2015 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Mets Season Thread

Will the Mets finish above .500 this year?

I think so. I still think if they'd acquired an above average shortstop they would have been able to get to the Wild Card game at least. Nieuwenhuis could probably match Cuddyer in WAR over a full season if he just matched his career average in offense. Spending on Cuddyer this year was a bad move. For the cost of Cuddyer and the bigger scoreboard they could have bought a shortstop and probably a playoff berth.

But they still might make the playoffs. It's a weak division. Anything can happen. That also means nothing should be taken for granted. The Braves had up and coming pitching talent as deep as the Mets a couple years ago. Most of them are gone. The Braves look to be easy opponents this year. I guess you could consider it a cautionary tale.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that no matter what Terry Collins does this year he'll be gone next year. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised if Wally Backman is his replacement. The Wilpons expect to open a mall after next season and will probably pull out all stops to be better and more interesting next season. This is probably a transition year. But the future is hard to predict and this might be the year where everyone is healthy and their chance to go the playoffs is as good as it'll ever be. If I was owner I'd have seized the opportunity. Remember the Braves.

Thoughts?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

I think this team will be okay. I'm concerned about the defense, especially up the middle with Murphy and Flores and two old corner outfielders in Granderson and Cuddyer. But I think the offense might be okay. The bullpen can be shaky but the starting pitching is pretty good.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Happy Opening Day

There are actual standings, Cards in first, Cubs in last. Some things don't change.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
        Happy Opening Day

There are actual standings, Cards in first, Cubs in last. Some things don't change.
        Best day of the year, opening day! Enjoy the season, everybody.

Comment

Wow, is it Opening Day already?

Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
            Wow, is it Opening Day already?

Yep, happens every year lately, right after opening night. With apologies to the Cincinnati Reds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
              Will the Mets finish above .500 this year?

I think so. I still think if they'd acquired an above average shortstop they would have been able to get to the Wild Card game at least. Nieuwenhuis could probably match Cuddyer in WAR over a full season if he just matched his career average in offense. Spending on Cuddyer this year was a bad move. For the cost of Cuddyer and the bigger scoreboard they could have bought a shortstop and probably a playoff berth.

But they still might make the playoffs. It's a weak division. Anything can happen. That also means nothing should be taken for granted. The Braves had up and coming pitching talent as deep as the Mets a couple years ago. Most of them are gone. The Braves look to be easy opponents this year. I guess you could consider it a cautionary tale.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that no matter what Terry Collins does this year he'll be gone next year. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised if Wally Backman is his replacement. The Wilpons expect to open a mall after next season and will probably pull out all stops to be better and more interesting next season. This is probably a transition year. But the future is hard to predict and this might be the year where everyone is healthy and their chance to go the playoffs is as good as it'll ever be. If I was owner I'd have seized the opportunity. Remember the Braves.

Thoughts?
              I like the Cuddyer signing - its just too bad it was the only one executed. He will add to the team for sure -- if healthy. I guess we can say that about anyone. Ask the Blue Jays as their trainers had to come out and check on Reyes in the 3rd inning. He stayed in though.

I dont think the Mets were ever getting another SS regardless of the lip service. Weak division yes...Hopefull the Mets can capitalize on it. You already know the owners dont care about the opportunity.

Comment

Good win today. Beating the Nats and Scherzer is very good even if they hand it to you as they did.

Where are the Colon pitching on opening day bashers???? Time to be quiet.

Comment

Good win, even with the assist by Ian Desmond.

Nice outing by Colon to say the least. Good to see d'Arnaud and Duda hit the ball well...hopefully the rest of the team follows suit, but they were facing Scherzer.

And since the Mets won so quickly, bonus coverage on ESPN of the Dodgers/Padres game (how about Matt Kemp getting hit after hit against his old team and Clayton Kershaw giving up 3 runs?) and so those of us STILL denied his play-by-play by the ongoing TimeWarner/DirecTV standoff get to hear Vin Scully on Opening Day once more, as the baseball gods intended!

Huh, according to Scully, Ted Williams never went hitless on Opening Day. Nice fact. Looking forward to deGrom on Wednesday, and Harvey/Strasburg Thursday!
                  "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Ticker on SNY Encore says Mejia had elbow pain warming up and is expected to be shut down, whatever that means.
                    Last edited by EasilyFound; 04-06-2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Flores looked terrific at SS, btw - very strong arm. No hits, but team didn't get many.
                      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                        Flores looked terrific at SS, btw - very strong arm. No hits, but team didn't get many.
                        Pop out with runner on third and less than two outs . . . you don't always need to get a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post

Flores is my newest "Underdog" to root for. Nobody thinks he can play the position but he has worked at it non stop for over a year. Having Flores play SS AND still having a deep farm system just might be one of the best decisions of the offseason. Very easy guy to root for.

Comment

Count me in on the Flores "bandwagon". D'Arnaud as well.

As for the Colon opening day start, isn't it genius. 1-0 and they have DeGrom and Harvey coming up in reserve. Woo hoo it's like found money!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                              Flores is my newest "Underdog" to root for. Nobody thinks he can play the position but he has worked at it non stop for over a year. Having Flores play SS AND still having a deep farm system just might be one of the best decisions of the offseason. Very easy guy to root for.
                              Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                              Count me in on the Flores "bandwagon". D'Arnaud as well.

As for the Colon opening day start, isn't it genius. 1-0 and they have DeGrom and Harvey coming up in reserve. Woo hoo it's like found money!!!
                              If Flores can play short and hit, he can be a huge difference maker. If that happens is the Met organization off the hook for not trading a pitcher for a SS this off season?

With the current injury situation (now possibly Mejia) you would have to like that Mets held on to the pitching. This is of course with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but nonetheless its good to have that position in reserve.

I know its only one game but I loved the way they won yesterday. Duda capitalizing on a mistake by the Nats. Especially against one of the best pitchers in baseball. In past years they find a way to lose that game. Like I said its one game so it may not mean much, but it was good to see.

On another note - did anyone notice Scherzer have a hissy fit when Desmond dropped the ball? Not exactly a great way to endear yourself to your new teammates. Although he said all the right things I am sure Desmond was not happy with Scherzer's reaction. Errors happen - its how you handle them that counts.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X