Michael Cuddyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Cuddyer

I see Alderson signed 35-year-old former outfielder Michael Cuddyer for $21M.

I'm confused....that's a lot to pay a coach, isn't it?
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Yes. It is a lot to pay a coach.
    But you mis-labeled your thread on coaching salaries.

Comment

Whilst the Royals and Giants show that youth, pitching defense and speed gets you far into the playoff Aldy and the gang go on to make us slower and older. Hopefully he hits like he is supposed to. Did we really have to give up a draft pick for a 36 year old (multi year contract too??)? Had he been younger and had more upside I wouldn't have minded but I hate giving up draft picks for older players on the other side of the hill.

When the Rockies lured Mike Hampton away from us with their fabulous school system we got a draft pick that turned into David Wright. Lets see what they do with he 15th pick overall.... something tells me that the irony is not yet over.
      :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
      Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Originally posted by trepye View Post
        Whilst the Royals and Giants show that youth, pitching defense and speed gets you far into the playoff Aldy and the gang go on to make us slower and older. Hopefully he hits like he is supposed to. Did we really have to give up a draft pick for a 36 year old (multi year contract too??)? Had he been younger and had more upside I wouldn't have minded but I hate giving up draft picks for older players on the other side of the hill.

When the Rockies lured Mike Hampton away from us with their fabulous school system we got a draft pick that turned into David Wright. Lets see what they do with he 15th pick overall.... something tells me that the irony is not yet over.
        I do agree with most of what your saying. I don't like Cuddyer move at all, especially if this is the BIG move. If the Mets make a couple of big moves and Cuddyer is the supplemental player- then its not as bad. We have to wait and see on this one.

By the way when a teams biggest weapon is speed...they are doomed over the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by trepye View Post

Free agent signings involve older players so a team does not have to trade Juan Lagares or Jacob deGrom. Unless you'd prefer to trade youthful pitching and defense? Or the Mets are primed to take over the NL East as is and no changes are required?

Wait for the next positon player FA this off season who signs for two years. It may be a long wait.

Comment

They are giving away a draft pick. Not good. I would have preferred Carlos Gonzalez, even though that would necessitate a trade. With Cuddyer in two years if there isn't one coming up from the farm they will still need a LF. This is just what an old boss referred to as "spinning your wheels."

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
              They are giving away a draft pick. Not good. I would have preferred Carlos Gonzalez, even though that would necessitate a trade. With Cuddyer in two years if there isn't one coming up from the farm they will still need a LF. This is just what an old boss referred to as "spinning your wheels."
              Is Brandon Nimmo capable of playing left field at Citi in 2017?

Comment

We will find out. If he didn't come at a cost of a draft pick I wouldn't mind or for so much money for a team that appears to be on a fixed income. I would have preferred exploring Carlos Gonzalez. It's just retirement age players and sub .500 teams are typically not a prudent strategy. If they go get Han Ram to play SS and sign Jon Lester then Cuddyer would be a nice first step.

Comment

Yet another move to make it look like the Mets are "doing something."

His recent success is a product of Coors Field through and through. In 2013, he hit .356 at home, in 2014, he hit .400 at home (and .282 on the road). At NL ballparks not called Coors Field, he is a .274 career hitter. Though he is a .296 hitter at current NL East ballparks, he's hit only .143 in his (admittedly limited) stays at Citi Field.

Recall that during his prime, he averaged only 18 home runs and 78 RBI a year while posting a .275/.347/.459 line. At that point, he averaged only 136 games per season. In the past five seasons, he's averaged 115 games per season and in the last three years, 93 games per campaign.

He's old, injury-prone, coming off two years of abnormally high and impossible-to-replicate batting averages ... and we gave him $10.5 million per season and forfeited a first round pick. His signing is the 2014-2015 version of the Bartolo Colon deal.

I take that back, it's worse.

I predict 120 games, 15 home runs, 55 RBI and a .260 BA from Cuddyer in 2015. Anything better than that will thoroughly surprise me.

Comment

So more than 20 points above the Mets 2014 team BA of .239?

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                      So more than 20 points above the Mets 2014 team BA of .239?
                      That's the silver lining way of looking at it.

But the pessimist point of view is that, now instead of losing 3-1 all the time, they're going to lose 3-2 all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                        That's the silver lining way of looking at it.

But the pessimist point of view is that, now instead of losing 3-1 all the time, they're going to lose 3-2 all the time.
                        It's okay to be pessimistic. Harvey won't come back, deGrom is a one hit wonder, Lagares won his first and last gold glove. Cuddyer is the one and only move this offseason.

Comment

Optimism has been a fail for Mets fans since Carlos Beltran, NLCS, 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                            Optimism has been a fail for Mets fans since Carlos Beltran, NLCS, 2006.
                            I'm not surprised you are pessimistic on optimism.

It's like that Twitter account- Did the Mets lose today? A no is good.
                            Last edited by LI METS FAN; 11-11-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

He's arguably a better signing than Granderson.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X