Dilson Herrera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilson Herrera

The Wilpons have been chomping at the bit to get rid of Daniel Murphy's salary for a while now. The problem is he's just been too good to dump like Pagan (for example) without drawing heat from the remaining fans. Over the last few years he's been the only consistently effective player on offense. His defense has improved and he's become an All Star.

So now the Wilpons, who are so obsessed with keeping talent in the Minors until arbitral deadlines pass, are bringing up a 20 year old straight from AA for a look-see while Murphy is on the DL. One wonders if Murphy's injury really required the DL or the Wilpons just wanted time for a cheaper substitute to have an audition?

I'd be a bit more enthusiastic about Herrera's arrival if it didn't stink of the Wilpons' mania for pinching pennies but regardless Herrera has done well at Binghampton.

Ready or not here he comes.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

So predictable and boorish. You are like ebola -- a disease that rots this forum from the inside out with your constant and corrosive venom, turning an exciting decision into a platform for your daily hateful grind. Hopefully the CDC will find an anti venom for your toxic diatribes so that interesting baseball discussions might bloom from the filth that pollutes Baseball Fever > Mets. Don't whine about the personal attack, son. You remind everyone of a 9-year old bully that cries to his Mom when someone steps up and bloodies his nose.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 08-29-2014, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
      The Wilpons have been chomping at the bit to get rid of Daniel Murphy's salary for a while now. The problem is he's just been too good to dump like Pagan (for example) without drawing heat from the remaining fans. Over the last few years he's been the only consistently effective player on offense. His defense has improved and he's become an All Star.

So now the Wilpons, who are so obsessed with keeping talent in the Minors until arbitral deadlines pass, are bringing up a 20 year old straight from AA for a look-see while Murphy is on the DL. One wonders if Murphy's injury really required the DL or the Wilpons just wanted time for a cheaper substitute to have an audition?

I'd be a bit more enthusiastic about Herrera's arrival if it didn't stink of the Wilpons' mania for pinching pennies but regardless Herrera has done well at Binghampton.

Ready or not here he comes.
      When you were a kid I bet you didn't like Ice Cream because it melts. How can you logically explain a team signing a Colon, a Granderson, even a C Young and call for them to bring up Syndegard then state Herrera is only here because the Mets do not want to pay Murphy? Yes, I do think they should spend more money on THE RIGHT PLAYERS but you have a injured player being replaced by a minor leaguer who has excelled at every stage of the minors. He is not being talked about in trade talks and will not get you anything you really need at this point so why not get his feet wet this September? Could Murphy be traded this offseason? Sure he could. Is he a good player? Yes he is. Would you be comfortable with two primarily offense players up the middle if they can trade for a SS? I wouldn't. Murphy has been one of the few players who has been a joy to watch the last few years but he is far from Ryne Sandberg.

As far as the rebuttal of why Herrera and not Syndegard? From all accounts Herrera's personality seems like he can handle a promotion. From reading some of the statements from Syndegard from a few weeks ago I think he may have more doubts about himself and having him end the year on a high note at AAA may be best for him. Those are the things that as fans we only get a small glimpse of and need to read between the lines to see. That is what the guys who make the decisions see on a daily basis and what forms there decisions a lot more than another year of eligibility for a player who probably will not be with the team in 5 years anyway.

Comment

Who is Dilson Herrera other than the guy being called up? Is he a slick fielder? A slugger? A potential batting champ? I have no idea and reading this thread devoted to him still have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugmet View Post
          So predictable and boorish. You are like ebola -- a disease that rots this forum from the inside out with your constant and corrosive venom, turning an exciting decision into a platform for your daily hateful grind. Hopefully the CDC will find an anti venom for your toxic diatribes so that interesting baseball discussions might bloom from the filth that pollutes Baseball Fever > Mets. Don't whine about the personal attack, son. You remind everyone of a 9-year old bully that cries to his Mom when someone steps up and bloodies his nose.
          Goodbye Dug.

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
          When you were a kid I bet you didn't like Ice Cream because it melts. How can you logically explain a team signing a Colon, a Granderson, even a C Young and call for them to bring up Syndegard then state Herrera is only here because the Mets do not want to pay Murphy? Yes, I do think they should spend more money on THE RIGHT PLAYERS but you have a injured player being replaced by a minor leaguer who has excelled at every stage of the minors. He is not being talked about in trade talks and will not get you anything you really need at this point so why not get his feet wet this September? Could Murphy be traded this offseason? Sure he could. Is he a good player? Yes he is. Would you be comfortable with two primarily offense players up the middle if they can trade for a SS? I wouldn't. Murphy has been one of the few players who has been a joy to watch the last few years but he is far from Ryne Sandberg.

As far as the rebuttal of why Herrera and not Syndegard? From all accounts Herrera's personality seems like he can handle a promotion. From reading some of the statements from Syndegard from a few weeks ago I think he may have more doubts about himself and having him end the year on a high note at AAA may be best for him. Those are the things that as fans we only get a small glimpse of and need to read between the lines to see. That is what the guys who make the decisions see on a daily basis and what forms there decisions a lot more than another year of eligibility for a player who probably will not be with the team in 5 years anyway.
          If you're noticed I've called most management decisions correctly over the past 6 years I've been posting. It's not because I have a magic 8 ball or ouija board. It's because they're all motivated by what ownership believes will ultimately save/make the most money.

Financial considerations beat baseball considerations every time.

That's why the team always either flat out sucks or never makes the over-the-top move when they're good - or have you been watching something different the last few decades?

Comment

Geez they've called up a 20 year old kid because Murphy is injured. They aren't taking food away from baby Noah Murphy.

Comment

The Book on Dilson HerreraPIT

Prospect Info and Scouting Report

PIT

Dilson Herrera / 2B, PIT
              Born 3/3/1994 (20 yrs old)
              Cartagena, Colombia

Height 5-11
              Weight 160
              Bats/Throws R/R
              343 | 9/1/2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experience Ranks

none

R

A

AA

AAA

MiLB

MLB

413 1195 218 0 1826 0

Total professional at-bats: 1826.

A powerful Colombian infielder who'll probably settle at second base, Pirate prospect Dilson Herrera rose to attention-worthy status by hitting his way out of Rookie ball (.281/341/.482) and into low-A at the age of 18. Herrera has a nice speed/power combination (twelve steals, eight dingers in sixty games) and decent enough foot and glovework to cover shortstop if necessary. He's raw, like any teenage player, but he shows a strong work ethic and natural aptitude for the trials of the middle infield. If his power is legitimate, he'll be a fast-riser in the system.

9/1/2013
              Bio Updated Fall, 2013

The above is from some scouting website (that I never read before). Obviously from last year. Herrera was part of the Marlon Byrd trade.

Here should be a link to Baseball Prospectus.
              http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT...q93iqbf2FG824-

Here should be one from a Mets blog/website

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT...7.7vbkCI3dLlU-

Comment

I think 'goose has this exactly right.

While I'm excited at Herrera's obvious talent, I'm quite sure bringing him up now - while Murphy is banged up - is done in the hopes he has a spectacular two weeks and the front office can then justify moving the popular (and incredibly productive) Murphy out of town.

If you're paying attention during the Alderson Era (and yes, it's owner driven), this is how they do it.

Sooooooo obvious.
                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                  (and incredibly productive) Murphy - Sooooooo obvious.
                  Murphy is so overrated on this forum its almost laughable. "Incredibly Productive"??????? Holy Jesus. Mike Trout is incredibly productive. Murphy is a "GOOD" over all player. He would make a nice supplemental piece on a championship team. Not a core player like he is on this one. Anything else is just propaganda.

Do I want to see him go? No. If he f'n Willie Mays as he is made out to be? Its absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                    Murphy is so overrated on this forum its almost laughable. "Incredibly Productive"??????? Holy Jesus. Mike Trout is incredibly productive. Murphy is a "GOOD" over all player. He would make a nice supplemental piece on a championship team. Not a core player like he is on this one. Anything else is just propaganda.

Do I want to see him go? No. If he f'n Willie Mays as he is made out to be? Its absurd.
                    Two teams could really use Murphy. The Giants. The Yankees. He can't carry a team, but he would be a good fit in some line ups. If I was Murph's agent, I would be looking to play the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I think when someone perceives everything this franchise does to be diabolical and malicious it is impossible to see anything but. I am realistic enough to realize many decisions have revolved around money. I also see where if ANY team can find a young player to come in and play a position better than the incumbent they should.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                        I think 'goose has this exactly right.

While I'm excited at Herrera's obvious talent, I'm quite sure bringing him up now - while Murphy is banged up - is done in the hopes he has a spectacular two weeks and the front office can then justify moving the popular (and incredibly productive) Murphy out of town.

If you're paying attention during the Alderson Era (and yes, it's owner driven), this is how they do it.

Sooooooo obvious.
                        Does that mean you are against bringing someone up to replace an injured player? What should they do at second base with Murphy injured?

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                          Does that mean you are against bringing someone up to replace an injured player? What should they do at second base with Murphy injured?
                          Last year every starting pitcher missed time. 12 pitchers started games for the Mets in all, including scrap heap acquisitions. Did Noah Syndergaard see the light of day? No. Why? Because there was nobody expensive for him to replace and it would have burned up a year of eligibility.

Same with all the seasons punted and Harvey, Wheeler, etc. being kept down until after Super 2 deadline even though they would have been just as effective if they'd started the season in Flushing. Maybe the seasons would have been better.

Here we're seeing the team desperate to get rid of their best player, who wants to stay a Met. In an effort to set this up they're bringing the youngest player in the Eastern League to the Majors. Looks like to dump a big salary in arbitration next year the team's "cautious" development of its prospects can be sped up.

The roster isn't just damaged from penny pinching because of non-acquisitions: it's damaged because money decisions also dictate internal moves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                            Goodbye Dug.

Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post

When someone is on the ignore list, the only way to see what they post is when they are quoted by another member. I did not see his original post, but when I read your reply I unfortunately saw his post. IMHO, this goes way beyond acceptable debate and discussion and has absolutely no place here. All of us have been warned by the mods before, and the rest of us tend to keep it civil. There is a difference between pushing buttons and trying to get a discussion going, and what he did. What this member did should be filed under 'example of a post that went way too far overboard"

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                              When someone is on the ignore list, the only way to see what they post is when they are quoted by another member. I did not see his original post, but when I read your reply I unfortunately saw his post. IMHO, this goes way beyond acceptable debate and discussion and has absolutely no place here. All of us have been warned by the mods before, and the rest of us tend to keep it civil. There is a difference between pushing buttons and trying to get a discussion going, and what he did. What this member did should be filed under 'example of a post that went way too far overboard"
                              The member was missing in action for a week and a half which I expect was a ten-day suspension. If you click on his name now you will see that he cannot be PM'd or added as a contact as other members can, so I assume he was quietly suspended again, maybe for thirty days. I give the mods credit for watching the store and keeping order behind the scenes in a private and understated matter. Very professional.

As for Dilson, I am going tonight and am looking forward to checking him out. Hey, Dwight Gooden broke in at 19 and had his best year at 20. Never know.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X