Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell to Nelson Doubleday

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/18/bu...t-81.html?_r=0

Nelson Doubleday Jr., who shortly after taking over his family’s publishing business used it in 1980 to buy the lowly New York Mets and put the team on course to win the World Series in 1986, died on Wednesday at his home in Locust Valley, N.Y. He was 81.

To those of us who suffered through the disaster of 1977-1979, the day Mr Doubleday bought the team was one of the best moments in the Mets history. If you were one of the 800,000 who went to Shea to visit "Grant's Tomb" in 1979, nobody could forget how a change of ownership changed the atmosphere at Shea almost immediately.

At 42 and 42 in July, the Mets were only 4 games out after being the worst team in MLB...and The Magic seemed back. The 1980 magic did not last, but by 1982-83 fans could see that Tidewater and Jackson had some good prospects, and by 1984 the Mets seemed on the verge of something special.

Thank you Mr Doubleday for truly saving the franchise. And thanks for over ruling Wilpon and getting MIKE PIAZZA. Nelson, you were on the fan's side on just about every Mets issue. Thank you.
    Last edited by mandrake; 06-21-2015, 04:52 AM.

One week in 1980 stands out even now. On Monday June 10th, the LA Dodgers came in expecting to sweep the Mets. I was at that game as the Mets fell behind 4-0 as Garvey and Baker homered off Zachry. Bob Welch and his 6-1 record seemed like it was not going to be the Mets night .Shea was at least 50% Dodger fans that night, but Hausman shut the door, and John Stearns drove in a pair of runs as the Mets came back and rocked Shea 5-4. 14,759 fans never made so much noise (the upper deck was closed and GA seats were the back of the Mezz in the summer of 1980). The next night the game was only on the new "Sportschannel" which we did not have since NYC wasn't wired for cable yet- so I went over my Uncle's house where the game appeared on Wometco Home Theatre and Mike Jorgensen hit a 10th inning grand slam to beat the Dodgers 6-2. Swan pitched 10 innings for the win ! 23,540 showed up and rocked Shea. The 3rd night I went back to Shea as John Pacella was rocked and the Mets were down 5-0 by the 3rd inning. Instead of rolling over, the Mets came back , won the game 6-5 and swept the Dodgers. (The sweep ended up costing LA big as they finished in a 92-70 tie with Houston and lost the 163rd game).

On Saturday night, June 15th, the Mets were down to the Giants 6-2. Two outs in the ninth...an incredible rally happened, capped by Steve Henderson launching a 3 run HR to RCF. Ralph Kiner sounded thrilled for the first time in about 7 years. The Hendu moment was the high point of 1980.....if you were a Mets fan that far back, you haven't forgotten.

The magic was back.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
      One week in 1980 stands out even now. On Monday June 10th, the LA Dodgers came in expecting to sweep the Mets. I was at that game as the Mets fell behind 4-0 as Garvey and Baker homered off Zachry. Bob Welch and his 6-1 record seemed like it was not going to be the Mets night .Shea was at least 50% Dodger fans that night, but Hausman shut the door, and John Stearns drove in a pair of runs as the Mets came back and rocked Shea 5-4. 14,759 fans never made so much noise (the upper deck was closed and GA seats were the back of the Mezz in the summer of 1980). The next night the game was only on the new "Sportschannel" which we did not have since NYC wasn't wired for cable yet- so I went over my Uncle's house where the game appeared on Wometco Home Theatre and Mike Jorgensen hit a 10th inning grand slam to beat the Dodgers 6-2. Swan pitched 10 innings for the win ! 23,540 showed up and rocked Shea. The 3rd night I went back to Shea as John Pacella was rocked and the Mets were down 5-0 by the 3rd inning. Instead of rolling over, the Mets came back , won the game 6-5 and swept the Dodgers. (The sweep ended up costing LA big as they finished in a 92-70 tie with Houston and lost the 163rd game).

On Saturday night, June 15th, the Mets were down to the Giants 6-2. Two outs in the ninth...an incredible rally happened, capped by Steve Henderson launching a 3 run HR to RCF. Ralph Kiner sounded thrilled for the first time in about 7 years. The Hendu moment was the high point of 1980.....if you were a Mets fan that far back, you haven't forgotten.

The magic was back.
      Mandrake you just brought back an unbelievable memory for me. I was living in Brooklyn and listening to game on the radio with my friends that Saturday night when Henderson hit that homer. Henderson was my favorite Met at the time. He became my favorite Met in 1977 when he hit a grand slam in the second game of double header against the Pirates - I was in the upper deck that day when Stevie Wonder hit the slam.

When Henderson hit that homer to beat the Giants I remember screaming in the street like I just lost my mind (not a far stretch). I remember running home to see if I could catch a replay.

I remember them being 42-42 and 4 games out of first that year also. They did the second half dive, but the first half ride was worth it. Especially coming off of 77,78,79.

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/18/bu...t-81.html?_r=0

Nelson Doubleday Jr., who shortly after taking over his family’s publishing business used it in 1980 to buy the lowly New York Mets and put the team on course to win the World Series in 1986, died on Wednesday at his home in Locust Valley, N.Y. He was 81.

To those of us who suffered through the disaster of 1977-1979, the day Mr Doubleday bought the team was one of the best moments in the Mets history. If you were one of the 800,000 who went to Shea to visit "Grant's Tomb" in 1979, nobody could forget how a change of ownership changed the atmosphere at Shea almost immediately.

At 42 and 42 in July, the Mets were only 4 games out after being the worst team in MLB...and The Magic seemed back. The 1980 magic did not last, but by 1982-83 fans could see that Tidewater and Jackson had some good prospects, and by 1984 the Mets seemed on the verge of something special.

Thank you Mr Doubleday for truly saving the franchise. And thanks for over ruling Wilpon and getting MIKE PIAZZA. Nelson, you were on the fan's side on just about every Mets issue. Thank you.
        The analogy that comes to mind when I think about the Wilpon/Doubleday situation is this:

You go in for kidney surgery, and the doctor removes the good kidney and leaves you with the diseased one. That is about as close as I can get to describing what Wilpon means to the Met franchise.

Comment

How vapid does it look now to not consider having Piazza as part of the Mets. My goodness, thank god for Nelson Doubleday or else what generational Met would have been associated with the 90's? The 60's and 70's had Seaver, the 80's Darryl, Keith, Doc, etc, even the 2000's had Reyes and Wright.
          :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
          Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Piazza made me a Mets fan.

So...I either have Doubleday to credit or blame for that.

RIP. If there *is* a baseball heaven, it'd be nice if he could catch up with Kiner.
            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Mandrake- hope your father is on the mend.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                Mandrake you just brought back an unbelievable memory for me. I was living in Brooklyn and listening to game on the radio with my friends that Saturday night when Henderson hit that homer. Henderson was my favorite Met at the time. He became my favorite Met in 1977 when he hit a grand slam in the second game of double header against the Pirates - I was in the upper deck that day when Stevie Wonder hit the slam.

When Henderson hit that homer to beat the Giants I remember screaming in the street like I just lost my mind (not a far stretch). I remember running home to see if I could catch a replay.

I remember them being 42-42 and 4 games out of first that year also. They did the second half dive, but the first half ride was worth it. Especially coming off of 77,78,79.
                I remember this well - especially the .500 mark. Hendu!
                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                  Mandrake- hope your father is on the mend. If you have time since you started this thread could you correct the spelling of Nelson's last name?
                  Really??? A typo is that important ? Try saying something nice about Nelson Doubleday...that would be far more important than the spelling . Besides , I already sent a request to an admin to see if they can correct the missing "L" in the name....but thanks anyway for the heads up.

Comment

The typo has been corrected.
                    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Really??? A typo is that important ? Try saying something nice about Nelson Doubleday...that would be far more important than the spelling . Besides , I already sent a request to an admin to see if they can correct the missing "L" in the name....but thanks anyway for the heads up.
                      Well if you were a fan of another team who happened upon this thread wouldn't you wonder why a Met fan can't even spell a revered owner's name correctly?

Thanks for getting it corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                        Well if you were a fan of another team who happened upon this thread wouldn't you wonder why a Met fan can't even spell a revered owner's name correctly?

Thanks for getting it corrected.
                        LOL, revered. He's some guy 99.5% of baseball fans have never even heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                          LOL, revered. He's some guy 99.5% of baseball fans have never even heard of.
                          Unless if your favorite owner is the one who stole the team from Doubleday, or you were Met office shill. Then the spelling of Doubleday is firmly burnt into your memory.

Thank God for Jeff that Wilpon only has 6 letters - by the time he was in high school he was spelling his last name with no problem.

Comment

Three different owners. The first woman to own any MLB franchise, former minority owner of the NY Giants who tried to buy out Stoneham and keep the Jints in NYC. Every year Mrs Payson would ask Horace Stoneham "is this the season you trade me Willie Mays?". It took 10 years of pleading, but the Daily News finally could say "Say Hey, Willie coming to Shea" The next season the Mets won the pennant.

A generation later Nelson Doubleday brought Mike Piazza to NYC, reportedly over the objections of 'the crook'. That team became a contender and won a pennant in 2000.

A few years later, the current owner brought somebody else to Shea and the Mets. So as a fan, do you prefer Willie Mays (maybe the greatest all around player ever), Mike Piazza (maybe the best hitting catcher in MLB), or Uncle Bernie Madoff, (one of the biggest crooks in US history).roof:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X