Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Cuddyer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    A couple of things:

    First of all the way baseball is today too many times the best teams don't even get to the WS. Look at this year as a prime example. The Royals? Really? They will be no where to be found in 2015. Teams built like theirs don't last. Now all you have to do is back door it - get in the playoffs and get hot. Being a great team over 162 really has become meaningless. The Dodgers, the Angels, Nats, and the O's were superior teams by a mile over either team in the WS.

    Baseball sadly has become football when it comes to the playoffs. Yes it keeps the fans interested and generates more money (which is what its all about), but the quality of teams in the playoffs has dropped.

    As far as Beltran - are you blaming him for 2006? PLEASE don't tell me that you blame him taking a 3rd strike.
    Actually I was originally just going to make my post "optimism has been a fail for Mets fans since NLCS, 2006," but including Beltran made it seem a tad more poignant. The failure of that game rests in a lot of hands, including Beltran's. Heilman played a big part, obviously. Etc etc. My point is, the Mets are failures more often than not. There's no point in putting your lot in the 10% chance they're going to succeed when there is a 90% they're not going to.

    In general, that is, "in real life", optimism is just a setup for disappointment.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
      Actually I was originally just going to make my post "optimism has been a fail for Mets fans since NLCS, 2006," but including Beltran made it seem a tad more poignant. The failure of that game rests in a lot of hands, including Beltran's. Heilman played a big part, obviously. Etc etc. My point is, the Mets are failures more often than not. There's no point in putting your lot in the 10% chance they're going to succeed when there is a 90% they're not going to.

      In general, that is, "in real life", optimism is just a setup for disappointment.
      The Mets as an organization have been a failure. Yes they have some moments over the 55 seasons of baseball sure, but overall they are a losing organization.

      I strongly disagree about game 7. I actually blame nobody (despite a terrible at bat by Valentin). This is baseball, the game gets played, and we have seen teams win and lose in every imaginable way. Guys make errors, pitchers give up homers, guys strike out everyday of the week in baseball. When they do it in the playoffs it becomes more magnified, and fans overreact to things that happen in the playoffs. Beltrans OPS in that series was over 1.000, and has been a proven hitter in the post season. Although I was never a huge fan of Beltran I will never ever point to that strike out as any kind of barometer to measure him by. At the time Wainwright had the best curve ball in baseball, and that was a nasty pitch.

      I can easily make the argument the Mets were only in that game because Chavez made the greatest post season catch ever. No where did I see that in you explanation of game 7. How do you think Scott Rolen and Cardinal fans felt about that?
      Last edited by Paulypal; 11-13-2014, 06:59 AM.

      Comment


      • #33
        Cuddyer hit a homer to deep center field in spring training today:
        http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6997242...r-for-the-lead
        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Strawman View Post
          I see Alderson signed 35-year-old former outfielder Michael Cuddyer for $21M.

          I'm confused....that's a lot to pay a coach, isn't it?
          Coach Cuddyer is second in the cactus/grapefruit league in homers. Good start.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
            Coach Cuddyer is second in the cactus/grapefruit league in homers. Good start.
            I still predict we'll see something like "Despite his injury, Cuddyer will remain with the team because management likes his influence on younger players" sometime this season.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Strawman View Post
              I still predict we'll see something like "Despite his injury, Cuddyer will remain with the team because management likes his influence on younger players" sometime this season.
              And best case scenario ?
              120 games, .280 12 HR's I'd take

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                And best case scenario ?
                120 games, .280 12 HR's I'd take
                Cuddyer may get injured - he may start collecting Social Security by June, but its funny how he is only 3 years older than Wright and 2 years older than Granderson and Strawman has him in an old age home at 35.


                I also hope he is a good influence on the younger players because that team is sorely lacking leadership.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  Cuddyer may get injured - he may start collecting Social Security by June, but its funny how he is only 3 years older than Wright and 2 years older than Granderson and Strawman has him in an old age home at 35.


                  I also hope he is a good influence on the younger players because that team is sorely lacking leadership.
                  I am hoping Wright bounce back, but I doubt the Grandy man ever hits .250 again. And I will give Cuddyer the benefit of the doubt, but I worry he is Jason Bay II

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                    I am hoping Wright bounce back, but I doubt the Grandy man ever hits .250 again. And I will give Cuddyer the benefit of the doubt, but I worry he is Jason Bay II
                    The weird thing about Cuddyer - a professional hitter, no question (who is 36 btw) - is that Alderson abandoned "The Plan" to sign him in giving up draft pick, and yet he's the only signing, a guy who would be a VERY nice part of a potential winner, but not really (in my view) an impact signing.
                    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                      I am hoping Wright bounce back, but I doubt the Grandy man ever hits .250 again. And I will give Cuddyer the benefit of the doubt, but I worry he is Jason Bay II
                      Its impossible for Cuddyer to be Bay all over again even if he doesn't get another hit for the remainder of the contract. The time and dollars of the Bay disaster are not even close to what Cuddyer is getting.

                      Cuddyer is a good hitter...not a great hitter, but a good hitter.

                      When you say Wright bounces back.....what exactly do you think he is going to bounce back to? If you are hoping for 2007 David Wright I think its safe to say you can forget that. There are a variety of reasons that cant happen - some of which I spoke about and was criticized for.

                      So a logical hope for David Wright is the 2012 version - that .863 OPS is on the high side of what logic allows me to hope for.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                        Its impossible for Cuddyer to be Bay all over again even if he doesn't get another hit for the remainder of the contract. The time and dollars of the Bay disaster are not even close to what Cuddyer is getting.

                        Cuddyer is a good hitter...not a great hitter, but a good hitter.

                        When you say Wright bounces back.....what exactly do you think he is going to bounce back to? If you are hoping for 2007 David Wright I think its safe to say you can forget that. There are a variety of reasons that cant happen - some of which I spoke about and was criticized for.

                        So a logical hope for David Wright is the 2012 version - that .863 OPS is on the high side of what logic allows me to hope for.
                        His old time stats of 2012 21hr 93 rbi .306 avg...I would take that at age 32. 4 of the last 6 years have been mediocre, at best, but if he could put up 2012 numbers - 2010 numbers seem gone for good- I would be happy.

                        Granderson's downward spiral of .232, .229, and.227 concern me the most.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Last month Jayson Stark wrote the Michael Cuddyer signing was the worst signing (to date) of the offseason.
                          Love for him to be proven wrong.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                            Last month Jayson Stark wrote the Michael Cuddyer signing was the worst signing (to date) of the offseason.
                            Love for him to be proven wrong.
                            How could a 2 year contract be so disastrous?? There were a few contracts signed this off season that could be a complete disaster.

                            Jayson Stark = blah blah blah.

                            I thought much less of the Chase Headly signing that the Yankees made -- what warrants that guy to get $13MM a year

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X