No announcement yet.

Mets 2014 Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would love to see the Mets sign a soft tossing lefty like Chris Capuano and 'piggyback' him with Mejia. Have Mejia start and have him pitch 4 to 5 innings and then use Capuano in relief each time Mejia starts and have him go 3 to 4 innings. Mejia has too much of a violent motion to last continually deep into games and he has never been successful as a reliever. By paring him with a soft tossing lefty, this gives the opponents a completely different look the 3rd and 4th times thru the order.

Comment

Didn't the Mets already try Capuano? (Rhetorical question, yes they did and he failed).

Comment

Originally posted by Met Dean View Post
        Would love to see the Mets sign a soft tossing lefty like Chris Capuano and 'piggyback' him with Mejia. Have Mejia start and have him pitch 4 to 5 innings and then use Capuano in relief each time Mejia starts and have him go 3 to 4 innings. Mejia has too much of a violent motion to last continually deep into games and he has never been successful as a reliever. By paring him with a soft tossing lefty, this gives the opponents a completely different look the 3rd and 4th times thru the order.
        Just the combo to strike fear into the hearts of the Cardinals, Dodgers, Braves, Pirates, Reds, etc.....:joking:

Comment

Colon
          Niese
          Wheeler
          Gee
          Mejia/Montero

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
            Colon
            Niese
            Wheeler
            Gee
            Mejia/Montero
            Considering Harvey's out, that's not bad - I'd like to see Montero get the shot depending on ST. Syndergaard is farther away and shouldn't be rushed. Mejia could be wild card if he stays healthy. Colon....well, I think he'll get hurt in the NL with a bat in his hands, but I could be wrong.

One big worry - potential Wheeler sophomore slump, especially without Harvey there to inspire/protect. He's not the same kind of bulldog as Harvey is, great stuff but a bit more fragile.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
              Considering Harvey's out, that's not bad - I'd like to see Montero get the shot depending on ST. Syndergaard is farther away and shouldn't be rushed. Mejia could be wild card if he stays healthy. Colon....well, I think he'll get hurt in the NL with a bat in his hands, but I could be wrong.

One big worry - potential Wheeler sophomore slump, especially without Harvey there to inspire/protect. He's not the same kind of bulldog as Harvey is, great stuff but a bit more fragile.
              In a perfect world I would think Niese and Wheeler will put up better numbers than Colon but I do not want either one of them to be labeled "the ace". Niese is not that kind of pitcher and Wheeler is too young.

Comment

Colon
                Niese
                Wheeler
                Gee
                Mejia/Montero
                I'm legitimately concerned about Wheeler's mechanics. I really hope he doesn't get hurt, but knowing the Mets...

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                  I'm legitimately concerned about Wheeler's mechanics. I really hope he doesn't get hurt, but knowing the Mets...
                  Chances are at some point he will get hurt. Very few pitchers make it through their entire career without some arm problems. Hopefully they can get some good years out of him.

Comment

Montero got sent down today. I have to say I'm a little surprised.

Comment

Colon
                      Niese
                      Wheeler
                      Gee
                      Mejia/Montero
                      So far Gee is the ace. Hope he continues and the others step up.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                        So far Gee is the ace. Hope he continues and the others step up.
                        The ace by far.

Comment

The Mets were born in 1962. If you throw out the first few expansion seasons, the Mets have done really well for most (not all) of their existence with pitching. The farm system throughout most of their existence (with some lean periods thrown in ) has done well with pitching. The Met's have had a few hall of fame types, several more all star types, a lot of very good/durable types, and of course some that did not pan out. Overall, I think they have done really well grooming these young pitchers, way better than most MLB teams. Yes, I know teams like the Braves also do a great job with pitching, but i think many people that follow baseball equate the Mets with pitching.

On the other side of the coin, how many good MLB hitters have come up through the Mets farm system? Straw, Cleon, Wright, Reyes...I'm running out of names. There are others, but certainly nothing to compare to the pitching.

In 2014, Gee has been the ace. Colon has pitched a little better than I expected, because I thought he would just flat out stink. I have always liked Niese. However, so far Wheeler has taken a step or two backwards this year. I am not sold on him yet. He could pan out, but right now he doesn't look like a number two starter (Koosman) let alone an ace (Seaver)

And every time someone reports that Harvey is already throwing, I just wish he would relax, hang out in Florida, forget about 2014, and go look for girls on the beach. He doesn't need to be in Manhattan nor do I really want to see him pitching until 2015.
                          Last edited by mandrake; 05-05-2014, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                            The Mets were born in 1962. If you throw out the first few expansion seasons, the Mets have done really well for most (not all) of their existence with pitching. The farm system throughout most of their existence (with some lean periods thrown in ) has done well with pitching. The Met's have had a few hall of fame types, several more all star types, a lot of very good/durable types, and of course some that did not pan out. Overall, I think they have done really well grooming these young pitchers, way better than most MLB teams. Yes, I know teams like the Braves also do a great job with pitching, but i think many people that follow baseball equate the Mets with pitching.

On the other side of the coin, how many good MLB hitters have come up through the Mets farm system? Straw, Cleon, Wright, Reyes...I'm running out of names. There are others, but certainly nothing to compare to the pitching.

In 2014, Gee has been the ace. Colon has pitched a little better than I expected, because I thought he would just flat out stink. I have always liked Niese. However, so far Wheeler has taken a step or two backwards this year. I am not sold on him yet. He could pan out, but right now he doesn't look like a number two starter (Koosman) let alone an ace (Seaver)

And every time someone reports that Harvey is already throwing, I just wish he would relax, hang out in Florida, forget about 2014, and go look for girls on the beach. He doesn't need to be in Manhattan nor do I really want to see him pitching until 2015.
                            I think the Mets thought of a as pitching rich organization is way overblown. Maybe if you compare it to their paltry development of hitters, then yes they are pitching rich, but the Mets have been around for 50+ years now and what real notable names have been developed and have been Mets through the bulk of their career? Lets be real here....Seaver, Gooden, Darling, Koosman...ok now I am running out of names.

Now consider that Shea was a pitchers park, and that disgusting hole in the ground that is now their home is also a pitchers park.....they haven't been a real pitching juggernaut.

Comment

The only problem with Harvey looking for girls on the beach in PSL is the average age is around 70! And most of the lookers have made there way back north by now!

Comment

I agree with most of what you said but I would like to see Wheeler throw in the warm weather for a while before I cast judgement. I am pretty happy with this current rotation. I would like to see a few of the AAA pitchers up by June and see if the bullpen can be strengthened and maybe make a trade and I think this team will be heading in the right direction. Yes, I just used that phrase!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X