Dave Hudgens on The Sandy Alderson Hitting System....LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Hudgens on The Sandy Alderson Hitting System....LOL

Let me start by saying I think Hudgens teaching of mechanics is very poor, and he lacks in that area.

Hudgens was on Francessa today explaining this new aged hitting system that has never been heard before in the 150 years of baseball. Let me tell you before I list what this system is right from the horses mouth your going to be shocked at what Hudgens said this new crazy ass system is all about. I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

1) Swing at strikes
    2) the "system" is not about taking strikes right down the middle - its about getting a good pitch to hit. Players were encouraged to hammer hittable strikes.
    3) statistically less than 50% of pitches thrown are strikes so don't help the pitcher out if he cant help himself.
    4) let the pitcher get his pitch count up if he doesn't throw strikes

Pretty much it in a nutshell. WOW. I cant believe the blasphemy spelled out here.

Keith knocked the system, but followed the system to a "T".

Ted Williams preached this NEW system for 70 years. The idea that the above has destroyed the Mets hitting is probably the stupidest thing I ever heard.

Time to blame the roster because this "system" is flawless. I cant believe any system would teach anything else.

Good enough for Ted Williams...should be good enough for Keith.

Swing at strikes......wow what a novel idea.

well he is not going to say anything that makes him look bad. of course he counseled hitters to swing at strikes, not balls, and to work the count in the batter's favor, and not to take pitches thrown down b'dway and to 'hammer" hittable pitches. so take his pearls of wisdom with a grain or two of of salt.

Comment

The system isn't working for most of the MLB.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...-sabermetrics/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...aking-pitches/

And one describing how the Brewers are doing something completely in opposition.

http://m.si.com/4180259/how-the-brew...ting-approach/

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
        The system isn't working for most of the MLB.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...-sabermetrics/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...aking-pitches/

And one describing how the Brewers are doing something completely in opposition.

http://m.si.com/4180259/how-the-brew...ting-approach/
        Listen its a basic of hitting... get a good pitch to hit. There is no way around it. Some now call it a system, but its nothing new.

The Brewers will fade if they remain near the bottom in OBP, and "swing happy". Especially if they go out of the zone.

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
          well he is not going to say anything that makes him look bad. of course he counseled hitters to swing at strikes, not balls, and to work the count in the batter's favor, and not to take pitches thrown down b'dway and to 'hammer" hittable pitches. so take his pearls of wisdom with a grain or two of of salt.
          So then if you believe everything you just typed....what is so new age about this system? Its been around for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            So then if you believe everything you just typed....what is so new age about this system? Its been around for a while.

Here is my new hitting system. It's based on you can't make chicken salad from chicken manure. And despite a couple of pollyanna fans, the Mets roster is mostly chicken manure.

Let's look at Mets Murderers Row and analyze what is wrong.

Duda .232 Flores .231 Recker .229 E Young .220 Tejada .209 Granderson .208 C Young .200 d'Arnuad .196 Brown .185 Satin .107

Every time I read about the next phenom hitter that the Mets have in the minors, and that the Wilpon-pons promote as the next great thing, I cringe. When "F-Mart" literally falls on his face, or when "TDA" shows he can only hit fast balls, or when the next great thing...Cesar Puello has all of these great stats, oh wait, he was busted on PEDS and is now hitting .264 with only one home run and 24 strikeouts - in Las vegas of all places ! Who will be the NEXT can't miss hall of famer?

And when those few overly optimistic fans have no answer for the Mets woes, they take a cheap shot at the Yankees or Yankee Stadium to make them feel better.

So don't worry about solving the Mets problems; the Yankees were shut out by St Louis. There, does everyone feel better?:applaud:

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
              Here is my new hitting system. It's based on you can't make chicken salad from chicken manure. And despite a couple of pollyanna fans, the Mets roster is mostly chicken manure.

Let's look at Mets Murderers Row and analyze what is wrong.

Duda .232 Flores .231 Recker .229 E Young .220 Tejada .209 Granderson .208 C Young .200 d'Arnuad .196 Brown .185 Satin .107

Every time I read about the next phenom hitter that the Mets have in the minors, and that the Wilpon-pons promote as the next great thing, I cringe. When "F-Mart" literally falls on his face, or when "TDA" shows he can only hit fast balls, or when the next great thing...Cesar Puello has all of these great stats, oh wait, he was busted on PEDS and is now hitting .264 with only one home run and 24 strikeouts - in Las vegas of all places ! Who will be the NEXT can't miss hall of famer?

And when those few overly optimistic fans have no answer for the Mets woes, they take a cheap shot at the Yankees or Yankee Stadium to make them feel better.

So don't worry about solving the Mets problems; the Yankees were shut out by St Louis. There, does everyone feel better?:applaud:
              If I were a Yankee fan similar to the way you are a Met fan, then I would be wondering if the St. Louis fans gave Carlos Beltran a standing ovation last night. Oh wait, the player who helped them to the WS is on the DL with my team. Thanks a lot Carlos, taking $15mil from my team and getting injured right away. Thats ok, my team signed the premier catcher Brian McCann. Oh wait, he's hitting .218 and every day in the press there is an article about his futility.

And then to make it worse, the Mets beat the Pirates, making me feel even worse, not better.:applaud:

Comment

Listen its a basic of hitting... get a good pitch to hit. There is no way around it. Some now call it a system, but its nothing new.

The Brewers will fade if they remain near the bottom in OBP, and "swing happy". Especially if they go out of the zone.
                There's a difference between getting a good pitch to hit and just taking pitches to take pitches. It seems as though the Mets do too much of the latter and not enough of the former. Guys aren't swinging at fastballs right down the middle. Those are good pitches to hit for almost everyone.

Yes, the players suck, but you have to wonder how much of that is affected by the fact that a strikeout is considered the same as a 400 foot flyout.

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                  There's a difference between getting a good pitch to hit and just taking pitches to take pitches. It seems as though the Mets do too much of the latter and not enough of the former. Guys aren't swinging at fastballs right down the middle. Those are good pitches to hit for almost everyone.

Yes, the players suck, but you have to wonder how much of that is affected by the fact that a strikeout is considered the same as a 400 foot flyout.
                  Well according to what I have read and heard - which I know to take with a grain of salt - taking pipeline strikes was not the message of plan.

The one thing I disagree with for what its worth is that a K is the same as a contact out. Nothing can be further from the truth. Again I am taking everything with a grain of salt. The media ran with this story and I don't doubt it got twisted.

If I am a hitting coach teaching this what you would have to do is relieve some of the fear of striking out because to get deep into a count you may find yourself with 2 strikes. So maybe to instill that lack of fear you may use some cues to get the hitter over the hump. There is nobody that believes striking out is the same as a contact out, but removing the anxiety would be a great key to making the plan work. So I get that.

That is just speculation on my part, but when the media reports something you have to believe every other word....on a good day.

Comment

With respect, I think you missed my point, which is that you can expect him to make self-serving statements, rather than truthful statements, during his media tour. Thus the reference to the idiom "with a grain of salt."

Comment

With respect, I think you missed my point, which is that you can expect him to make self-serving statements, rather than truthful statements, during his media tour. Thus the reference to the idiom "with a grain of salt."
                      I hear ya but I just cant fathom any kind of hitting philosophy that would advocate putting the hitter in a hole he cant get out of. It makes no sense. The whole hitting system thing has taken on a life of its own. Much of it brought on by the media that doesn't understand which end of the bat to hold. They just pick and choose what part of a paragraph they want you to know to get a story. Everyone should have taken the original reports with a grain of salt.

Just look what happened on this forum. It was called "Alderson's System" because that's what some media moron decided to call it.

I am a little disappointed in Keith because he really should know better or talk to someone before going on the air and bashing it. The other two clowns he works with...I don't expect much.

Comment

FWIW, I don't consider Darling a clown.

In any event, I think that the story took a life of its own because fans could see some elements of the story in what they watched, namely Mets players taking a lot of pitches that looked very hittable on TV. And this is consistent with the article that Verducci seems to be writing two or three times a year -- that batters are taking too many pitches, often times in spots that are favorable to a hitter, such as 2-0. And Keith has been criticizing the tendency to take pitches on hitters counts long before the so-called "Alderson System" story. Also, much of the criticism was to the idea that all outs are equal, that a K is no different than any other out, which even you admit is a wrong idea. So when Mets fans see players taking a lot of pitches and striking out as much as they are, the news report becomes seductive.

Comment

FWIW, I don't consider Darling a clown.

In any event, I think that the story took a life of its own because fans could see some elements of the story in what they watched, namely Mets players taking a lot of pitches that looked very hittable on TV. And this is consistent with the article that Verducci seems to be writing two or three times a year -- that batters are taking too many pitches, often times in spots that are favorable to a hitter, such as 2-0. And Keith has been criticizing the tendency to take pitches on hitters counts long before the so-called "Alderson System" story. Also, much of the criticism was to the idea that all outs are equal, that a K is no different than any other out, which even you admit is a wrong idea. So when Mets fans see players taking a lot of pitches and striking out as much as they are, the news report becomes seductive.
                          Ahhhhh....I think you just put your finger on the problem.

I watch any two teams playing ball. I watch a lot of baseball, and I do see ALL teams taking pitches in hitters counts. This is not just unique to the Mets. So now it makes a little more sense to me. Maybe I don't notice it watching Mets games because its all over. Obviously rooting for the Mets you notice it more.

I think swinging 2-0 which was almost an automatic because it was fastball count for sure.....now its not an automatic. I am not sure if pitchers are not exclusively throwing fastball in 2-0 counts or this system is throughout baseball.

Comment

Now that you guys are talking about it I seem to recall that with Keith he would always (to my eyes) work the count in a big spot. Then he could take a whack at a 3-1, or whatever, pitch. It being Keith he usually hit the ball well, if occasionally where someone could make a play. It seems now the subtle difference is the batter is waiting for a meatball to swing at.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                              Now that you guys are talking about it I seem to recall that with Keith he would always (to my eyes) work the count in a big spot. Then he could take a whack at a 3-1, or whatever, pitch. It being Keith he usually hit the ball well, if occasionally where someone could make a play. It seems now the subtle difference is the batter is waiting for a meatball to swing at.
                              Also, this is what he had advocated as a b'dcaster: work the count to your advantage, and then be aggressive. Right now, too many players work the count to the batter's favor but don't get aggressive. Rather, they take what appear to be very hittable pitches. Duda is a great example. He is too patient at times. Way too patient.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X