Bartolo Colon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartolo Colon

Ok - I like the move. Call me crazy. He can still pitch and its only a 2 year deal.

They just need another bat at least.

The local Shake Shack just saw its' revenue increase tenfold.

Comment

Not crazy about deal but it's a flyer. Guy is 40+, huge, could be broken down by June. Or he could repeat his Oakland year. Was surprised by second year.
      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
        The local Shake Shack just saw its' revenue increase tenfold.
        Can you imagine this guy running the bases?
        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
          Can you imagine this guy running the bases?
          Running? No.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
            Running? No.
            How about waddling the bases?
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

I don't like the deal. Last year could have been a fluke.

MLB record 2006-2012 was 32 wins 40 losses. era's of 5.11 6.34 3.92 4.19 4.00 3.43

5'11'' 265 lbs (check the scale) and 40 yrs old .

Comment

I guess they figure delaying arbitration and free agency for Synergaard/Montero etc. will save them more than Colon will cost? Otherwise it doesn't make sense to sign Colon with all the pitchers that are supposed to be on their way.

This only makes sense if they plan on packaging Gee and/or Niese to fill some other holes. Probably Murphy and/or Ike would be shipped out in such a trade. Getting rid of Murphy and Ike more or less pays for Colon plus it delays arbitration on Minor League pitchers.

From a pure baseball perspective Colon is a screwy move if Syndergaard and Montero are as good as they're supposed to be so you have to look for ways this makes sense to the Wilpons. It will be interesting to see what's next.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  Ok - I like the move. Call me crazy. He can still pitch and its only a 2 year deal.

They just need another bat at least.
                  I will call you crazy, Pauly--

A steroid user and one over 40 at that?

Not a terrible contract, but given that without Harvey the season's likely a warmup for 2015, I'd have preferred they give Synergaard or Montero some big league experience instead.

But speaking of a bat...

There's talk the Dodgers could trade one of their four major outfielders...it obviously won't be Puig...

Kemp would be out of our price range, but Ethier might be doable.
                  "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                    I guess they figure delaying arbitration and free agency for Synergaard/Montero etc. will save them more than Colon will cost? Otherwise it doesn't make sense to sign Colon with all the pitchers that are supposed to be on their way.

This only makes sense if they plan on packaging Gee and/or Niese to fill some other holes. Probably Murphy and/or Ike would be shipped out in such a trade. Getting rid of Murphy and Ike more or less pays for Colon plus it delays arbitration on Minor League pitchers.

From a pure baseball perspective Colon is a screwy move if Syndergaard and Montero are as good as they're supposed to be so you have to look for ways this makes sense to the Wilpons. It will be interesting to see what's next.
                    I find bits and pieces of truth in every comment you have in this post. I do think Alderson is currently steering this ship. He does have a definitive "plan". I also realize 29 other teams have "a plan" and all of them cannot be 100% successful . He is trying to build the best team he can within a fairly concrete budget. One move may be made which standing alone may not seem to make sense but is made to set up another move. I think he is the right guy for this job under the circumstances the Mets are in. I can say with confidence that when Alderson is negotiating with players/teams he is usually the smartest guy in the room and I also think he is not afraid to walk away or make a deal caused by public pressure. I think the Mets would be in a lot worse shape without him.

I think my feelings/thought process can be summed up best with Alderson's statement during one of the interviews last night. "Let this play out and see where we end up".

Comment

This is a great add for the Mets. Colon is a solid starter and for two years. Not bad, especially in this market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Honestly I don't understand NOT liking the deal. There is not other pitcher to be had as the price of Arroyo is getting higher on a daily basis. Yes he is huge but he can pitch while he is huge he proved that.

Steroids: I don't care. Professional athletes should be allowed to take them under some rules and regulations. Banning them is quite hypocritical in my opinion, but that's another story for another thread.

Colon was not going to sign for one year and based upon last year he shouldn't have to. Two years at 10M is a good deal for the Mets.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                          Honestly I don't understand NOT liking the deal. There is not other pitcher to be had as the price of Arroyo is getting higher on a daily basis. Yes he is huge but he can pitch while he is huge he proved that.

Steroids: I don't care. Professional athletes should be allowed to take them under some rules and regulations. Banning them is quite hypocritical in my opinion, but that's another story for another thread.

Colon was not going to sign for one year and based upon last year he shouldn't have to. Two years at 10M is a good deal for the Mets.
                          He will be injured while batting/bunting or running, and spend significant time on the DL. Too easy a prediction to make!
                          Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                            I find bits and pieces of truth in every comment you have in this post. I do think Alderson is currently steering this ship. He does have a definitive "plan". I also realize 29 other teams have "a plan" and all of them cannot be 100% successful . He is trying to build the best team he can within a fairly concrete budget. One move may be made which standing alone may not seem to make sense but is made to set up another move. I think he is the right guy for this job under the circumstances the Mets are in. I can say with confidence that when Alderson is negotiating with players/teams he is usually the smartest guy in the room and I also think he is not afraid to walk away or make a deal caused by public pressure. I think the Mets would be in a lot worse shape without him.

I think my feelings/thought process can be summed up best with Alderson's statement during one of the interviews last night. "Let this play out and see where we end up".
                            Just don't see it. Alderson is one of those guys who "plays one on TV" but doesn't bring the goods. He's just not that sharp, in my view. Middle of the pack at best - and couple that with ownership, it's a kettle of steaming rotten fish at Citi.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

So how do you know this? As a GM, his last winning season was 1992. Imagine him as GM of the Yankees? Imagine him fired?

Omar's Mets averaged 85 wins a year. Sandy averages 75 wins with the Mets so far. as in 77, 74, 74. If he is the smartest guy in the room, then I don't know why he has not won a single World Series with ANY team, even with big budgets, since 1989.

Since 2000. Red Sox 3, Giants 2, Cardinals 2, Yankees 2, Angels-White Sox-Phillies-Diamond Backs-Marlins all with one. If Sandy is the smartest guy in the room, I'd hate to see how many games the Mets would win if they hired dopes.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X