Juan Lagares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Lagares

Just because the kid deserves his own thread. He may be the great surprise of 2013 and is playing like a potential fixture in CF. I love his defense.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

So help me, I came in here to start a thread on Juan Lagares, but you beat me to it! I agree, he looks like he's ready for prime time.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
      So help me, I came in here to start a thread on Juan Lagares, but you beat me to it! I agree, he looks like he's ready for prime time.
      Agree - and having that kind of player in CF in Citi is crucial. He always seems to play it pretty hard too, even when the rest of the lineup is taking the night off (ie every other game!).
      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Now lets hope Aldy in his infinite sabrematician's "wisdom" does not give him away for one of those crappy fielders that have a high OBP. I think that Moneyball is the only movie I have seen that tried as hard as it could to shed something in a positive light but made me disdain its message. Thank god Clint Eastwood's baseball movie came out to neutralize that sabremetric's robotics.

Defense in baseball counts, albeit it does not produce scores, scoring-prevention all around the field provides a much more varied and intruiging outcomes than hitting.
        :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
        Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

mlb_a_lagares_gb1_576.jpg

Defensive player of month: Juan Lagares
          http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...h-juan-lagares

Quote:

New York Mets rookie outfielder Juan Lagares had to beat out the best of the best to win the Defensive Player of the Month award for August.

Lagares topped two-time 2013 winner Andrelton Simmons and impressive Colorado Rockies rookie Nolan Arenado to take the award this month.

It was well-earned. Lagares led the majors with 12 defensive runs saved in August (one more than Simmons, three more than Arenado). That value came both from his ability to range far outside his position to catch balls and from a throwing arm that has ranked among the best in the sport since his arrival.

Lagares was credited with 22 "Out of Zone" putouts by Baseball Info Solutions in August, with an Out of Zone catch defined as one made in an area in which center fielders turn batted balls into outs less than 50 percent of the time.

Comment

They should bring right-center back to 415' (or deeper) just for Juan; he will catch ANYTHING. Dont shoehorn the ballpark for faux power regions; instead lets utilize our defensive talent (combined with all our up and coming pitchers) to the hometeams advantage.
            :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
            Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Originally posted by trepye View Post
              They should bring right-center back to 415' (or deeper) just for Juan; he will catch ANYTHING. Dont shoehorn the ballpark for faux power regions; instead lets utilize our defensive talent (combined with all our up and coming pitchers) to the hometeams advantage.
              He will if freaking Terry Collins would only start him in CF - the position he's the best at in the league!

Comment

Why stop at 415? Let's reinvent the Polo Grounds with a 483 foot center field ! If the Jints didn't move those fences in from the original 500 feet, then Adcock, Aaron, and Brock would never had hit homers there !

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                  Why stop at 415? Let's reinvent the Polo Grounds with a 483 foot center field ! If the Jints didn't move those fences in from the original 500 feet, then Adcock, Aaron, and Brock would never had hit homers there !
                  They would have been running around the bases instead of jogging; in most cases anyway.

So I guess Baseball Fans (weren'tyou a NY Giants fan?) would have traded in this for a HR too right? :disbelief:
                  Last edited by trepye; 09-04-2013, 09:23 AM.

Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

They should remove all the fences.....grow corn in the outfield in case Shoeless wants to visit. Then if Lagares, who can now cover all of the Earth not made up of water, runs into the corn and disappears atleast he can tell us how awesome it was to meet James Earl Jones.

Comment

They would have been running around the bases instead of jogging; in most cases anyway.

So I guess Baseball Fans (weren'tyou a NY Giants fan?) would have traded in this for a HR too right? :disbelief:
                      Ever hear of Mel Ott. He hit 511 hrs. He hit 323 hrs in the Polo Grounds. Why the disparity with so many more home runs at home, even with a 483 foot CF (which originally was 500 feet?). Maybe it's because Ott learned to pull the ball down the line where the fence was a 257 foot distance.

Comment

Don't laugh fellas, but the Mets have the best defensive CF in baseball on the roster right now, under team control for many years to come. And he's .268 rookie year with 19 doubles and 27 EBH in half a season. Sure he's gotta get on more, yes he's gotta learn the strike better, no he's not that big 40 HR slugger we need - agreed.

But this kid is one of the premiere outfield talents in MLB right now...

...and he's actually a Met.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                          Don't laugh fellas, but the Mets have the best defensive CF in baseball on the roster right now, under team control for many years to come. And he's .268 rookie year with 19 doubles and 27 EBH in half a season. Sure he's gotta get on more, yes he's gotta learn the strike better, no he's not that big 40 HR slugger we need - agreed.

No arguments here. He is a very good defensive CF...which means he will end up in the Bronx or Atlanta or St Louis some day.

Comment

Juan could be the next Garry Maddox defensively.
                            Ralph Kiner once said "Two thirds of the earth is covered by water,the other third is covered by Garry Maddox."
                            Now that's a lot of ground to cover.
                            "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
                            at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post

Is he the best CF'er in baseball? Well who really knows, and it doesnt matter if he has that label or not. The fact is the kid can go get it in center, and he seemingly has a huge upside. Lets not label him into something that is unreachable at this point.

Lets just hope what we are seeing is only going to develop and grow into a star player.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X