This guy's throwing motion has caused concern for more than a few years. it helps nobody to have him risk getting hurt again in September.
                            Agreed. It is not worth risking the future health for this sub .500 team

Comment

• That's too bad for him. The guy can't even get his career off the ground. I so hope they don't try anything stupid and just let him come back next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                                That's too bad for him. The guy can't even get his career off the ground. I so hope they don't try anything stupid and just let him come back next season.
                                I can't even find any updates on Wheeler. I believe the minor leagues shut down on Monday....rehab assignment?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X