Mets 2014 Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets 2014 Rotation

Which pitchers do you think should be in the Mets' rotation in 2014?

I like it when teams build from within an organization, so that's what I'm going to do here with my hypothetical rotation. I think, if these pitchers keep up their solid work from 2013, the Mets could have a decent squad in 2014:

1. Matt Harvey
    2. Jonathon Niese
    3. Dillon Gee
    4. Zach Wheeler
    5. Aaron Harang

I had trouble with number five, tossing around Harang, Torres and Hefner. Though Harang's sample size with the Mets is small, he's performed well and has solid past history of success behind him. Torres works better as a reliever (1.47 ERA in that role vs. a 4.89 mark as a starter this year) and Hefner is too inconsistent and is prone to high ERAs (his ERAs by month, from April through July: 4.34, 5.14, 1.80, 5.51).
    Last edited by Cowtipper; 09-29-2013, 01:06 PM.

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Which pitchers do you think should be in the Mets' rotation in 2014?

I like it when teams build from within an organization, so that's what I'm going to do here with my hypothetical rotation. I think, if these pitchers keep up their solid work from 2013, the Mets could have a decent squad in 2014:

1. Matt Harvey
    2. Jonathon Niese
    3. Dillon Gee
    4. Zach Wheeler
    5. Aaron Harang

I had trouble with number five, tossing around Harang, Torres and Hefner. Though his sample size with the Mets is small, he's performed well and has solid past history of success behind him. Torres works better as a reliever (1.47 ERA in that role vs. a 4.89 mark as a starter this year) and Hefner is too inconsistent and is prone to high ERAs (his ERAs by month, from April through July: 4.34, 5.14, 1.80, 5.51).
    I think Montero should get a shot out of spring training - he's the Mets best prospect, currently. Pitched incredibly well in Vegas - better than either Wheeler or Harvey did.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
      I think Montero should get a shot out of spring training - he's the Mets best prospect, currently. Pitched incredibly well in Vegas - better than either Wheeler or Harvey did.
      As much as I like the names being mentioned, I would think 1 or 2 of those names will be traded for position players. Which ones is anyones guess.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
        As much as I like the names being mentioned, I would think 1 or 2 of those names will be traded for position players. Which ones is anyones guess.
        I agree 100% with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
          I agree 100% with this.
          I also think a couple of guys will be gone in trades from the likes of: Neise, Gee, Meija, Montero. Given it's the Mets, Harvey will have Tommy John too.

So I will go with Niese, Wheeler, Arroyo, DIce K and a mix of deGrom and Torres.. Wait until 2015!!!!Wahoo!!!

Comment

Oh crap, I totally forgot about Harvey and the likelihood of surgery.

So, he'll probably have Tommy John surgery, putting him out for the rest of the year. In that case, I'd invest in Bronson Arroyo or a similar free agent, and have my rotation look like this:

1. Matt Harvey (ideally, but unlikely)/Jon Niese
            2. Bronson Arroyo
            3. Dillon Gee
            4. Zach Wheeler
            5. Aaron Harang

Montero has spent less than a full season at Triple-A, so I'd have him start there in 2014. I'd probably trade Mejia in a package to secure the Mets a decent shortstop.

Comment

Oh crap, I totally forgot about Harvey and the likelihood of surgery.

So, he'll probably have Tommy John surgery, putting him out for the rest of the year. In that case, I'd invest in Bronson Arroyo or a similar free agent, and have my rotation look like this:

1. Matt Harvey (ideally, but unlikely)/Jon Niese
              2. Bronson Arroyo
              3. Dillon Gee
              4. Zach Wheeler
              5. Aaron Harang

Montero has spent less than a full season at Triple-A, so I'd have him start there in 2014. I'd probably trade Mejia in a package to secure the Mets a decent shortstop.
              Yeah they should keep Montero because 1. he's the closest and best right now and 2. Syndergaard is more highly touted but farther away, easiest to get return for, in my view.
              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

This rotation could benefit with another lefty starter. Jon Niese is the only lefty.
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

pet peeve- he's the future and one of our best starters- his name is Zack.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                    pet peeve- he's the future and one of our best starters- his name is Zack.
                    Yeah I hate when people spell Zach Wheeler's name wrong too.

Comment

Yeah I hate when people spell Zach Wheeler's name wrong too.
                      and you wouldn't believe how many people still say Tom Seaver instead of Tim.

Comment

It was really quite a pleasant surprise to see Daisuke's turnaround. I really thought he was done.

From what I've read, he wants to come back to the Mets, and they will give him a chance to win a job.
                        I'm more keen on Matsuzaka than Harang.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                          It was really quite a pleasant surprise to see Daisuke's turnaround. I really thought he was done.

From what I've read, he wants to come back to the Mets, and they will give him a chance to win a job.
                          I'm more keen on Matsuzaka than Harang.
                          Amen. I could never stand Harang.

Comment

Jon Niese
                            Zack Wheeler
                            Dillon Gee
                            Daisuke Matsuzaka
                            Bronson Arroyo-who I think the Mets will sign as a free agent
                            "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
                            at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Niese/Wheeler/Gee seems set...

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...11984&c_id=nym

I don't imagine for a second it could happen long-term (probably won't happen at all) but assuming 2014 is another gear-up year (I doubt we seriously contend without Harvey, so it looks like 2015 is the year we're really shooting for) but I actually wouldn't be opposed to bringing Johan back...

He has to be at least as good as an over-the-hill Dice-K, I'd like to see him finish up his Mets career in better fashion, and if he performs decently maybe we can deal him at the All-Star Break?

He won't get nearly as much as he would have years ago, but still, if he pitches decently, a team looking for a 3-month rental or so for the playoffs might pick him up, and we might then be able to get a bat for him.

Unless keeping him on would be more costly? I'm not great with figures, so I'm not a baseball finance guy, so for all I know bringing him back could be a financial nightmare.

Just saying.
                              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X