X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you name this Mets player?

The first 703 games - Ages 21-25

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
    703 3048 2650 464 819 183 10 130 489 92 22 340 499 0.309 0.389 0.533 0.921 139

The next 717 games. Ages 26-31 PEAK years

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
    717 3107 2717 411 797 173 15 94 412 93 38 342 638 0.293 0.372 0.472 0.844 132

Trick question- the answer is no one.

David Wright is closest, but he won't be thru his age 31 season until the end of this year. The age 21-25 seasons were 2004-08 and age 26-30 were 2009-13. That would be apples to apples comparison of 5 yr time span to 5 yr time span. Also since baseball is a team sport, it had to have helped him that his team had 428 wins his first 5 seasons and only 374 his next 5 seasons.

But I guess you are saying that he is in decline. Is it because he is in decline or because he has played on really bad teams in the last 5 years?

Comment

Yes this is David Wright. You gotta keep in mind that his age 26 season was his first in Citi Field. That place isn't very homer friendly.
      Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Francoeurstein is probably correct but if he isn't, I say Darryl Strawberry!
        “I see great things in baseball.”
        Walt Whitman

Comment

Its David Wright....My point was not many players have a wasted peak when their development years were as excellent as Wrights.

The bigger part of my point was that Citi Field has taken away what would have been a Met everyday player to go into the HOF. Might I add the first everyday player to be a HOF'er.
          Last edited by Paulypal; 05-23-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
            Trick question- the answer is no one.

But I guess you are saying that he is in decline. Is it because he is in decline or because he has played on really bad teams in the last 5 years?
            Well geez I don't know...according to you I am talking about no one...so how could no one play on bad teams?

Comment

The answer IMO only is no one. I believe you think the answer is Wright, who could and has played on bad teams.

Comment

The answer IMO only is no one. I believe you think the answer is Wright, who could and has played on bad teams.
                So you think Wright actually declined during his peak years due to bad teams?

Comment

I think if he hit in front of Cano or Stanton we would be in awe. Of course we would be in awe if we had Cano or Stanton on this team.

Comment

I think if he hit in front of Cano or Stanton we would be in awe. Of course we would be in awe if we had Cano or Stanton on this team.
                    Nah he is not the same player

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      Its David Wright....My point was not many players have a wasted peak when their development years were as excellent as Wrights.

The bigger part of my point was that Citi Field has taken away what would have been a Met everyday player to go into the HOF. Might I add the first everyday player to be a HOF'er.
                      Nope it's not the park. It may be the talk of the "the park" got inside DW's head - but that's on him, his weakness, his fault. A slight drop-off in HR would be the park - a drop in all other numbers? No.
                      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

The two biggest differences are HR 130 down to 94 and K up 499 to 638. I guess to be fair, triples did go up from 10 to 15, which if you wanted to futz with the numbers could rave about being a 50% increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                          Nope it's not the park. It may be the talk of the "the park" got inside DW's head - but that's on him, his weakness, his fault. A slight drop-off in HR would be the park - a drop in all other numbers? No.
                          Strawman this post really makes it looks like you don't understand somethings about baseball, and I know that is not true. Your choosing to take this route for some anti Alderson, pro Reyes reason.

This is not a video game- David Wright is not a computer program that gets run by PS3. The thing that you seemingly don't understand is that when you play in park that plays 180 degrees from your strength the player is forced to do what? Well the park isn't going to change so the player has to change what has made him a success. David Wright had to change his WHOLE approach when what made him successful for 5 years now is his weakness. So YES when you change your approach and try to become another player ALL of your numbers will suffer.

David Wright was well on his way to a HOF career, but he was forced to "muscle up" to produce, and become a player he wasn't. So the K's go up the average's go down.

Anybody that's ever held a bat in their hands can easily see this. Its basically a no brainer to pick up on this. Any "fan" that doesn't see it or doesn't understand it when its explained is either just turning a deaf ear, or has an agenda.

Comment

Not to sidetrack. but it seemed to me that the park was designed to take advantage of Reyes' triples hitting prowess. When it first opened it seemed like he had 10 in the first six weeks. Any ball into the gap (chasm) in RCF was a chance to watch him fly around the bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                              Strawman this post really makes it looks like you don't understand somethings about baseball, and I know that is not true. Your choosing to take this route for some anti Alderson, pro Reyes reason.

This is not a video game- David Wright is not a computer program that gets run by PS3. The thing that you seemingly don't understand is that when you play in park that plays 180 degrees from your strength the player is forced to do what? Well the park isn't going to change so the player has to change what has made him a success. David Wright had to change his WHOLE approach when what made him successful for 5 years now is his weakness. So YES when you change your approach and try to become another player ALL of your numbers will suffer.

David Wright was well on his way to a HOF career, but he was forced to "muscle up" to produce, and become a player he wasn't. So the K's go up the average's go down.

Anybody that's ever held a bat in their hands can easily see this. Its basically a no brainer to pick up on this. Any "fan" that doesn't see it or doesn't understand it when its explained is either just turning a deaf ear, or has an agenda.
                              Only a weak baseball mind would try to "change his approach" to a freaking ballpark - I hope that's not the case with Wright, I like to think it's the beaning myself. You hit the ball where it's pitched, and you try to get a pitch you can hit hard. If David Wright is trying to hit homeruns in Citi Field he's a much more limited baseball player than we all thought - and certainly shouldn't be "captain" or "face of the franchise" - because it's pathetic. There are tons of doubles and triples and base hits in Citi Field - and perhaps 4-5 fewer HRs per year - for David Wright to find.

If he "changed his approach" it's entirely on him.

Also if I may, this constant harping on "agendas" is tiresome. It's just a dismissive way of describing someone's point of view or world view. We have all have views - we all have "agendas." It's too loaded a term for these discussions, I think.
                              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X