Noah Syndergaard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noah Syndergaard

Looking at Gameday at MLB's website. Syndergaard's fastball has so much movement pitch by pitch listings like "97mph Curveball" are regularly scrolling by.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

His start in Chicago was like that as well. High 90's consistently.
    So far so good.

Comment

Never mind the shutout pitching. What are Muno and Plawecki doing hitting ahead of Syndergaard?

3 for 3 with a homer today.

Can Syndergaard play 3B?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Seriously, who needs a DH when you got pitching that hits like this?
        :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
        Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Originally posted by trepye View Post
          Seriously, who needs a DH when you got pitching that hits like this?
          I would have thought you hated the idea of a pitcher hitting a home run. Didn't you once advocate the Polo Grounds 483 foot CF as being the ideal prototype? Darn, what a cheap 400 footer. It would have been better watching Thor race around those bases.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
            Didn't you once advocate the Polo Grounds 483 foot CF as being the ideal prototype?
            Whilst I do like the idea of deep outfields, no, to me PG is not ideal, so not I never said that. Please do not make it up as you go along, thanks :-) .

Officially, the one proposal I did post in the "dream ballpark designs" thread looks more like Fenway than PG. Make the deep spots between the outfielder spots so they cannot commit to the ball early and catch long straightaway hits.... a real gap.
            Original plan Citifield.jpg

Notice how in that proposal Duda still hits HR's (the field continues through under the bridge and the ball would be bouncing away from the outfielder).... meanwhile under new dimensions guys like Heyward do things like this.... http://m.mlb.com/video/v123520583/st...-run/?c_id=mlb

Out of the 8 HR's hit into Sandy's new dead spot in right center 6 have been by the visiting team check it out.... http://www.hittrackeronline.com/deta...&type=ballpark. It obviously has not hurt the teams overall home record; but I am hard pressed to believe that being out-homered three-fold in a certain idiotic arbitrary outfield zone set forth by the hometeams' GM is going to be beneficial in the long run; specially when you have a centerfielder like Lagares or the pitching that we have.
            Last edited by trepye; 05-28-2015, 10:38 AM.
            :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
            Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Whilst I do like the idea of deep outfields, no, to me PG is not ideal, so not I never said that. Please do not make it up as you go along, thanks :-) .

Officially, the one proposal I did post in the "dream ballpark designs" thread looks more like Fenway than PG. Make the deep spots between the outfielder spots so they cannot commit to the ball early and catch long straightaway hits.... a real gap.

Notice how in that proposal Duda still hits HR's (the field continues through under the bridge and the ball would be bouncing away from the outfielder).... meanwhile under new dimensions guys like Heyward do things like this.... http://m.mlb.com/video/v123520583/st...-run/?c_id=mlb

Out of the 8 HR's hit into Sandy's new dead spot in right center 6 have been by the visiting team check it out.... http://www.hittrackeronline.com/deta...&type=ballpark. It obviously has not hurt the teams overall home record; but I am hard pressed to believe that being out-homered three-fold in a certain idiotic arbitrary outfield zone set forth by the hometeams' GM is going to be beneficial in the long run; specially when you have a centerfielder like Lagares or the pitching that we have.
              So lets get this straight. Your first contention was that the Mets were not good at home because they were out homered at home and moving the fences in was just stupid.

Now they are winning at home AND OUT HOMER THEIR OPPONENTS AT HOME 24-17. Now because of a certain section of fence is not playing to the Mets favor yet.....your complaining yet again.

In this section of fence they are being out homered 6-2. Mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                So lets get this straight. Your first contention was that the Mets were not good at home because they were out homered at home and moving the fences in was just stupid.

Now they are winning at home AND OUT HOMER THEIR OPPONENTS AT HOME 24-17. Now because of a certain section of fence is not playing to the Mets favor yet.....your complaining yet again.

In this section of fence they are being out homered 6-2. Mind boggling.
                My only guess is that it affects some make believe / fantasy stuff and nothing to do with actually playing . I would venture a guess that in just about any ball park there is a stretch (no matter how small) of fence that visitors hit more hrs than a home team . It could be the Pesky Pole or it could be Waveland Avenue .the Mets hit 22 hrs and visitors only hit 11 hrs in most of the park but someone is concerned there is one spot where the visitors have hit 6 hrs to the Mets 2. Talk about cherry picking numbers !

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                  Talk about cherry picking numbers !
                  How is it cherry picking numbers? Alderson cherry picked the distances to the detriment of this teams pitching and Gold Glove Centerfielder. Had they just left the dimensions original the team would have had a little less HR's against, that's fact. I did not cherry pick anything I have been saying all along that moving the fences in right field was folly because a hitter like Duda (or Ike at the time when they first did it) does not need help upping their HR totals. Since '12 Wright (purportedly who they were aimed at helping) has not benefited one bit from messing around from the original dimensions; and this year so far neither has Granderson.

Again, they have been winning at home despite the disadvantage they have had in the HR's totals in ex-live ball regions of the ballpark (which were cherry picked by the GM); hopefully they can keep that up.

Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

How is it cherry picking numbers? Alderson cherry picked the distances to the detriment of this teams pitching and Gold Glove Centerfielder. Had they just left the dimensions original the team would have had a little less HR's against, that's fact. I did not cherry pick anything I have been saying all along that moving the fences in right field was folly because a hitter like Duda (or Ike at the time when they first did it) does not need help upping their HR totals. Since '12 Wright (purportedly who they were aimed at helping) has not benefited one bit from messing around from the original dimensions; and this year so far neither has Granderson.

Again, they have been winning at home despite the disadvantage they have had in the HR's totals in ex-live ball regions of the ballpark (which were cherry picked by the GM); hopefully they can keep that up.
                    How many balls did Duda, and Murphy hit over the last couple of years that would have been gone in Citi or a "normal" park? I was at a few games last year and Murphy hit atleast 2 balls that should have been homers.

You need to reevaluate when it comes to one aspect of your argument Seriously - I have said this before but you need to think about it ...seriously = The Mets have outstanding pitching Noah seems like he is as advertised to go along with Harvey & deGrom. With that pitching staff and the piss poor offense - why would you want to further assist the pitching when they have the ability to do it on their own. We dont need to fabricate a safety net with the ball park. This was the case in 2009 & 2010. We thought we had good pitching until they hit the road and played in real ball parks. Then we found out ...maybe not so much. I have said this 1000 times. When Harvey is pitching or any dominant pitcher - Kershaw - Felix - Scherzer the smaller the park the better off their teams are. Why? Because the opposition is not going to pepper those guys, but on the other hand the opposition without the Harvey, Felix or Kershaw is going to have a less than pitcher pitching to my hitters that can take advantage of the park. Why is this Quantum Physics for some people to understand?

Why were the Phillies so successful in that absolute band box - with Lee, Halladay, and Hamels? Obviously an explanation is necessary so I will tell you why - Because when those 3 were on the mound the hitters they were facing were at a huge disadvantage when the manager put their name on the lineup card. Now the Phillie hitters that were facing Met pitching - that looked really good at Citi in 2009 were now feeble in a park that was slanted towards hitting and were thereby exposed for the suck pitcher they were.

You keep harping on the centerfielder issue like he is the only one out there. How about the other two guys with limited range, and no throwing arm? Should we have 250 foot fences where they play to accomodate their outfield ability?

Like Mandrake said if you run the same analysis on another park you will find that the home team is getting out homered in a certain area - its just the law of averages.

Hyperthetical question for you - What if by year end the Mets continue to out homer their opponents at home - have a well above .500 winning % at home and actually somehow make up this insurmountable 4 home run deficit in this critical area of earth? What will be said? What will be the next complaint?
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 05-29-2015, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                      3 for 3 with a homer today.
                      As a fan who is also interested in sports memorabilia, I take an interest in situations like this that focus on what happened to the baseball. Here's "Thor" making contact with the ball...

...and here, Philadelphia centerfielder Odubel Herrera watches helplessly as the ball flies into the stands. (In this image, the ball can be seen as a vertical white line below the yellow 4 in the SNY graphic.)

Unfortunately for the fans sitting nearby, the ball bounced back onto the field. Good news for Syndergaard, I thought, because the ball would be set aside for him.

However...

...instead of tossing the ball towards the infield, Herrera throws it back into the stands!

My first thought: bad sportsmanship on Herrera's part. But then I wondered if Herrera didn't realize the importance of the ball, and thought he was just making nice by giving it back to the fans, one of whom would have gotten it anyway if it hadn't bounced back.

And, while SNY showed the guy who got the ball proudly displaying his treasure...

...what they didn't show was people from the Mets approaching him, presumably to work out a trade deal. (The Philadelphia broadcast did show this.) So, in all likelihood, "Thor" will get his first home run baseball eventually.

(Note: all of the images in this post are screen captures of the original SNY broadcast.)
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?
                      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

You need to reevaluate when it comes to one aspect of your argument Seriously - I have said this before but you need to think about it ...seriously = The Mets have outstanding pitching Noah seems like he is as advertised to go along with Harvey & deGrom. With that pitching staff and the piss poor offense - why would you want to further assist the pitching when they have the ability to do it on their own. We dont need to fabricate a safety net with the ball park. This was the case in 2009 & 2010. We thought we had good pitching until they hit the road and played in real ball parks. Then we found out ...maybe not so much. I have said this 1000 times. When Harvey is pitching or any dominant pitcher - Kershaw - Felix - Scherzer the smaller the park the better off their teams are. Why? Because the opposition is not going to pepper those guys, but on the other hand the opposition without the Harvey, Felix or Kershaw is going to have a less than pitcher pitching to my hitters that can take advantage of the park. Why is this Quantum Physics for some people to understand?

Why were the Phillies so successful in that absolute band box - with Lee, Halladay, and Hamels? Obviously an explanation is necessary so I will tell you why - Because when those 3 were on the mound the hitters they were facing were at a huge disadvantage when the manager put their name on the lineup card. Now the Phillie hitters that were facing Met pitching - that looked really good at Citi in 2009 were now feeble in a park that was slanted towards hitting and were thereby exposed for the suck pitcher they were.

You keep harping on the centerfielder issue like he is the only one out there. How about the other two guys with limited range, and no throwing arm? Should we have 250 foot fences where they play to accomodate their outfield ability?

Like Mandrake said if you run the same analysis on another park you will find that the home team is getting out homered in a certain area - its just the law of averages.

Hyperthetical question for you - What if by year end the Mets continue to out homer their opponents at home - have a well above .500 winning % at home and actually somehow make up this insurmountable 4 home run deficit in this critical area of earth? What will be said? What will be the next complaint?

Nope. The Phillies were not successful as they should have been with Lee, Halladay and Hamels; they never even made it to a world series with what most would agree was an all-star pitching rotation. If you are making an argument that you can help your pitching too much the Giants and the Royals disprove that notion. In fact head to head with their philosophical counterpart the Giants licked the Phillies in 2010 en route to a WS championship. I know that facts don't mean much to many in this forum but in this era of baseball pitching and defense wins and building around your dimensions wins; not pitching, with some defense and curtailing your dimensions towards lesser hitting talent.

I would be more than happy to help Harvey, DeGrom, Syndegaard, and Wheeler more so than Murphy, Wright, Granderson, Duda; specially since the latter 2 demonstratively hit HR's consistently but have not benefitted from smaller dimensions thus far.

Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Nope. The Phillies were not successful as they should have been with Lee, Halladay and Hamels; they never even made it to a world series with what most would agree was an all-star pitching rotation. If you are making an argument that you can help your pitching too much the Giants and the Royals disprove that notion. In fact head to head with their philosophical counterpart the Giants licked the Phillies in 2010 en route to a WS championship. I know that facts don't mean much to many in this forum but in this era of baseball pitching and defense wins and building around your dimensions wins; not pitching, with some defense and curtailing your dimensions towards lesser hitting talent.

I would be more than happy to help Harvey, DeGrom, Syndegaard, and Wheeler more so than Murphy, Wright, Granderson, Duda; specially since the latter 2 demonstratively hit HR's consistently but have not benefitted from smaller dimensions thus far.
                          So they werent successful in 2010? Oh I thought winning 97 games was a fairly successful season. I thought making it to the NLCS was also considered successful. So excuse me if I am wrong in my opinion.

Also - I guess making the playoffs 2007-2011 with 2 WS visits and one win isnt successful either because as Met fans we know success when we see it. The Phils made the playoffs 5 years in a row in that band box. How the hell did that happen?

Comment

So they werent successful in 2010? Oh I thought winning 97 games was a fairly successful season. I thought making it to the NLCS was also considered successful. So excuse me if I am wrong in my opinion.
                            Well I reckon using the word "successful" could be up for debate. Perhaps the more undisputable fact was that the Phillies and their starting rotation did not reach their full potential of expectations. Whereas the Giants with their enormous ball park exceeded expectations (and continually do so; 3 WS and counting...) consistently because they played toward their strengths (pitching) instead of catering to their weaknesses as Aldy has done with Citifield and the trough of the Mets talent pool.

Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Well I reckon using the word "successful" could be up for debate. Perhaps the more undisputable fact was that the Phillies and their starting rotation did not reach their full potential of expectations. Whereas the Giants with their enormous ball park exceeded expectations (and continually do so; 3 WS and counting...) consistently because they played toward their strengths (pitching) instead of catering to their weaknesses as Aldy has done with Citifield and the trough of the Mets talent pool.
                              I cant/wont take anything away from the Giants results. The 3 WS wins in 5 years is excellent obviously. That doesnt mean that the Mets need to model their team after the Giants.

You can talk about the Giants and Royals all you like - I dont think that either team was nearly the best team in baseball last year...nor do I think the Giants were the best team in baseball in 2010 or 2012. Unfortunately baseball has become too much like the NFL as far if you make the playoffs - get healthy and get hot at the right time you can go all the way. I hate that fact. This is exactly what the Giants did especially in 2014. Again I cant argue the results as they walked away with the hardware. I just dont like the style....nor has that style been successful throughout the history of baseball as a whole.

The Dodgers, Angels, O's and Nats were clearly the cream of the crop last year, but it only takes a bad game or two to find yourself eliminated in the post season crap shoot. By the way the 4 best teams can pitch but they can hit and hit for both average and power.

You like a different style of play than I do. Period. I like a balanced team that can pitch, play defense, and especially hit and hit with power. You obvioulsy heavily slanted towards pitching/defense dominance.

Which means you should be very happy right now because the Mets are heavily slanted towards pitching, and regardless of what you say Citi is still a pitchers park.

Me on the other hand I am still waiting for that everyday player that is a stud HOF type that the Mets can call their own. The potential MVP type that the offense is built around.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X