Jacob deGrom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacob deGrom

Here's a pitcher who was overshadowed by others in the Mets' farm system.

Truth is he's got better peripherals now as a Major Leaguer than he ever did in the Minors. Then again he switched to pitching after being mostly an infielder in college. He then had Tommy John surgery and missed 2011. He only started logging significant innings in 2012. Apparently he's gotten better and better.

Another good late-ish (9th Round in 2010) draft pick by Omar Minaya.

Quite a pleasant surprise.

Discuss.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

I didn't realize he had TJ surgery. I look forward to watching him pitch more than any other Mets pitcher at the moment. He and Wheeler are having a good run right now, and it gives hope for a fine staff next year when Harvey comes back if he can be effective. We are dealing with a very small sample size for both deGrom and Wheeler and a stretch of five or six games is just that -- a stretch of five or six games. Lets not put them in Canton just yet. In the second half, I am looking for both of them pitch well consistently and be effective after the 6th inning.

Comment

Jacob deGrom has a 0.66 ERA over his past four starts. He has lowered his ERA to 2.79 for the season.
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
        Here's a pitcher who was overshadowed by others in the Mets' farm system.

Truth is he's got better peripherals now as a Major Leaguer than he ever did in the Minors. Then again he switched to pitching after being mostly an infielder in college. He then had Tommy John surgery and missed 2011. He only started logging significant innings in 2012. Apparently he's gotten better and better.

Another good late-ish (9th Round in 2010) draft pick by Omar Minaya.

Quite a pleasant surprise.

Discuss.
        Pretty awesome that now we have to list who drafted the player because just having him isn't good enough.

Like we now have Wheeler developing nicely...so although Alderson traded for him....he was traded for by a player that Omar picked up as a free agent.

As far as deGrom I love the way he came onto the scene....Quietly...not a lot of fan fare. He snuck up on us and that is pretty awesome. Right now I am stuck because I don't know whether to credit the GM that drafted him or the GM that promoted him to the majors.....this is quite the conundrum......I am exhausted from the internal conflict I am feeling from what GM to credit.
        Last edited by Paulypal; 07-28-2014, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
          I didn't realize he had TJ surgery. I look forward to watching him pitch more than any other Mets pitcher at the moment. He and Wheeler are having a good run right now, and it gives hope for a fine staff next year when Harvey comes back if he can be effective. We are dealing with a very small sample size for both deGrom and Wheeler and a stretch of five or six games is just that -- a stretch of five or six games. Lets not put them in Canton just yet. In the second half, I am looking for both of them pitch well consistently and be effective after the 6th inning.
          deGrom is quickly becoming a favorite of mine but never in a million years did I ever put him in Canton!!

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
            deGrom is quickly becoming a favorite of mine but never in a million years did I ever put him in Canton!!
            I always knew he would be one hell of a QB!! Predicted it years ago!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
              Pretty awesome that now we have to list who drafted the player because just having him isn't good enough.

Like we now have Wheeler developing nicely...so although Alderson traded for him....he was traded for by a player that Omar picked up as a free agent.

As far as deGrom I love the way he came onto the scene....Quietly...not a lot of fan fare. He snuck up on us and that is pretty awesome. Right now I am stuck because I don't to credit the GM that drafted him or the GM that promoted him to the majors.....this is quite the conundrum......I am exhausted from the internal conflict I am feeling from what GM to credit.
              Maybe we should credit Jacob DeGrom.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                Maybe we should credit Jacob DeGrom.
                Exactly!

Another thing that I find very funny is that it is possible that when players are drafted they are never even actually seen by the GM. They rely on scouting for a lot of the drafting. So I am not saying Omar didn't see deGrom, but it is possible.

Comment

I am wondering, is he considered a rookie? If so, maybe he should be considered at least in the ROY award. But I am not certain of his status.
                  http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...lOrangeLED.gif

Comment

He is a rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      Exactly!

Another thing that I find very funny is that it is possible that when players are drafted they are never even actually seen by the GM. They rely on scouting for a lot of the drafting. So I am not saying Omar didn't see deGrom, but it is possible.
                      It's very likely Minaya did not see dGrom in person --though nowadays they usually have digital video of most everyone they scout. For lower picks, the GM is likely to lean on the opinions of the Scouting Director, sometimes cross-checkers, and area scouts that watched the player/pitcher in person. The GM usually only sees first-round talent in person--and probably only the few the scouting staff has zeroed in on.
                      Last edited by Dugmet; 07-31-2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Mac View Post
                        I am wondering, is he considered a rookie? If so, maybe he should be considered at least in the ROY award. But I am not certain of his status.
                        There's been talk about ROY for deGrom all over the Internet. Billy Hamilton (Reds) is probably the favorite at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugmet View Post
                          It's very likely Minaya did not see dGrom in person --though nowadays they usually have digital video of most everyone they scout. For lower picks, the GM is likely to lean on the opinions of the Scouting Director, sometimes cross-checkers, and area scouts that watched the player/pitcher in person. The GM usually only sees first-round talent in person--and probably only the few the scouting staff has zeroed in on.
                          So I guess the question is did you retain the scouts Minaya had?
                          :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                          Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Any truth to the rumor that Paul DePodesta changed his name to dePodesta or d'Podesta?

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                              Any truth to the rumor that Paul DePodesta changed his name to dePodesta or d'Podesta?
                              If you order more than 3 lower-case d's you get a discount so I would say yes.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X