Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piazza: Blaming Citi Field Is for Weak Players

Ouch!

The Mets should stop blaming Citi Field for their struggles at the plate, Mike Piazza said Thursday at the MLB Draft (Post, June 6).

“I understand that (Citi Field) might not be a great hitters ballpark,” Piazza said. “But, to me, just take a step back, just hit the ball hard.”

The Mets are hitting just .222 with a .333 slugging percentage at home.

“The good teams I played on, everyone knows their roles, everyone knows to be a solid team, there is such a thing as productive outs, there is such a thing as finding a way to win, finding a way to get guys on and finding a way to get them home,” Piazza said. “Don’t be so wrapped up into the environmental factors of the game. … It’s easier said than done, but you’ve got to find a way to push through it. You’ve got to be resourceful, you’ve got to be creative.”
    I think Piazza knows a thing or two about hitting anywhere.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

ABSOLUTELY. Piazza would have had no problem hitting it out of Citi Field. Even before the homefield-killing dimensions Sandy Alderson propagated.
    :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
      Ouch!

I think Piazza knows a thing or two about hitting anywhere.
      Originally posted by trepye View Post
      ABSOLUTELY. Piazza would have had no problem hitting it out of Citi Field. Even before the homefield-killing dimensions Sandy Alderson propagated.
      Yeah except too bad he is wrong as hell. Piazza wouldn't have hit nearly as well in this park.

Sometimes when guys retire they should just keep their mouths shut. Instead being Rogers Clemens' personal bitch maybe he should just do something else in his retirement. He knows about getting thrown at and getting a bat thrown at him and standing there doing nothing. Maybe his Karate class would have helped him hit in Citi. What a joke he became.

I lover players with revisionist history "Oh I would have done this". Mike was a great hitter, but he never hit in Citi and shouldn't speak about doing it.

"He knows a thing or two about hitting anywhere". B.S. he never hit there. As a player he should know better.

So this mentally weak team becomes mentally strong on the road. What a joke.
      Last edited by Paulypal; 06-07-2014, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        Yeah except too bad he is wrong as hell. Piazza wouldn't have hit nearly as well in this park.

Sometimes when guys retire they should just keep their mouths shut. Instead being Rogers Clemens' personal bitch maybe he should just do something else in his retirement. He knows about getting thrown at and getting a bat thrown at him and standing there doing nothing. Maybe his Karate class would have helped him hit in Citi. What a joke he became.

I lover players with revisionist history "Oh I would have done this". Mike was a great hitter, but he never hit in Citi and shouldn't speak about doing it.

"He knows a thing or two about hitting anywhere". B.S. he never hit there. As a player he should know better.

So this mentally weak team becomes mentally strong on the road. What a joke.
        I personally don't see the problem in his comments. When you're the greatest-hitting catcher of all time, you are in the position to say things like this. It's not like some obnoxious talk-show host was saying these things.
        Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

I wonder if Piazza was paid by the cliché.

Comment

Originally posted by trepye View Post
            Alderson brought the dimensions in. The original dimensions were conceived during Omar Minaya's tenure.

As for Piazza, he is correct. Players should worry simply about squaring up on the ball and hitting it hard. This is what I always hear Lucas Duda say -- that he's just looking to square up and that he's not worried about distance. After Alderson brought the fences in, Citifield is no longer a significant problem for power hitters. HR numbers are down this season, but the Mets pitching is stronger, and I put more stock in the theory that the players press a little more at home than on the road.
            Last edited by Dugmet; 06-08-2014, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugmet View Post
              After Alderson brought the fences in, Citifield is no longer a significant problem for power hitters.
              Specially for the visiting power hitters. Omar was on to something.
              :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
              Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

How many ABs has Piazza had at Citifield?

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                  How many ABs has Piazza had at Citifield?
                  Exactly my point.

As far players worrying about just squaring it up is just garbage talk. Absolute garbage. This sounds like it came from a guy that never played the game. Piazza saying that is just bizarre, and of course now that he said it from the safety of retirement people will look back and say "well he knows what he is talking about". He doesn't -- he sounds like a moron.

Baseball is results oriented. Squaring it up is a good part of the battle but not the whole battle. How many balls have been squared up only to be caught before the warning track?

Somehow, somewhere Piazza became Mr Met. I am not sure how that happened when the better part of his career was a Dodger. Now fans hang on every word he says. Knowing that something more intelligent should come out of his face and give it more thought before spewing garbage.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X