Perfect example of why the Mets lose at Citi Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect example of why the Mets lose at Citi Field

Quite simply last night's game against the Yankees is a loss not a win in Citi Field. Saturday nights game against the Phil should have been a win as Murphy crushed a ball to RCF only to be caught on the track. I know because I was at the game.

All of this pitchers park, lets build around a pitchers park is just crap. You need to hit to win. You need the ability to have "instant offense" to come back in games where the pitchers don't have it.

I really believe that an analysis was done by our favorite ownership group came up with that it is cheaper to have a pitching and defensive team than an offensive team. Great offensive everyday players overall cost more.

Of course someone is going to mention the Giants in this thread as an answer. My answer to you is they still hit, and had power. They also did have the MVP on their team. There are always exceptions to rules, but overall great teams had great pitching, AND great hitting. Yankees, Big Red Machine, A's of the early 70's, Red Sox, Mets of 1986. Yes all these teams had excellent pitching, but look at the lineups of those teams. They were stacked, and stacked with power.

Remove the power, and remove the WS Trophy.

The idea that your going to win a title with pitching, defense, bunting, stolen bases, hit and runs...etc. Good luck with that. Lets exhume Wee Willie Keeler and "hit em where they aint"

I agree, to an extent. The Mets are trying to play Dead Ball Era baseball nearly 100 years after the Dead Ball Era ended. The Citi Morgue is conducive to that kind of thinking. Dave Hudgens teaches that kind of a swing.

By the way, believe it or not, Yankee Stadium is becoming less and less of a hitter's park.

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
      I agree, to an extent. The Mets are trying to play Dead Ball Era baseball nearly 100 years after the Dead Ball Era ended. The Citi Morgue is conducive to that kind of thinking. Dave Hudgens teaches that kind of a swing.

By the way, believe it or not, Yankee Stadium is becoming less and less of a hitter's park.
      I agree with you - the Dead Ball Era is just that....DEAD

Its conducive to it, but it is boring as hell baseball.

Comment

From today's Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702

excerpts:

The Mets moved the fences in at Citi Field to make it easier to hit home runs in the notoriously cavernous ballpark.

But why waste time with such half-measures? If the Mets really wanted to fix their impotent offense, they should have just contracted with the Yankees to play their home games in Yankee Stadium.

The Yankees and Mets took full advantage of Yankee Stadium's short right-field fence to stage a home-run derby Monday night, with the Mets hitting four homers, three of which might have been outs if they were hit at Citi Field.

The Yankees, who also know how to win in their home park, did their best to counter with a Brett Gardner grand slam, but the Mets' quantity-over-quality approach won the day as they took the first game of this year's Subway Series, 9-7.

"In this ballpark, the game's never over," said Mets captain David Wright. "There's no lead that's safe here. You have to score, you have to score often, especially against an offense like that."

Mets catcher Travis d'Arnaud's average was hovering around .200 entering play Monday, and he was barely producing at the plate. Then he came to Yankee Stadium, where he was able to plop a fifth-inning home run into the seats to help get the Mets back in the game, 4-2 in the fifth.

In stepped outfielder Chris Young, who had two home runs on the year. He broke the tie with a blast that would be out of any park, deep into the left-field seats, to give the Mets a 9-7 lead that they would keep. Even so, the specter of Citi Field haunted Young.

"When I came into the dugout, I told the guys, 'If we were playing at Citi Field, I'm sprinting out of the box right there,'" Young said. "I think it gets out—I think it gets out at Citi Field, but either way you're running full speed because you never know."

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
          Quite simply last night's game against the Yankees is a loss not a win in Citi Field. Saturday nights game against the Phil should have been a win as Murphy crushed a ball to RCF only to be caught on the track. I know because I was at the game.
          You may have been at the game, but you still can't possibly know what would have happened if the game had been played at a different ballpark.

Comment

Citi Field was the tenth easiest park in MLB in which to hit a HR in 2013 -- although the numbers are very different so far in 2014, but the Mets pitching is improved and players like Granderson and Wright have had some struggles.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfac.../sort/HRFactor
            Last edited by Dugmet; 05-13-2014, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugmet View Post
              Citi Field was the tenth easiest park in MLB in which to hit a HR in 2013 -- although the numbers are very different so far in 2014, but the Mets pitching is improved and players like Granderson and Wright have had some struggles.

So it is not the park?

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                So it is not the park?
                Mets all time record at Citi Field is 200 wins 222 losses. http://ultimatemets.com/parks.php?ThisPark=02

Mets all time record at Yankee Stadium (new) 7 wins 9 losses. Mets have won 4 straight at YS.

Mets games are more exciting at Yankee Stadium.

Maybe the Mets current team is built more for the friendly confines of YS right field?

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                  "When I came into the dugout, I told the guys, 'If we were playing at Citi Field, I'm sprinting out of the box right there,'" Young said. "I think it gets out—I think it gets out at Citi Field, but either way you're running full speed because you never know."[/I]
                  Baseball at its best....
                  :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                  Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Paulypal, I thought it was the players, not the ballpark (changing your tune again)?? What would be your answer if the mets sweep at home? Or if the Yanks sweep at Citifield?
                    :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Tonight will feature one of the premier pitchers in the AL vs a call up. Hopefully this will be about pitching and not the ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by trepye View Post
                        Paulypal, I thought it was the players, not the ballpark (changing your tune again)?? What would be your answer if the mets sweep at home? Or if the Yanks sweep at Citifield?
                        Of course the Mets don't have the talent to win, but do see what happens if you put them in a park where they are able to play the game the RIGHT WAY. Its a different game, its more exciting. Trepye your dead ball era style of play is dead. The Mets will never win playing the ball you want them to play. They should open up a No-Doz concession at Citi Field to keep the fans awake.

Your efforts in trying to make me look bad are fairly futile. My opinion hasn't waivered. The Mets don't have enough talent to win & Citi Field is the biggest mistake this franchise has ever made in its 50+ years. That is my opinion and it doesn't budge.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                          In stepped outfielder Chris Young, who had two home runs on the year. He broke the tie with a blast that would be out of any park, deep into the left-field seats, to give the Mets a 9-7 lead that they would keep. Even so, the specter of Citi Field haunted Young.

"When I came into the dugout, I told the guys, 'If we were playing at Citi Field, I'm sprinting out of the box right there,'" Young said. "I think it gets out—I think it gets out at Citi Field, but either way you're running full speed because you never know."[/I]
                          This is all you need to know about what the players think and the mind set of playing your home games in Citi Field.

Yes they should run hard regardless before trepye jumps in, but the players mind set and approach are tainted in the Morgue.

Comment

Originally posted by trepye View Post
                            Maybe the Yankees just suck right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugmet View Post

And then of course there is this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...numbers/page/2
                              http://rotogrinders.com/pages/Ballpark_Factors-49556
                              http://www.billjamesonline.com/the_b...hitters_parks/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X