X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some scary news about our Wilmer.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/...nt-infections/

Sims: Why Wilmer Flores’ Knee Infection Is Serious Business
    Abby Breaks Down The Possible Causes Of Septic Arthritis And The Treatment Mets' Infielder Could Receive April 24, 2017 12:24 PM

By Abby Sims

Mets infielder Wilmer Flores was placed on the disabled list on Friday and spent the weekend in the hospital to receive IV treatment for a knee infection. Evidently, Flores had played with discomfort for a couple of days before seeking medical attention.

MORE: Mets’ Flores, Duda Headed To Disabled List

Though this diagnosis may not sound like much, it is one that can be quite serious. It is considered an emergent condition with high risk of morbidity or mortality if not quickly and aggressively addressed. The outcome of treatment hinges on it.

There are a number of possible causes of joint infections, also known as septic arthritis. These include being spread via the bloodstream (hematogenous dissemination), postoperative wound infection, localized steroid injections, diagnostic procedures (or drug use) involving puncture, and open traumatic injury of the joint.

Localized symptoms typically include swelling, redness and warmth of the affected joint, pain, and restricted joint mobility. Generalized symptoms may include fever and accompanying chills, fatigue and an overall sense of weakness.

Diagnosis

Septic arthritis is diagnosed by extracting a sample of the synovial fluid that bathes and lubricates the joint. This enables identification of the specific bacteria causing the infection and will reveal an elevated white blood cell count, indicating that the body is fighting infection. A complete patient history, along with a physical exam also provides useful information, as do imaging studies. X-rays can reveal any joint damage, and, in later stages, MRI studies can do likewise.

Those with a weakened immune system, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, open wounds, or chronic skin infections are more predisposed to suffering from septic arthritis and may have a more difficult recovery. Those who’ve sustained trauma, have a malignant cancer, or have severe genitourinary or gastrointestinal infections are also more vulnerable. The very old and very young are at higher risk.

MORE: Sims: Breaking Down What We Know About Lucas Duda’s Hyperextended Elbow

The Bacteria Involved

Determining the type of bacteria causing the infection is key to driving the treatment. Most commonly implicated is Staphylococcus aureus (referred to as a Staph infection), with Streptococci (strep) infections also common. Other organisms diagnosed less often include: Pneumococci, Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Borrelia burgdorferi as well as assorted others.

Treatment

Draining the joint with a syringe and irrigating it (also known as lavage) via arthroscopy to clear it of infection is the first step in treating septic arthritis. In more severe cases, it may be necessary to repeat these procedures. The scope may also be used to debride affected tissue. Systemic antibiotic therapy targeting the specific organisms identified is a crucial part of treatment. Severe cases may require surgery. Physical therapy is an integral part of treatment to restore soft tissue and joint mobility.

Prognosis

Those with joints infected by particularly virulent bacteria or who have septic arthritis in multiple joints have a poorer prognosis despite optimal care. In addition, patients who delayed treatment for seven or more days typically respond more slowly to antibiotics and evidence the worst outcomes.

While the most persistent cases may fail to respond to treatment, some patients, even after recovery, may suffer a recurrence. One study reported a 91 percent “cure” rate, with only 4 percent of patients requiring revision surgery. Another study reported an 89.2 percent success rate overall, up from 78.3 percent after administering a second round of treatment to those with recurrent infection.

Research indicates that joint function is permanently reduced in 10-73 percent of those who’ve suffered from septic arthritis. This wide variance is due to the underlying condition of the patients, as well as the many diagnostic and treatment factors in play. Studies have shown that the mortality associated with septic arthritis is between 5 and 20 percent.

I'm a fan of his and feel he has a lot of potential. I'm sure we all hope he gets well soon and back on the diamond where he's needed.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
      Some scary news about our Wilmer.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/...nt-infections/

Sims: Why Wilmer Flores’ Knee Infection Is Serious Business
      Abby Breaks Down The Possible Causes Of Septic Arthritis And The Treatment Mets' Infielder Could Receive April 24, 2017 12:24 PM

By Abby Sims

Mets infielder Wilmer Flores was placed on the disabled list on Friday and spent the weekend in the hospital to receive IV treatment for a knee infection. Evidently, Flores had played with discomfort for a couple of days before seeking medical attention.

MORE: Mets’ Flores, Duda Headed To Disabled List

Though this diagnosis may not sound like much, it is one that can be quite serious. It is considered an emergent condition with high risk of morbidity or mortality if not quickly and aggressively addressed. The outcome of treatment hinges on it.

There are a number of possible causes of joint infections, also known as septic arthritis. These include being spread via the bloodstream (hematogenous dissemination), postoperative wound infection, localized steroid injections, diagnostic procedures (or drug use) involving puncture, and open traumatic injury of the joint.

Localized symptoms typically include swelling, redness and warmth of the affected joint, pain, and restricted joint mobility. Generalized symptoms may include fever and accompanying chills, fatigue and an overall sense of weakness.

Diagnosis

Septic arthritis is diagnosed by extracting a sample of the synovial fluid that bathes and lubricates the joint. This enables identification of the specific bacteria causing the infection and will reveal an elevated white blood cell count, indicating that the body is fighting infection. A complete patient history, along with a physical exam also provides useful information, as do imaging studies. X-rays can reveal any joint damage, and, in later stages, MRI studies can do likewise.

Those with a weakened immune system, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, open wounds, or chronic skin infections are more predisposed to suffering from septic arthritis and may have a more difficult recovery. Those who’ve sustained trauma, have a malignant cancer, or have severe genitourinary or gastrointestinal infections are also more vulnerable. The very old and very young are at higher risk.

MORE: Sims: Breaking Down What We Know About Lucas Duda’s Hyperextended Elbow

The Bacteria Involved

Determining the type of bacteria causing the infection is key to driving the treatment. Most commonly implicated is Staphylococcus aureus (referred to as a Staph infection), with Streptococci (strep) infections also common. Other organisms diagnosed less often include: Pneumococci, Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Borrelia burgdorferi as well as assorted others.

Treatment

Draining the joint with a syringe and irrigating it (also known as lavage) via arthroscopy to clear it of infection is the first step in treating septic arthritis. In more severe cases, it may be necessary to repeat these procedures. The scope may also be used to debride affected tissue. Systemic antibiotic therapy targeting the specific organisms identified is a crucial part of treatment. Severe cases may require surgery. Physical therapy is an integral part of treatment to restore soft tissue and joint mobility.

Prognosis

Those with joints infected by particularly virulent bacteria or who have septic arthritis in multiple joints have a poorer prognosis despite optimal care. In addition, patients who delayed treatment for seven or more days typically respond more slowly to antibiotics and evidence the worst outcomes.

While the most persistent cases may fail to respond to treatment, some patients, even after recovery, may suffer a recurrence. One study reported a 91 percent “cure” rate, with only 4 percent of patients requiring revision surgery. Another study reported an 89.2 percent success rate overall, up from 78.3 percent after administering a second round of treatment to those with recurrent infection.

Research indicates that joint function is permanently reduced in 10-73 percent of those who’ve suffered from septic arthritis. This wide variance is due to the underlying condition of the patients, as well as the many diagnostic and treatment factors in play. Studies have shown that the mortality associated with septic arthritis is between 5 and 20 percent.

I'm a fan of his and feel he has a lot of potential. I'm sure we all hope he gets well soon and back on the diamond where he's needed.

I wonder if he got this from getting tattoos. He is all tatttooed up now. How this became a thing is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Metsies8 View Post
        I wonder if he got this from getting tattoos. He is all tatttooed up now. How this became a thing is beyond me.
        Part of it is this. Part of it was the rise in popularity of a general vintage working class aesthetic that defines the "hipster". The rest of it is a bunch of other people following along.

I didn't know about Wilmer's tattoos. Hepatitis is usually a bigger risk.

I think if given the chance he'd excel.

Comment

Part of it is this. Part of it was the rise in popularity of a general vintage working class aesthetic that defines the "hipster". The rest of it is a bunch of other people following along.

I didn't know about Wilmer's tattoos. Hepatitis is usually a bigger risk.

I think if given the chance he'd excel.
          Pretty scary. Lets just hope he is ok no matter what the reason.

On the baseball side - I have been posting that Flores needs regular at bats. I think he can be a 25 HR guy and do nothing but improve the rest of his game with regular playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            Pretty scary. Lets just hope he is ok no matter what the reason.

On the baseball side - I have been posting that Flores needs regular at bats. I think he can be a 25 HR guy and do nothing but improve the rest of his game with regular playing time.
            I think 25 would be a career year for Flores. He has great bat speed and can field every position which makes him valuable to the team. I don't know if giving him a full season would help his splits; which is primarily what keeps him out of the everyday lineup.

Either way, I hope he ends up being a career Met. He seems like a great teammate and he legitimately likes playing for the Mets.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
              I think 25 would be a career year for Flores. He has great bat speed and can field every position which makes him valuable to the team. I don't know if giving him a full season would help his splits; which is primarily what keeps him out of the everyday lineup.

Either way, I hope he ends up being a career Met. He seems like a great teammate and he legitimately likes playing for the Mets.
              His career splits or anyone elses will never get better if you don't play.

He seems like a great kid, but I only want him here if he is going to help win baseball games............which he could if given the chance.

Comment

Guess who the best hitter in the NL was last month?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3216703

Only a badly run organization takes potential future cornerstones (Conforto, too) and turns them into platoon players. Only a badly run organization would pay Neil Walker $17M to play 2B and block a quality player like Wilmer.

I've always liked Wilmer and really want him to get his shot to play every day, ideally at 2B.

Comment

Only a badly run organization takes potential future cornerstones (Conforto, too) and turns them into platoon players. Only a badly run organization would pay Neil Walker $17M to play 2B and block a quality player like Wilmer.

I've always liked Wilmer and really want him to get his shot to play every day, ideally at 2B.
                  I agree on Wilmer. Its absurd that he doesn't have a regular gig on this team.

Comment

I've said for some time now, I think he's the heir apparent to (and really already inheriting the role from) David Wright at 3B. Another HR tonight.

For all the bad deals the Mets have made, the one they DIDN'T make to deal Flores has to be one of the better "moves" in recent Mets history.
                    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                      I've said for some time now, I think he's the heir apparent to (and really already inheriting the role from) David Wright at 3B. Another HR tonight.For all the bad deals the Mets have made, the one they DIDN'T make to deal Flores has to be one of the better "moves" in recent Mets history.
                      Off a right-handed pitcher, thank you very much.
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Good month by him but Blackmon won NL Player of the month. Twice as many at bats.

If Flores plays everyday does he stay at player of the month level? Or regress to average with more at bats?

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                          Good month by him but Blackmon won NL Player of the month. Twice as many at bats.

If Flores plays everyday does he stay at player of the month level? Or regress to average with more at bats?
                          You cant expect anyone to stay at that level on any kind of consistent basis. He will regress of course but I think even his regression is good enough to be an everyday player.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X