San Diego Padres 85½
    San Francisco Giants 84½
    Seattle Mariners 86½
    St. Louis Cardinals 88½
    Tampa Bay Rays 78½
    Texas Rangers 77½
    Toronto Blue Jays 82½
    Washington Nationals 92½

I not only think that the Mets will do much better than the 81.5 wins Vegas is using as the over under (every team has 1/2 games to avoid a push), but I am going for 88 wins and a wild card spot.
    They have a great deal of starting pitching which should cover up for the 3 or 4 line up holes they have...and some defensive lapses at C, 2nd, SS. Of all the teams and their projected over/under line, I think the Mets are one of the best bets in Vegas.

Other teams that stick out, the two Chicago teams could surprise. The Cubs at 82.5 and the Sox at 81.5 both should win at least 85 games. Only the Dodgers and Nationals in the NL are projected above 90; both are at 92.5. I see the Dodgers winning ta least 95, and the Nats right around 92. in the AL the Angels are the top pick at 89.5 and I think they will win around 92.

If the Dodgers and Angels meet in the WS, I think both managers will stay put, but if either of them don't win the pennant, I think whatever team doesn't make it will finally lose their manager.

The Yankees will struggle to reach .500 and note that the Royals are projected only at 79.5 wins. No WS repeat for them; and since this is an odd year no WS for the Giants either.

That's my picks....the Mets win 88 games, finish 4 games behind Washington, but win the wild card. Mets lose to Dodgers in ALCS. shades of 1988

I have the Mets at 85 - competing for the WC spot. I see them in battle for 2nd place in the division with Miami - but a double digit lead by Washington over the next team. I think the Nats win 96..97.

The Dodgers beat the Nats in the ALCS and go to win the WS.

Yankees again dont make the playoffs - the Royals fall off the map this year.

Seattle wins the ALCS and lose to the Dodgers in the WS.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      I have the Mets at 85 - competing for the WC spot. I see them in battle for 2nd place in the division with Miami - but a double digit lead by Washington over the next team. I think the Nats win 96..97.

The Dodgers beat the Nats in the ALCS and go to win the WS.

Yankees again dont make the playoffs - the Royals fall off the map this year.

Seattle wins the ALCS and lose to the Dodgers in the WS.
      86 wins for the Mets this year. I see them as the 2nd wild card, 1st round loss.

Good season all around. I see Flores as hanging onto SS and hitting around .270/18/60 with a slugging % of about .450. His defense is decent.

Wright finishes at .290/23/90. He is back

Cuddyer .295/22/70 in about 120 games

Duda .250/26/85.

Granderson .235/28/80

dArnaud .270/15/65. 120 games

Lagares .275/12/50. Gold Glove Centerfielder

Harvey 2.90/17-7/195 Ks. 190 innings pitched

Degrom 3.15/14-9/180 195 innings pitched

Niese Shortened season, arm injury with Matz filling in and getting 10 wins

Colon 3.85/ 12-11/ 190 innings pitched

Gee gets traded by May

Montero 3.50/ 12-7, mostly as a starter.

Bullpen by committee. Mejia, Familia and Parnell form one of the best 7-9th inning teams in baseball

Torres/Torres, Black and Blevins provide above average middle relief

Murphy gets traded at some point and Herrera is the starting 2nd baseman by August.

Citi Field becomes the place to watch baseball in NY this summer. Lots of blue caps can be seen in midtown and the financial district. The bandwagon starts to fill up.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
        86 wins for the Mets this year. I see them as the 2nd wild card, 1st round loss.

Good season all around. I see Flores as hanging onto SS and hitting around .270/18/60 with a slugging % of about .450. His defense is decent.

Wright finishes at .290/23/90. He is back

Cuddyer .295/22/70 in about 120 games

Duda .250/26/85.

Granderson .235/28/80

dArnaud .270/15/65. 120 games

Lagares .275/12/50. Gold Glove Centerfielder

Harvey 2.90/17-7/195 Ks. 190 innings pitched

Degrom 3.15/14-9/180 195 innings pitched

Niese Shortened season, arm injury with Matz filling in and getting 10 wins

Colon 3.85/ 12-11/ 190 innings pitched

Gee gets traded by May

Montero 3.50/ 12-7, mostly as a starter.

Bullpen by committee. Mejia, Familia and Parnell form one of the best 7-9th inning teams in baseball

Torres/Torres, Black and Blevins provide above average middle relief

Murphy gets traded at some point and Herrera is the starting 2nd baseman by August.

Citi Field becomes the place to watch baseball in NY this summer. Lots of blue caps can be seen in midtown and the financial district. The bandwagon starts to fill up.
        Great post.

Still don't know my prediction but RJ you're probably right about Murph, whose birthday is today.

Comment

I'll give them the over by half a game. I'm not buying the spring offense against pitchers wearing numbers in the 70s. It will all come back to earth, but maybe not as far as the worst scenarios; Long has done a good job. On the other hand, we have an awful manager. And there will be injuries.

Up:

Lagares
          Wright (if healthy)
          Flores
          Granderson (if healthy)

Down:

Duda
          D'Arnaud
          Murphy (and probably traded to AL team)

Potential surprises:

Montero (looks like another pitcher)
          Parnell (surprise to the downside, don't think he's coming back to closer)
          Cuddyer (if healthy)

Young pitchers will all struggles for a month each. Bullpen, despite the additions, is weak (especially at closer ) - or at minimum, unsettled.

For me, .500 is a big deal.
          Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Baseball Prospectus projections for 2015 NL East:
            http://www.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/

Washington 92-70
            New York 83-79
            Miami 81-81
            Atlanta 72-90
            Philadelphia 67-95

My predicted 2015 NL East standings:

Washington 94-68
            New York 86-76
            Miami 81-81
            Atlanta 76-86
            Philadelphia 69-93
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

If Kirk Nieuwenhuis can just bring the offense he's delivered in the Majors so far he'd probably wind up with the same WAR as Cuddyer over a whole season. He has a plus glove. The place to have spent money was an upgrade at shortstop. That's where extra wins could have been bought.

There also seems to be an assumption here that nothing will go wrong. Things always go wrong and some players fail to live up to expectations. Their best young pitching won't make the team out of Spring Training. I'll say 84 wins.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Plenty can go wrong, that's why the experts have them at 81.5 wins and no one here is over 88 wins yet, we all know that anything and everything can go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                  Plenty can go wrong, that's why the experts have them at 81.5 wins and no one here is over 88 wins yet, we all know that anything and everything can go wrong.
                  Goes without saying, we are Met fans!

Comment

I think the division is poor. The Phillies could lose 100, the Braves could lose 90, Miami may be below.500. The Mets could get 44 wins inside the division, which is half of what I hope for.
                    I do wish the Mets had worked on d'Arnaud possibly moving to the outfield. I am not convinced of his defense at all. Travis looked lost the first half at the plate, but looked like an All Star at the plate in the second half. However his defense is a huge concern to me.

If just one of these two, Wright or Duda, has a good season I see 88 wins and a wild card. If both have great seasons, then it could get even better. If both have poor season...oh well I have been wrong many times before.

If the Mets were in the NL west with the Dodgers, Giants, and Padres I think .500 would be OK. Same if they were in the central with the Cardinals, Cubs, Pirates. But the NL looks weak, time to fatten up.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                      I think the division is poor. The Phillies could lose 100, the Braves could lose 90, Miami may be below.500. The Mets could get 44 wins inside the division, which is half of what I hope for.
                      I do wish the Mets had worked on d'Arnaud possibly moving to the outfield. I am not convinced of his defense at all. Travis looked lost the first half at the plate, but looked like an All Star at the plate in the second half. However his defense is a huge concern to me.

If just one of these two, Wright or Duda, has a good season I see 88 wins and a wild card. If both have great seasons, then it could get even better. If both have poor season...oh well I have been wrong many times before.

If the Mets were in the NL west with the Dodgers, Giants, and Padres I think .500 would be OK. Same if they were in the central with the Cardinals, Cubs, Pirates. But the NL looks weak, time to fatten up.
                      Don't disagree but if the Mets succeed the media will say the division is poor.
                      Meanwhile the Nats are predicted to be WS bound because they are the best team, not because they are in a poor division.

Comment

Don't disagree but if the Mets succeed the media will say the division is poor.
                        Meanwhile the Nats are predicted to be WS bound because they are the best team, not because they are in a poor division.
                        I think Yankee fans that hate the Mets will point to the division as the primary reason for the Mets success (if they are successful).

As far as the media goes - I think it really depends on how bad the division is because lets face it - part of the reason for the optimism this year is because the division is bad not because the Mets are a great team.

Comment

I think Yankee fans that hate the Mets will point to the division as the primary reason for the Mets success (if they are successful).

As far as the media goes - I think it really depends on how bad the division is because lets face it - part of the reason for the optimism this year is because the division is bad not because the Mets are a great team.
                          You still have to win the games and on any given day.....
                          The AL east is supposedly weak this year so Yanks should beat up on their opponents I suppose.

Comment

You still have to win the games and on any given day.....
                            The AL east is supposedly weak this year so Yanks should beat up on their opponents I suppose.
                            Yanks - no your statement is not accurate because the Yankees are not a good team and shouldnt beat up on anyone. They are filled with injury risks and "ifs".

Yes you have to win the games you play no doubt - but if your playing an schedule heavily slanted towards your own division and those teams are genearally much weaker (Phils/Braves) doesnt that give the Mets an advantage that they wouldnt have playing in a tougher division? I think so.

That doesnt take away from the optimism but it is a fact that the NL East isnt exactly a power house as a whole.

Comment

Yankee fans are not going to be talking about anything except how Cashman needs to go.

As for the Nats, one Vegas house has the Nats as the favorites to win the pennant. Then :
                              Los Angeles Dodgers west
                              9/2
                              St. Louis Cardinals central
                              6/1
                              Chicago Cubs central
                              7/1
                              Pittsburgh Pirates central
                              9/1
                              San Diego Padres west
                              9/1
                              San Francisco Giants west
                              9/1
                              New York Mets east
                              14:1

of the top 8 teams, 3 are in the west, 3 in the central, and Nats and Mets in east. Who cares if Yankees fans complain about the division; if the Yankees were in the AL west they could finish last. Or at least near the bottom.

The Phillies are listed as 150-1 to win the WS ('69 Mets were 100-1). Nobody can help it that they are in the NL east, but they are dreadful. I am sure they rue that they only won once in that 5 year stretch.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X