Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets Kicked Off WFAN, Replaced By Yankees

Oh the ignominy!

The Mets have been in the landmark NY sports station since it was founded in 1987. It's nearly synonymous with the Mets - but the games don't attract advertisers. They lose money.

Such is the Mets' disaster - "sprinting to the finish!" - that their own station kicks them off in favor of the Yanks. And btw, not exactly a powerhouse NYY era either - Mo retiring, Jeter clearly done, the A-Rod nonsense, no names all across the roster.

Still a much better deal than your New York Mets, who are apparently negotiating a slot on CB Radio channel 37.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    Oh the ignominy!

The Mets have been in the landmark NY sports station since it was founded in 1987. It's nearly synonymous with the Mets - but the games don't attract advertisers. They lose money.

Such is the Mets' disaster - "sprinting to the finish!" - that their own station kicks them off in favor of the Yanks. And btw, not exactly a powerhouse NYY era either - Mo retiring, Jeter clearly done, the A-Rod nonsense, no names all across the roster.

Still a much better deal than your New York Mets, who are apparently negotiating a slot on CB Radio channel 37.
    hahahahahaha. (it's not true is it?)

Comment

Yes it could be happening:

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyor...prior-to-2014/

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        No, it can't be. The Mets getting kicked off WFAN for the 'other' team in NY. Why? Everyone knows the Mets are the best franchise. Other team's fans are jealous of the Mets success !

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
          No, it can't be. The Mets getting kicked off WFAN for the 'other' team in NY. Why? Everyone knows the Mets are the best franchise. Other team's fans are jealous of the Mets success !
          Seriously, the METS have a far better TV broadcasting team than the NYY. The NYY radio team is awful. However, I can no longer take Howie 'the shill' Rose and I hope he gets fired.

Murphy/Nelson/Kiner had objective, professional broadcats. Rose is a whiner and a sore loser.:silent:

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
            I remember reading the Oakland A's were briefly stuck on some short-range college radio station under Charlie Finley.
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

So it seems this will be the last time we'll hear this.
              That awkward moment when you are off 1 dollar buying something

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                I remember reading the Oakland A's were briefly stuck on some short-range college radio station under Charlie Finley.

Rumor has it the Mets are in discussions with WFUV, they want to be with the ORIGINAL NY sports talk station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFUV

Comment

Before the Jeff Wilpon fan club gets to spin this....

The Yankees currently are carried by WCBS Radio, which like WFAN, is owned by CBS. The current one-year contract is believed to pay the team $13 to $14 million.The Mets are believed to earn about half what the Yankees do in rights fees but have been a money-loser for WFAN.

The NYY contract would be for 10 years with CBS, which owns WFAN, paying the Yankees between $15-$20 million per year, according to radio industry sources. This would make the Yankees the recipient of the most lucrative radio deal in major league baseball.

So...WFAN LOSES money on the Mets, but will then pay the Yankees more than double??? I am not convinced the Mets will have the $$$$ to spend with the LA Dodgers.

As for SNY TV ratings, the last numbers I saw were from about 6 weeks ago, and SNY numbers were averaging a 1.8 per game. No, the decimal is not in the wrong place.....on an average night less than 2% of homes in the Metro NYC area were watching the Mets.

And , you know those 2% are here on baseball fever always praising the Mets from top to bottom. Crappy TV ratings; kicked off their radio station; and attendance currently at 21st in MLB. Wilpon baseball...ya gotta believe.

You know who I blame? Uncle Bernie, as in Madoff. If only he had taken the Wilpon's for every last cent:
                  Mets' ownership is still financing an enormous debt load, took another $160 million in loans against their S.N.Y. ownership stake last winter, all part of their year-by-year effort to keep the ball in the air. They owe $320 million in a loan against the team, due in June 2014. And their debt total against S.N.Y., including the new loans last winter, are up over $600 million, and due in 2015.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...ts-winter-come

Comment

The Yankees currently are carried by WCBS Radio, which like WFAN, is owned by CBS. The current one-year contract is believed to pay the team $13 to $14 million.The Mets are believed to earn about half what the Yankees do in rights fees but have been a money-loser for WFAN.

The NYY contract would be for 10 years with CBS, which owns WFAN, paying the Yankees between $15-$20 million per year, according to radio industry sources. This would make the Yankees the recipient of the most lucrative radio deal in major league baseball.

So...WFAN LOSES money on the Mets, but will then pay the Yankees more than double???
                    Last time I read up on this, CBS lost money on the Yanks on 880 Kc, but lost less money with the Mets on 660 Kc... So I guess they want the brand, and will let the Mets go to some other radio group, and lose less overall. I hope it is not FM (read ESPN), as I would like to be able to hear them more than 60 miles from ESB...

I was upset when WFAN lost the NY Rangers... I guess I will get over it.

I hope they end up on a 50 kW clear-channel (not the company) NYC AM station. DX is key.

As for SNY TV ratings, the last numbers I saw were from about 6 weeks ago, and SNY numbers were averaging a 1.8 per game. No, the decimal is not in the wrong place.....on an average night less than 2% of homes in the Metro NYC area were watching the Mets.
                    But 100 percent of pay-TV homes (outside of Dish Network Subscribers) pay more than $2 per month for the ability to watch them. That must count for something....

Cheers!
                    -Doug
                    20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

Originally posted by dstoffa View Post
                      Last time I read up on this, CBS lost money on the Yanks on 880 Kc, but lost less money with the Mets on 660 Kc... So I guess they want the brand, and will let the Mets go to some other radio group, and lose less overall. I hope it is not FM (read ESPN), as I would like to be able to hear them more than 60 miles from ESB...

I was upset when WFAN lost the NY Rangers... I guess I will get over it.

I hope they end up on a 50 kW clear-channel (not the company) NYC AM station. DX is key.

But 100 percent of pay-TV homes (outside of Dish Network Subscribers) pay more than $2 per month for the ability to watch them. That must count for something....

Cheers!
                      -Doug
                      You know where it counts.....it could be (I say could because Fred and Jeff use smoke and mirrors) about $75 million a year. Dodgers get $350 million a year.

Maybe the Mets return to their late 1970's day with a 5,000 watt WMCA 570 am ?

Comment

You know where it counts.....it could be (I say could because Fred and Jeff use smoke and mirrors) about $75 million a year. Dodgers get $350 million a year.
                        This article shows each teams' expected revenue. The Dodgers deal is a printing press, and more than double the revenue of the 2nd place team...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dodge...local-tv-deal/

Maybe the Mets return to their late 1970's day with a 5,000 watt WMCA 570 am ?
                        I doubt that Salem Communications would even consider it. They probably make too much money with their religious programming. Ironically, Salem owns the former WJRZ/WWDJ, too.

From a communications standpoint, the best AM stations to be on in NY are the three uni-directional clear-channel stations (WFAN, WABC, and WCBS). Next best would be WOR. After that, the drop for even the other 50 kW stations higher up in the AM band become significant.

I hope they land on WABC or WOR. I don't see them moving to WCBS, because it doesn't servce CBS Radio's interest to make the switch. They'll still be losing money. WEPN-FM doesn't have the coverage that those big AM stations do.

Cheers!
                        -Doug
                        20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

Originally posted by dstoffa View Post
                          This article shows each teams' expected revenue. The Dodgers deal is a printing press, and more than double the revenue of the 2nd place team...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dodge...local-tv-deal/

I doubt that Salem Communications would even consider it. They probably make too much money with their religious programming. Ironically, Salem owns the former WJRZ/WWDJ, too.

From a communications standpoint, the best AM stations to be on in NY are the three uni-directional clear-channel stations (WFAN, WABC, and WCBS). Next best would be WOR. After that, the drop for even the other 50 kW stations higher up in the AM band become significant.

I hope they land on WABC or WOR. I don't see them moving to WCBS, because it doesn't servce CBS Radio's interest to make the switch. They'll still be losing money. WEPN-FM doesn't have the coverage that those big AM stations do.

Cheers!
                          -Doug

Being 60 miles from the ESB, I have a very hard time getting 1050 (the old WHN-WFAN), the old WNEW 1130, the one time 'cool' AM radio WWDJ 970, and forget WMCA 570. I even have issues getting WEPN-FM in my cars. My first choice would be WABC....I could get that station from Florida to Missouri !

Every single PAY TV customer in the USA MUST, repeat MUST, pay for ESPN and the other sports outlets. You have no choice (right now). The day sports programming becomes optional/put on a different tier is the day the sports world comes crashing down.

If I don't want HBO, I don't have to pay for it. However, I along with everyone else must pay for MSG/SNY/YES/ESPN/Fox Sports etc. ALL of them.When ala carte prgraming comes along, look out.
                          Last edited by mandrake; 09-11-2013, 09:22 AM.

Comment

So...WFAN LOSES money on the Mets, but will then pay the Yankees more than double??? I am not convinced the Mets will have the $$$$ to spend with the LA Dodgers.

And , you know those 2% are here on baseball fever always praising the Mets from top to bottom. Crappy TV ratings; kicked off their radio station; and attendance currently at 21st in MLB. Wilpon baseball...ya gotta believe.

You know who I blame? Uncle Bernie, as in Madoff. If only he had taken the Wilpon's for every last cent:
                            Mets' ownership is still financing an enormous debt load, took another $160 million in loans against their S.N.Y. ownership stake last winter, all part of their year-by-year effort to keep the ball in the air. They owe $320 million in a loan against the team, due in June 2014. And their debt total against S.N.Y., including the new loans last winter, are up over $600 million, and due in 2015.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...ts-winter-come
                            WCBS is going to a 100% news format and they are putting the Yankees on their owned station WFAN. Makes good business sense. Why shouldn't CBS rake in the endorsements and audience for the Yankees? The Mets will either find another station or be very quiet next year. That's one way for you not to hear Howie Rose anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                              WCBS is going to a 100% news format and they are putting the Yankees on their owned station WFAN. Makes good business sense. Why shouldn't CBS rake in the endorsements and audience for the Yankees? The Mets will either find another station or be very quiet next year. That's one way for you not to hear Howie Rose anymore.
                              Listening to the Mets doesn't mean I have to listen to Howie the Crbaby. On XM/Sirius I just listen to the other team's radio feed. It's usually an improvement.

Just like WFAN may dump Waldman, I hope whoever picks up the Mets would dump Rose. But since he is an apologist for the regime, I'm pretty sure he will stay

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X