Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Alderson bury Collins with his prediction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    Girardi was the manager - as the field boss especially on a team with young players much of his job description is firing up those kids to play, managing their enthusiasm.

Pauly's point is that the GM's job is to put talent on the field. Spewing ridiculous predictions about a 90-win team with the low talent level of the Mets - and don't fool yourself, it's a low talent team compared to contenders - is well outside the GM's job description.
    Ok, I see your point. Now what? What are the consequences of being outside a GM's job description?

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
      Girardi was the manager - as the field boss especially on a team with young players much of his job description is firing up those kids to play, managing their enthusiasm.

Pauly's point is that the GM's job is to put talent on the field. Spewing ridiculous predictions about a 90-win team with the low talent level of the Mets - and don't fool yourself, it's a low talent team compared to contenders - is well outside the GM's job description.
      Exactly - the field manager doing is another story. I still dont agree with it but its more acceptable. I still dont like any ridiculous predictions.

Quiet confidence is the way to go when your coming from an underdog position.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
        Now what? What are the consequences of being outside a GM's job description?
        Other than appearing foolish?

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        Quiet confidence is the way to go when your coming from an underdog position.
        I wholeheartedly agree.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
          Other than appearing foolish?

I wholeheartedly agree.
          I do not think Alderson's statement was realistic and if I did not respect his baseball tenure I would say it was bush league. I get the wanting to create a winning culture but that is the managers and to a lesser extent the players responsibility. The GM should build the team and keep his mouth shut, there should be a strict chain of command. I would think Alderson should know this because of his military background. Hopefully, he knows something we do not about this current squad to make such a bold prediction.

Mandrake, you have an open invitation to attend a game with me in the 1st row of the steerage section in the nicest newer ballpark in NYC this year. Lets try to figure out a game to go to once the season gets closer and the weather gets warmer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X