X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rjsallstars
    replied
    Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Gotta give Colon credit. Big two innings last night.
    All Colon does is get people out. I wonder where he will wind up next year? Mets 5th starter would be fine with me. Feed, I mean pay the man!!

Leave a comment:

• rjsallstars
    replied
    Gotta give Colon credit. Big two innings last night.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Back in 2012 when everyone thought getting Santana and Bay off the books would result in reinvestment in payroll, I said the organization wouldn't spend until a little before projected mall launch in 2017:

My guess was the Mets would finally be competitive in 2016. That apparently was the Plan but "premature" promotions and the resulting surprise contention led to important holes being filled the last 2 months of this season rather than the start of next.

It'll be interesting to see how the next few seasons play out.
    It'll be interesting to see how THIS season plays out.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    Mongoose- didn't you target 2016 because of a mall project?
    Back in 2012 when everyone thought getting Santana and Bay off the books would result in reinvestment in payroll, I said the organization wouldn't spend until a little before projected mall launch in 2017:

As for the deal itself, if I were Wright I'm not sure I'd have done it. It's not about what he'd be getting paid. I don't see the Wilpons spending much until the mall complex surrounding "Citi" Field is about to open. There'll be plenty more losing until then. At the earliest he'll be approaching the late part of his prime when they're decent again. He deserves to play for a winner.
    My guess was the Mets would finally be competitive in 2016. That apparently was the Plan but "premature" promotions and the resulting surprise contention led to important holes being filled the last 2 months of this season rather than the start of next.

It'll be interesting to see how the next few seasons play out.

Leave a comment:

• EasilyFound
    replied
    FWIW, I am a fan of Colon. I did not intend to diminish his contribution to the team, just point out what I pointed out. As was noted, he has pitched well but for five games this year, even if those games were outside the NL East. I am enjoying this run, not worrying about anything. Anything. The same as the Giants in 2007. Whatever happens, happens.

Enjoy folks.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    The pattern, besides you misquoting me and creating straw man arguments, is you're feeling your Wheaties and scrapping for a fight.

Since 2012 I'd been saying the rebuild was targeted for 2016 and I didn't see them doing much before then. They did nothing this off-season and seemed cool with punting another season. Injuries forced them to bring up next season's talent earlier than planned. Under fan pressure they supplemented it with a few low risk rentals. They wound up fielding a contender 2 months earlier than I predicted - and than they apparently planned to.

They also haven't spent a whole lot yet. We'll see what happens with that. Regardless Alderson did a great job working within his budgetary limitations at the deadline.

Bear in mind I wouldn't be mentioning any of this now if you weren't obsessed with trying to tell me "I told you so". I'm not interested in criticizing anything at the moment: I don't see anything to criticize.

I suspect you must secretly like "negativity" since you're apparently committed to focusing on it, even where there is none.
    Mongoose- didn't you target 2016 because of a mall project?

Leave a comment:

• rjsallstars
    replied
    I have no idea what your point was. Unless responding to specific trollish prompts nobody was saying anything negative.

Over six miserable wasted years of baseball you referred often to your loyalty to the laundry and said winning and losing was irrelevant. Now you're saying winning is the only thing that's important. If it was your panties wouldn't still be in a bunch about past valid criticisms of the team's management.

You've expressed numerous times you consider yourself a hero for throwing money at Fred while he ransacked the team. I can't wave a magic wand and change the past but if you're looking for some sort of validation here's a cookie:

:bowdown:
    Mongoose, I think any rational person who has followed my posts the last few years would disagree with your comments. As far as saying I consider myself a "Hero", real bad timing and classless.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    I think I got my point across, now time to enjoy the games. The team winning is the only thing that is important, right?
    I have no idea what your point was. Unless responding to specific trollish prompts nobody was saying anything negative.

Over six miserable wasted years of baseball you referred often to your loyalty to the laundry and said winning and losing was irrelevant. Now you're saying winning is the only thing that's important. If it was your panties wouldn't still be in a bunch about past valid criticisms of the team's management.

You've expressed numerous times you consider yourself a hero for throwing money at Fred while he ransacked the team. I can't wave a magic wand and change the past but if you're looking for some sort of validation here's a cookie:

:bowdown:

Leave a comment:

• rjsallstars
    replied
    The pattern, besides you misquoting me and creating straw man arguments, is you're feeling your Wheaties and scrapping for a fight.

Since 2012 I'd been saying the rebuild was targeted for 2016 and I didn't see them doing much before then. They did nothing this off-season and seemed cool with punting another season. Injuries forced them to bring up next season's talent earlier than planned. Under fan pressure they supplemented it with a few low risk rentals. They wound up fielding a contender 2 months earlier than I predicted - and than they apparently planned to.

They also haven't spent a whole lot yet. We'll see what happens with that. Regardless Alderson did a great job working within his budgetary limitations at the deadline.

Bear in mind I wouldn't be mentioning any of this now if you weren't obsessed with trying to tell me "I told you so". I'm not interested in criticizing anything at the moment: I don't see anything to criticize.

I suspect you must secretly like "negativity" since you're apparently committed to focusing on it, even where there is none.
    I think I got my point across, now time to enjoy the games. The team winning is the only thing that is important, right?

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    So I guess the organization that never cared about winning all of a sudden woke up and said boy these guys are pissed, we need to do something? It couldn't be that for the 1st time in a while they had the talent on the roster and the division was for the taking so they did risk some young players to take a shot at it. I also might add they were able to do this without giving up any top prospects or hurting their current roster. The Gomez trade would have weakened infield depth and taken away what should be another proven starter for next year. Time will tell if Gomez has a hip problem but right now I will take the Cespedes trade. I give them credit for being able to pull off that trade after the Gomez trade fell through. Clippard came along to solidify the bullpen. That also contradicted your statements that the team would always just fall short trying of really build a winner. Now they have what looks to be a real solid team and you comment they could have and should have won sooner and they could have spent more wisely.

Maybe its me but I see a pattern here?

Leave a comment:

• rjsallstars
    replied
    Well then you never understood a thing I posted. I've said the Wilpon bottom line trumps all other considerations in management decisions. If it doesn't align with fielding the best team so be it. Simple.

Injuries and "overly cynical and wrong" criticism from press and fans led them to bring up Syndergaard, Matz and Conforto earlier than they wanted. This led to contention at the trading deadline which led to Cespedes Uribe Johnson and Clippard being added. The organization didn't exactly move on their own initiative. As you may recall the fan base was pretty close to insurrection after the Gomez trade didn't happen.

You're free to ignore all that if you want. You did and will probably continue to. But you've always claimed you don't like negativity...

If you don't like negativity don't be negative.
    So I guess the organization that never cared about winning all of a sudden woke up and said boy these guys are pissed, we need to do something? It couldn't be that for the 1st time in a while they had the talent on the roster and the division was for the taking so they did risk some young players to take a shot at it. I also might add they were able to do this without giving up any top prospects or hurting their current roster. The Gomez trade would have weakened infield depth and taken away what should be another proven starter for next year. Time will tell if Gomez has a hip problem but right now I will take the Cespedes trade. I give them credit for being able to pull off that trade after the Gomez trade fell through. Clippard came along to solidify the bullpen. That also contradicted your statements that the team would always just fall short trying of really build a winner. Now they have what looks to be a real solid team and you comment they could have and should have won sooner and they could have spent more wisely.

Maybe its me but I see a pattern here?

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    No, I am not calling you out. I think you know by now that if I do not agree with something you or anyone else says I will reply directly to that quote and try to get my point across in a respectful manner. So I am not sure why you may think I am alluding to you? Maybe you should ask yourself that question.

As far as Colon goes, trying to diminish his contribution to this team on the field and in the clubhouse by saying McHugh would have done better for less is weak at best. It does sound to me like a guy trying to prove he is right. Yes, you were spot on on Mchugh and I wish the Mets would have kept him. However, as a reasonable baseball fan for over 40 years I realize you will make some good moves and make some bad ones also. There will be some moves that seem like cant misses that blow up on a team and some reaches that turn to gold. That's just the way it goes.

I would like to say that today, right now, your total view of Mets organization is being proven overly cynical and wrong. I think you have went from them not wanting to win at all, to not trying hard enough to win, to trying to win but picking the wrong players, to now winning but if they listened to you they could have won quicker and for less money.

I will always remember the guy who sat in front of me on Saturday's at Shea in the 80s who was too busy complaining that Sisk sucked, Santana had no range, Foster was a rip off, Mazzilli was a shell of himself, Carter was no Bench or even Grote behind the plate, Darryl only hustled when he felt like it, the hot dogs sucked and the bathrooms were filthy to enjoy what was probably the best time to ever be a Mets fan. I felt sorry for the guy but not sorry enough to allow him to take from the enjoyment of my favorite team. Some things will never change.
    Well then you never understood a thing I posted. I've said the Wilpon bottom line trumps all other considerations in management decisions. If it doesn't align with fielding the best team so be it. Simple.

Injuries and "overly cynical and wrong" criticism from press and fans led them to bring up Syndergaard, Matz and Conforto earlier than they wanted. This led to contention at the trading deadline which led to Cespedes Uribe Johnson and Clippard being added. The organization didn't exactly move on their own initiative. As you may recall the fan base was pretty close to insurrection after the Gomez trade didn't happen.

You're free to ignore all that if you want. You did and will probably continue to. But you've always claimed you don't like negativity...

Originally posted by rjsallstars
    I love it when people go to great lengths telling everyone when they are right but spend little time commenting on their mistakes. I guess many still have a need to be the smartest kid in the sixth grade. Sad, but worth the read.
    If you don't like negativity don't be negative.

Leave a comment:

• rjsallstars
    replied
    For the second time this thread I feel like I'm being specifically called out (regardless of who you quoted). I never said Colon sucked. I said the resources used to sign him could have been spent more effectively - which is true. I'm pleased he's having a good run. Also the fact that, after a season and a half, the Mets finally filled the empty holes now makes the issue moot.

If you're addressing me please specify which mistakes you want me to comment on.
    No, I am not calling you out. I think you know by now that if I do not agree with something you or anyone else says I will reply directly to that quote and try to get my point across in a respectful manner. So I am not sure why you may think I am alluding to you? Maybe you should ask yourself that question.

As far as Colon goes, trying to diminish his contribution to this team on the field and in the clubhouse by saying McHugh would have done better for less is weak at best. It does sound to me like a guy trying to prove he is right. Yes, you were spot on on Mchugh and I wish the Mets would have kept him. However, as a reasonable baseball fan for over 40 years I realize you will make some good moves and make some bad ones also. There will be some moves that seem like cant misses that blow up on a team and some reaches that turn to gold. That's just the way it goes.

I would like to say that today, right now, your total view of Mets organization is being proven overly cynical and wrong. I think you have went from them not wanting to win at all, to not trying hard enough to win, to trying to win but picking the wrong players, to now winning but if they listened to you they could have won quicker and for less money.

I will always remember the guy who sat in front of me on Saturday's at Shea in the 80s who was too busy complaining that Sisk sucked, Santana had no range, Foster was a rip off, Mazzilli was a shell of himself, Carter was no Bench or even Grote behind the plate, Darryl only hustled when he felt like it, the hot dogs sucked and the bathrooms were filthy to enjoy what was probably the best time to ever be a Mets fan. I felt sorry for the guy but not sorry enough to allow him to take from the enjoyment of my favorite team. Some things will never change.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I can't imagine Colon not being on the post-season roster. Who would be there instead? Jon Niese? Colon has earned the chance, and it's probably the last one he'll have.
    I want whats best for the Mets. I guess a lot depends on what happens with our Docile Flower Matthew Harvey. I would like to see Colon pitch, but if the better option for the Mets is not have him on the roster so be it.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Fuzzy math. Colon has taken the ball in a pennant race and been the teams most dependable starter the last month of the season. He is 42 years old!! Give the guy some credit.

I love it when people go to great lengths telling everyone when they are right but spend little time commenting on their mistakes. I guess many still have a need to be the smartest kid in the sixth grade. Sad, but worth the read.
    For the second time this thread I feel like I'm being specifically called out (regardless of who you quoted). I never said Colon sucked. I said the resources used to sign him could have been spent more effectively - which is true. I'm pleased he's having a good run. Also the fact that, after a season and a half, the Mets finally filled the empty holes now makes the issue moot.

If you're addressing me please specify which mistakes you want me to comment on.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X