Perfect example of why the Mets lose at Citi Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Of course the Mets don't have the talent to win, but do see what happens if you put them in a park where they are able to play the game the RIGHT WAY. Its a different game, its more exciting.
    I am not sure what you mean by the "RIGHT WAY."

Tonight's game -- the first game at Citi Field -- is an example of where the Mets didn't, in spots, play the game the "right way." EY Jr. makes a bad play diving for a ball when he should have kept it in front of him with the AL pitcher due up with two outs, and easy way to get out of the inning. That cost the Mets a run.

Murphy played the game the right way -- stealing a base when the Yank$ fell asleep in the field. But the Mets couldn't capitalize by getting him home with a single.

Then, Chris Young gets the Mets second hit, a lead off single, and make a totally bonehead attempt to catch the Yank$ asleep again, and gets thrown out easily with Duda holding his . . . bat . . . in his hands.

I suppose, if this game had been played in Yankee Stadium, Wright's fly out would have been a HR, and that would have "erased" EY Jr's mental mistake, and perhaps the other Young might not have felt a need, after getting just the team's second hit, to try to "make something happen," and making a mental mistake.

Clearly, when runs are at a premium, when you can't just rely on a bloop and a blast for offense, you need to make less mistakes in other areas of the game. When playing in a band box, you can more often overcome mistakes. Less so when you can't.

Comment

It's not the ballpark, it's the lousy players.

Citi Field is middle of the pack in terms of homers. Yes, it's not a HR-friendly park, we know that. but for every game the home team loses, another team wins by playing baseball better. The park is a poor excuse, in my view. And any player who cites it? Including "the Captain?" ... should find employment elsewhere.
      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
        I am not sure what you mean by the "RIGHT WAY."

Tonight's game -- the first game at Citi Field -- is an example of where the Mets didn't, in spots, play the game the "right way." EY Jr. makes a bad play diving for a ball when he should have kept it in front of him with the AL pitcher due up with two outs, and easy way to get out of the inning. That cost the Mets a run.

Murphy played the game the right way -- stealing a base when the Yank$ fell asleep in the field. But the Mets couldn't capitalize by getting him home with a single.

Then, Chris Young gets the Mets second hit, a lead off single, and make a totally bonehead attempt to catch the Yank$ asleep again, and gets thrown out easily with Duda holding his . . . bat . . . in his hands.

I suppose, if this game had been played in Yankee Stadium, Wright's fly out would have been a HR, and that would have "erased" EY Jr's mental mistake, and perhaps the other Young might not have felt a need, after getting just the team's second hit, to try to "make something happen," and making a mental mistake.

Clearly, when runs are at a premium, when you can't just rely on a bloop and a blast for offense, you need to make less mistakes in other areas of the game. When playing in a band box, you can more often overcome mistakes. Less so when you can't.
        Originally posted by Strawman View Post
        It's not the ballpark, it's the lousy players.

Citi Field is middle of the pack in terms of homers. Yes, it's not a HR-friendly park, we know that. but for every game the home team loses, another team wins by playing baseball better. The park is a poor excuse, in my view. And any player who cites it? Including "the Captain?" ... should find employment elsewhere.
        Well of course the poor roster has a huge impact - I am not trying to say that if they played in YS that they would be a great team.

My point is that the Citi Morgue is a huge detriment to the offense. Huge. For example last night the Mets hit 3 balls that were gone in 75% of every other park - but they were 3 outs. Its not only home runs that I am talking about.....Look at the scoring in the ballpark factors that I linked above. Last or near the bottom in runs for BOTH teams.

If nobody else can see what a detriment Citi has been, and always will be then there really is nothing left to discuss. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X