• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013/2014 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Smile Away.
    Put it in the books.

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
    Smile Away.
    Very glad to see that rumors of your demise have been greatly exaggerated Milla !

Last year, the Mets started selling all sorts of plans in order to get those ASG tickets. And with the possibility of no Harvey, what are the Mets going to use to sell fans on tickets. They have seen the Citi Field attendance drop from 2009's 3,154,270 to 2013's 2,135,657.....which was only 852 more than Arizona down in 22nd place in MLB.

With SNY ratings down about 30% in a year, (last reports were about a 1.8) what does Met management do to try to avoid dropping even further down the list at the gate, and to reverse the drop on TV.

We know there are a few diehards here who think the ship is sailing in the right direction, and that the Mets have made some sound baseball moves lately, but when you lose 1 out of every 3 fans in 5 seasons, there is a HUGE problem.

This off season will be a chance to go land some big name draws, or the off season can see a further eroding of the ticket base and TV audience. Sandy, it's your pitch....after you go and find a radio station that wants the Mets.
    Last edited by mandrake; 09-30-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I am not sure how the even the most optimistic fan can be optimistic going into this off season. There will be no Harvey, and Byrd. The oncoming bright spot was the starting pitching. The loss of Harvey definitely puts a big dent in that.

The Mets have been very short on good everyday players for a long time now. They don't have much coming through their system and I don't expect them to spend enough to turn that around.

Too early to make a prediction on the 2014, but based on the loss of Harvey and the probability that they wont spend its hard to predict any type of significant improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        I am not sure how the even the most optimistic fan can be optimistic going into this off season. There will be no Harvey, and Byrd. The oncoming bright spot was the starting pitching. The loss of Harvey definitely puts a big dent in that.

The Mets have been very short on good everyday players for a long time now. They don't have much coming through their system and I don't expect them to spend enough to turn that around.

Too early to make a prediction on the 2014, but based on the loss of Harvey and the probability that they wont spend its hard to predict any type of significant improvement.
        No Byrd? In February he signed a minor league contract with the Mets. No Byrd and that is one of the reasons you are not sure how even the most optimistc fan can be optimistic this off season?

Paulypal you predicted 65-97 in 2012 and 69-93 in 2013. They were 74-88 both seasons. Could you maybe predict around 85-90 wins for 2014 so they better your prediction by 5-9 wins like the last 2 years?
        Last edited by LI METS FAN; 10-01-2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

And Byrd is STILL the Word...

The Mets' gift to the Pirates pays off, 1-0 Pittsburgh early!
          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

2-0 on the Martin HR!
            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
              And Byrd is STILL the Word...

The Mets' gift to the Pirates pays off, 1-0 Pittsburgh early!
              good for Byrd

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                good for Byrd
                Yeah, he's just one more reason to root for the Pirates...3-0 in the 4th now, Cincy just got its first hit for runners at 1st and 2nd with 1 out...

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                  No Byrd? In February he signed a minor league contract with the Mets. No Byrd and that is one of the reasons you are not sure how even the most optimistc fan can be optimistic this off season?

Paulypal you predicted 65-97 in 2012 and 69-93 in 2013. They were 74-88 both seasons. Could you maybe predict around 85-90 wins for 2014 so they better your prediction by 5-9 wins like the last 2 years?
                  Yes....no Byrd. He turned out to be very productive and if not for Byrd they have several more losses to say the least. Who knew in February...but it turned out to be that way. So yes if you lose one of your best players there is less of a reason to be optimistic.

As far as my predictions - I rather err on the side of caution instead predicting something ridiculous. Honestly they did play better than I thought they would in both years......but they still sucked so lets not get carried away.

On the other hand in my mind.....if you don't make the playoffs with the current playoff format then you did nothing.
                  I know some Met fans would see .500 as this huge accomplishment and it seems to be a goal. When 1/3 of the teams make the playoffs and you don't make it....you didn't have a good season.

Losing as much as winning is not a good season.
                  Last edited by Paulypal; 10-03-2013, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Every year produces surprises. And only 20% of MLB teams are guaranteed more than 1 playoff game. 4 Teams get a shot at more than 1 game. It will be a while yet for the Mets.

I'd rather it be that way than the NFL, NBA and NHL where its hard not to make the Playoffs.

Comment

Yes....no Byrd. He turned out to be very productive and if not for Byrd they have several less losses to say the least. Who knew in February...but it turned out to be that way. So yes if you lose one of your best players there is less of a reason to be optimistic.

As far as my predictions - I rather err on the side of caution instead predicting something ridiculous. Honestly they did play better than I thought they would in both years......but they still sucked so lets not get carried away.

On the other hand in my mind.....if you don't make the playoffs with the current playoff format then you did nothing.
                      I know some Met fans would see .500 as this huge accomplishment and it seems to be a goal. When 1/3 of the teams make the playoffs and you don't make it....you didn't have a good season.

Losing as much as winning is not a good season.
                      With tie breakers, it is now above 1 of 3. It's 11 of 30 or 37% this season.

Up until '69 it was 2 teams; then 4 teams; now 10 plus tie breakers.....and still the Mets have missed out 7 straight years. Even the Cubs have made the post season more recently than the Mets.

But there's folks here that think the Wilpons are leading this franchise to the promised land. Remember when Yankee haters used to say "wait until George dies, the franchise will die too". Well.....what happens when Fred dies and suddenly Little Jeff is king of Queens? :stupidme:

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                        Every year produces surprises. And only 20% of MLB teams are guaranteed more than 1 playoff game. 4 Teams get a shot at more than 1 game. It will be a while yet for the Mets.

I'd rather it be that way than the NFL, NBA and NHL where its hard not to make the Playoffs.
                        I agree with you that I rather it being harder than the other sports.

Very good on the word scramble - And only 20% of MLB teams are guaranteed more than 1 playoff game. Call it how you like but 33% of the teams make the playoffs.....1 game or 40 games....they make the playoffs. The Reds made the playoffs.....didnt they? How many games they play is up to the team once they get there. If the Mets lost in the 1 game WC play in game I would say they made the playoffs and had a good year.

I also agree its going to be a while for the Mets.....hence my lack of optimism. That has been my stance since I started posting here in 2009. Others have been blindly optimistic and some of us --- not so much. Some believed Pelfrey, and Ollie were going to be ace types....some believed Duda, and Kirk were going to be all stars. Some of us didnt.

When it was just two divisions and 4 teams made the playoffs -- ok you can look for improvements without making the playoffs when only 4 of 24-28 teams make the playoffs (depending on the year). Now 10 teams make it of 30 so I gauge it differently.
                        Last edited by Paulypal; 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Very good on the word scramble - And only 20% of MLB teams are guaranteed more than 1 playoff game. Call it how you like but 33% of the teams make the playoffs.....1 game or 40 games....they make the playoffs. The Reds made the playoffs.....didnt they? How many games they play is up to the team once they get there. If the Mets lost in the 1 game WC play in game I would say they made the playoffs and had a good year. I also agree its going to be a while for the Mets.....hence my lack of optimism. That has been my stance since I started posting here in 2009. Others have been blindly optimistic and some of us --- not so much. Some believed Pelfrey, and Ollie were going to be ace types....some believed Duda, and Kirk were going to be all stars. Some of us didnt.

When it was just two divisions and 4 teams made the playoffs -- ok you can look for improvements without making the playoffs when only 4 of 24-28 teams make the playoffs (depending on the year). Now 10 teams make it of 30 so I gauge it differently.

I will have to believe you on that one. That you would say the Mets had a good year, I mean.

Comment

Very good on the word scramble - And only 20% of MLB teams are guaranteed more than 1 playoff game. Call it how you like but 33% of the teams make the playoffs.....1 game or 40 games....they make the playoffs. The Reds made the playoffs.....didnt they? How many games they play is up to the team once they get there. If the Mets lost in the 1 game WC play in game I would say they made the playoffs and had a good year.

I also agree its going to be a while for the Mets.....hence my lack of optimism. That has been my stance since I started posting here in 2009. Others have been blindly optimistic and some of us --- not so much. Some believed Pelfrey, and Ollie were going to be ace types....some believed Duda, and Kirk were going to be all stars. Some of us didnt.

And some of us thought the 2013 team would have the worst outfield ever, that Zach Wheeler would be a bust and that the Wilpons would be forced to sell the team. See, we must ALL be Met fans, plenty of wrong to go around.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                              And some of us thought the 2013 team would have the worst outfield ever, that Zach Wheeler would be a bust and that the Wilpons would be forced to sell the team. See, we must ALL be Met fans, plenty of wrong to go around.
                              Mets fans are used to finding fault in things.
                              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X