3B: David Wright, Howard Johnson
    SS: Jose Reyes, Bud Harrelson
    LF: Kevin McReynolds
    CF: Carlos Beltran, Juan Legaras, Lenny Dykstra
    RF: Darryl Strawberry
    SP: Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, Jerry Koosman, Al Leiter. Sid Fernandez
    RP: Armando Benitez, Billy Wagner, John Franco, Randy Myers, Turk Wendell

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sockeye; 05-04-2015, 05:07 PM.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Dykstra never played LF and never played full-time but I am sure he has some nice rate stats. Cleon Jones would be the LF. In his day, Grote was considered the best defensive catcher in the NL not named Bench. Stearns would not be in my top three. Carter was on the downside for much of his career but still had a great 1985 season. John Franco was vomit inducing, Turk Wendell forgettable. Tug McGraw is an iconic figure with the Mets "Ya Gotta Believe", and not in a Marv Throneberry way.

Comment

It's important how you define an All-Time Roster. For example, should it include only players who had their best or most notable years with the team (and if they had good years with multiple teams that might be hard to define), or should it be drawn from all players who ever played for the team, regardless of what point in their careers they were members. A lot of players played multiple positions, and especially later in their careers may have moved from their main one.

If the latter, you'd have to include Hall Of Fame position players Richie Ashburn, Yogi Berra, Gary Carter, Eddie Murray, Duke Snider, Roberto Alomar, Rickey Henderson, and Willie Mays; and pitchers Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez, Nolan Ryan and Warren Spahn. A good argument could also be made for Gil Hodges, Orel Hershiser, George Foster, and a few others who had great careers with other teams and could be included on an all-time Mets roster.
      Last edited by Chef Bill; 05-04-2015, 07:32 AM.
      "Chef Bill"
      Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
        Dykstra never played LF and never played full-time but I am sure he has some nice rate stats. Cleon Jones would be the LF. In his day, Grote was considered the best defensive catcher in the NL not named Bench. Stearns would not be in my top three. Carter was on the downside for much of his career but still had a great 1985 season. John Franco was vomit inducing, Turk Wendell forgettable. Tug McGraw is an iconic figure with the Mets "Ya Gotta Believe", and not in a Marv Throneberry way.
        I agree with you in principle. I tried to get the best 5 outfielders on the team. Problem is that 4 of the 5 played center. I took out Lance Jonson but instead of Cleon Jones I added Kevin McReynolds who was slightly better IMO.

I considered both Carter and Grote for the backup catcher duty but ended up choosing John Stearns. Here is the comparison

Stearns: 19.5 WAR in 809 games
        Carter: 11.3 WAR in 600 games
        Grote: 15.3 WAR in 1235 games

Grote played 426 more games for the Mets but still had 4.2 less WAR than Stearns. Carter played 74.2% as many games but only totaled 57.9% of the WAR. So in my way of thinking Stearns was the best of the 3 for the Mets.
        Location....San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by Chef Bill View Post
          It's important how you define an All-Time Roster. For example, should it include only players who had their best or most notable years with the team (and if they had good years with multiple teams that might be hard to define), or should it be drawn from all players who ever played for the team, regardless of what point in their careers they were members. A lot of players played multiple positions, and especially later in their careers may have moved from their main one.

If the latter, you'd have to include Hall Of Fame position players Richie Ashburn, Yogi Berra, Gary Carter, Eddie Murray, Duke Snider, Roberto Alomar, Rickey Henderson, and Willie Mays; and pitchers Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez, Nolan Ryan and Warren Spahn. A good argument could also be made for Gil Hodges, Orel Hershiser, George Foster, and a few others who had great careers with other teams and could be included on an all-time Mets roster.
          I only consider the players performance while with the team. In this case for the Mets.
          Location....San Diego

Comment

Impossible not to have Cleon Jones on this team.

Also, I'm carrying three catchers and their names are Piazza, Carter and Grote.

Tug McGraw has to be there in the pen, so does Jesse Orosco.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

I don't have the nearly the command of statistics or "Sabermetrics" that others here do, but here's my All-Time Mets 25-Man Roster.

Following Sockeye's requirement to only consider players' performance with the Mets, my selections are drawn from the players who appeared in the most games at each position for at least two seasons according to UltimateMets.com http://www.ultimatemets.com/index.php

These are players I'd want on my squad with a big game on the line. I tried to think of who I'd want to see on the field for nine innings, and who I'd want to have at bat in a big situation. Five players (Gary Carter, Eddie Murray, Tom Seaver, Tom Glavine, and Pedro Martinez) are in the Hall of Fame. Needless to say, there's a lot of nostalgia and gut feel that went into my picks. As my father would have said, "That's what makes horse racing."

C: Mike Piazza, Gary Carter
              1B: Keith Hernandez, Eddie Murray
              2B: Wally Backman, Felix Millan
              3B: David Wright, Robin Ventura
              SS: Jose Reyes, Bud Harrelson
              LF: Cleon Jones, George Foster
              CF: Mookie Wilson, Tommie Agee
              RF: Darryl Strawberry, Rusty Staub
              SP: Tom Seaver, Tom Glavine, Dwight Gooden, Pedro Martinez, David Cone
              RP: Armando Benitez, Tug McGraw, John Franco, Randy Myers
              Last edited by Chef Bill; 05-06-2015, 01:24 PM.
              "Chef Bill"
              Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X