Mets Home/Road Splits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets Home/Road Splits

So the Mets are 3rd in runs scored per game on the road with 4.81 and DEAD LAST in runs scored at home with 3.17.

So all the big mouths like Mike Piazza, and who ever else thinks that the Mets just cant hit in Citi because there is something wrong with them mentally really need to zip it.

This is not a coincidence and shouldn't be surprising to anyone, but for some reason it is. It is actually amazing to me how much some DONT know about the game that they were in. If someone or anyone is going to blame that disparity on the mental part they just are clueless.

As bad as the Mets everday players are they must feel like they are out of prison on the road.......the proof is in the pudding so to speak. After all how many times can you crush a ball only to have the OF'er camp under it? Of course you may become gun shy. Maybe if never held a bat in your hand you wont understand this. I don't know, but it is obvious to me.

In 2009/2010 this home road split was just about even, but from 2011-2014 it has been about a run a game different or more. Part of the reason of course is 2009/2010 the Mets just had better offenses.

Sometimes things happen that are just an anomaly for instance in 2014 the Orioles are scoring more on the road than at home, and they have a great hitters park. but when something happens for 4 years in a row...it is no longer an anomaly. It becomes a fact.

Its tiresome to hear that the Mets problem at home is mental. Yeah I am sure on some level it is at this point, they are human after all, but as whole...cmon.

I will say it again:

WITH THE CURRENT DIMENSIONS THE METS WILL NEVER PUT A WORLD SERIES CONTENDER ON THE FIELD AT CITI FIELD.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 06-07-2014, 05:55 AM.

As bad as the Mets everday players are they must feel like they are out of prison on the road.
    So you are saying it is not mental, right?

Yeah I am sure on some level it is at this point, they are human after all, but as whole...cmon.
    My bad. Didn't read your entire post carefully before posting.

So you do acknowledge that part of the lower home run support is mental.

Nobody is saying that the park is suppressing the Mets offensive production. I think what others are saying is that you can't blame all of their offensive woes at home on the park.
    Last edited by EasilyFound; 06-08-2014, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      DEAD LAST in runs scored at home with 3.17.
      3.63 for the visitors.

I will say it again:
      WITH THE CURRENT DIMENSIONS THE METS WILL NEVER PUT A WORLD SERIES CONTENDER ON THE FIELD AT CITI FIELD.
      Would they be contenders if they switched ballparks with another team?

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
        So you are saying it is not mental, right?

My bad. Didn't read your entire post carefully before posting.

So you do acknowledge that part of the lower home run support is mental.

Nobody is saying that the park is suppressing the Mets offensive production. I think what others are saying is that you can't blame all of their offensive woes at home on the park.
        There are a couple of factors-- in order

1) The park sucks and will never allow the Mets to have an MVP type player
        2) Because of #1 - it does become a mental drain to know that your home park is working against you

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
          3.63 for the visitors.

Would they be contenders if they switched ballparks with another team?
          3.63 furthers my argument. Visitors come in here knowing they are leaving and don't feel the burden of hitting in this disaster that is in Queens. They don't change their approach and come in business as usual.

No the Mets are not contenders at all with this roster. That wasn't my point. My points they will never be contenders because they aren't going to attract all star caliber hitters in this hell hole, nor will they produce any.

Comment

3.63 for the visitors.
            And that is against Mets pitching, which the Mets batter do not face.

I don't really know how much you can draw from statistics, except to say that they show what they show -- that over a certain period of time, certain things happened. Not being a student of statistics, I am not comfortable saying what differences are statistically significant and what are from statistical variance over a statistically small sample size. I mean, the Mets have played what, about sixty games or so. Thirty games, at home, or on the road, is a small sample size, statistically speaking.

Comment

I see they are tied for fourth fewest runs allowed at home (total not /g) while allowing the 2nd most on the road. Admittedly the spreads between about half a dozen teams either way is less than ten so one day off and things could shuffle a bit in the placings. But the relative placings won't change, near the worst pitching on the road and best at home. That says as much about the park they play in as the players that play in the park.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                I see they are tied for fourth fewest runs allowed at home (total not /g) while allowing the 2nd most on the road. Admittedly the spreads between about half a dozen teams either way is less than ten so one day off and things could shuffle a bit in the placings. But the relative placings won't change, near the worst pitching on the road and best at home. That says as much about the park they play in as the players that play in the park.
                Good point here because another thing that Citi does is exaggerate the effectiveness of the starting pitching. At home, because of the park, they look much better than they actually are.

So to review - At home they cant hit but pitch ok....because of the park. On the road they score more runs but also give up more runs....because of the park.

So how come we don't read that the away parks are in the pitchers heads?

Comment

Are the bases 90 feet apart? Rubber still 60 feet, six inches away? Is there enough room in the OF for basehits to land? Are the dimensions the biggest in baseball? Yes-yes-yes-no.

Here's an article and chart that correlates outfield size - where fair balls can land safely for hits - with offense. Shockingly, Coors Field leads. CF is not off the charts, but has a larger OF than most.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...k-sizes-2014-3

If every player is trying for a homerun on each at bat and they are frustrated by CF's large - but not largest! - dimensions, then the Mets need a psychologist and not a hitting coach.
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Um you know that the air is thinner at altitude which means the ball travels further (if I studied my physics perhaps that means faster too, a bicyclist or runner will). I'm sure you were not trying to imply that Coors is a more difficult park to hit in.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                      Are the bases 90 feet apart? Rubber still 60 feet, six inches away? Is there enough room in the OF for basehits to land? Are the dimensions the biggest in baseball? Yes-yes-yes-no.

Here's an article and chart that correlates outfield size - where fair balls can land safely for hits - with offense. Shockingly, Coors Field leads. CF is not off the charts, but has a larger OF than most.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...k-sizes-2014-3

If every player is trying for a homerun on each at bat and they are frustrated by CF's large - but not largest! - dimensions, then the Mets need a psychologist and not a hitting coach.
                      Strawman in almost every one of my posts recently about Citi I have said that you cant go by what it says on the walls. What is AS BIG a factor is the way the ball carries. I even stated that Coors has a big CF if you go by the measurement, but it plays much smaller.

Citi faces the opposite direction of Shea and it actually plays larger than the measurements. It plays larger than the measurements that means that anti-Coors there is less room for hits to fall in, AND it doesn't carry. Hence a very very poor offensive park.

Comment

Citi faces the opposite direction of Shea and it actually plays larger than the measurements.
                        Opposite direction?
                        18429183.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
                          Opposite direction?

Great picture. Thanks

I actually thought it was much more drastic than that, but obviously its enough to affect the way the ball carries enough to minimize the offense.

It does face the inlet more than Shea did which is what I was told affects the way the ball carries. It makes sense because the park sucks.

Comment

3.63 furthers my argument. Visitors come in here knowing they are leaving and don't feel the burden of hitting in this disaster that is in Queens.
                            Citation requested.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugmet View Post
                              Citation requested.
                              I have cited my reasoning on this forum at least a dozen times.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X