X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven Matz

Almost seven years ago I posted this (in another thread, of course):

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    I think it's high time we had a single unified thread here discussing any and all things regarding the Mets farm system, and Mets Minor League Baseball.

This should be an ongoing discussion as I often find myself scouring the internet looking for updates and information on guys like Matz, Davis, Holt, etc. We should have a thread where we can post and share links and stats and updates.

I'll kick it off by asking about Steven Matz. Is he really any good, or did we just draft him because he's a local?

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?t...ent_id=4758483
    Matz has finally arrived and he's indeed good.

Thoughts?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Very good debut. I liked how he didn't crumble after the leadoff HR. When you add that he almost singlehandedly enabled the team to score more than their customary two runs and it is hard to not be a big fan. It is only one game, but better to be a great one than a meh one.

Comment

Almost seven years ago I posted this (in another thread, of course):

Matz has finally arrived and he's indeed good.

Thoughts?
      He's good and the local part is a perk, especially with an enthusiastic family. May make him harder to trade though.

Comment

Love this kid and find someone else to trade!

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
          Love this kid and find someone else to trade!
          Matt Harvey?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            Matt Harvey?
            Keep the big four and maybe Wheeler.

Comment

Keep the big four and maybe Wheeler.
              Good plan. I love the lineup this year. We can go all the way. Lets go Mets!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                Good plan. I love the lineup this year. We can go all the way. Lets go Mets!!!
                If Fred felt like sucking less obscene amounts of revenue out of the Mets/SNY the Mets could have some offense by the end of next week.

Fred just needs to agree to take on salaries other teams are tired of paying. Monfort wants to dump Tulo's salary. I'm sure there are other options. There's no need to give up one of the 5 starters.

Comment

If Fred felt like sucking less obscene amounts of revenue out of the Mets/SNY the Mets could have some offense by the end of next week.

Fred just needs to agree to take on salaries other teams are tired of paying. Monfort wants to dump Tulo's salary. I'm sure there are other options. There's no need to give up one of the 5 starters.

Amen. Or sign Cespedes as a free agent in November or Upton. Keep the excellent league minimum guys and spend on hitting.

Comment

Amen. Or sign Cespedes as a free agent in November or Upton. Keep the excellent league minimum guys and spend on hitting.
                    Average number of runs scored in the NL this year is about 4.04 a game. Average number the Mets give up is 3.67. If the Mets had a league average offense, game by game, their record would be much better. If they won all the games where they gave up 3 or less runs and split the games where they scored 4 they'd have a record of 45-37. Not sure if Baseball Reference has included today's game yet. That would be good for a virtual tie with the Nationals for first place.

Of course if Syndergaard and Matz started the season in Flushing the record would probably be better.

I've noted the lack of urgency to win for a while now. In fact I predicted it. The Wilpons' greed for every last penny while ignoring the bigger picture (at least where the Mets are concerned) is a scandal. It makes a mockery of fans that invest time and money in the team.

Niese really hasn't been terrible. With better defense behind him his record would look a lot better. Assuming what we've seen from Matz and Syndergaard continues the Mets might have the best starting five in baseball right now. I felt the Wilpons would go for it once the synergy of a good team could help them make money from the mall. Now that Willets West has been delayed or derailed I can see them punting next season as well.

As a matter of justice and civic responsibility I hope the mall doesn't happen. I also hope the handout of >$500 million in free land only vests if the mall moves forward. I haven't read the agreement or anything about it. If this real estate hustle fails there's a good chance the Wilpons sell. My guess is Fred and Saul's annual profits from the Mets/SNY are about 5% of current equity value. They can probably do better elsewhere. Hopefully the mall gets aborted, they cash out and we'll never hear from them again.

Comment

So you think your getting Tulo for someone other than one of the 5 starters?

I am not saying Tulo is the answer necessarily but he is going to cost - there are other teams that will take on Tulo's salary and not have the fan base think the sky is falling as the Mets would.

Comment

A couple of years ago, the Los Angeles Dodgers announced that they signed a $7 billion cable package. Immediately, the St Louis Cardinals brain trust met and discussed internally how they planned on competing with the Dodgers when the Red Birds only receive a paltry $14 Million per season. There was no panic in St Louis, and the Cardinals right now seem fine on the field. They actually beat LA in the NLDS last season and currently have the best record in MLB. Maybe long teerm there will be issues, but right now the Cardinals seem to be in the drivers seat.

Now, looking at all of the phenom Mets pitchers, the Mets staff is currently 5th in MLB with a team ERA of 3.34 That is impressive, and the NYC media is all over this. We are all glad that the Mets have so many young , fine pitchers. However, when I look at which team has the best ERA , those pesky St Louis Cardinals are at the very top with a team ERA of 2.59, and a record of 53 wins and 28 losses...which is a pace to win 106 games. The Chicago Cubs, a team noted to have young hitters - and not much pitching- have the 4th best ERA . The Pirates have the 2nd best ERA, and the Dodgers 3rd best.

Cardinals, Dodgers, Pirates, Cubs are all ahead of the Mets right now for the post season. In the wild card chase, the Mets are 5 behind the Cubs in the loss column, and 7 behind the Bucs.

Matz has been excellent in the two starts . Maybe he can become the ace of the staff. Maybe it is Matz, deGrom, Syndergarrd as the top 3 ? Imagine if Harvey is "only" the number 4 starter...that would be some incredible staff. However, it does not improve the Mets hitting, or eliminate the self imposed hard salary cap.

Back before some members of baseball fever were even alive, the Mets had an incredible staff of Seaver, Koosman, Gentry, Ryan, and a 20 year old phenom named Matlack. The Mets made 2 huge mistakes when they decided their anemic offense needed help. The decided to keep Gentry over Ryan, and they compounded this by trading Ryan for a washed up bum named Jim Fregosi. That would be the equivalent of 2015 dumping Harvey for Stephen Drew.

One of the starters not named Niese or Colon (or Gee..LOL) will have to go at some point , but they have to get the very best player available in a trade- even if they have a big salary. Todd Frazier is not coming to Queens for Colon or Niese.

I definitely would hold onto Matz and see how he does the next couple of years. Going back to the infamous Ryan for Fregosi trade, while nothing will change the fact that Fregosi was washed up, if the Mets did not make the mistake of choosing to keep a soon to be injured Gary Gentry over a soon to flourish Nolan Ryan, the trade would have been looked at as an even swap of flops.

The Angels wanted Gentry. The Mets chose to deal Ryan instead, and actually sweetened the pot to entice the Angels. If the Mets had traded Gentry , he ended up with only 12 career wins AFTER the Fregosi trade, so it would not have been the disaster that dealing Ryan became.
                        http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...tory-1.7089684

One of the Mets phenoms will have to go; Alderson will earn his money by deciding who stays, who goes, and what he gets back. Would anyone here deal Harvey for Todd Frazier? Matz for Frazier?

Comment

If the Mets are 5th in ERA with 2 mid season call ups and one pitcher recovering from TJS, one pitcher in his first full season, that bodes well for the immediate future.

Fix the part that's broken with better play from Duda, Flores and Cuddyer. Granderson and Lagares too.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                            A couple of years ago, the Los Angeles Dodgers announced that they signed a $7 billion cable package. Immediately, the St Louis Cardinals brain trust met and discussed internally how they planned on competing with the Dodgers when the Red Birds only receive a paltry $14 Million per season. There was no panic in St Louis, and the Cardinals right now seem fine on the field. They actually beat LA in the NLDS last season and currently have the best record in MLB. Maybe long teerm there will be issues, but right now the Cardinals seem to be in the drivers seat.

Now, looking at all of the phenom Mets pitchers, the Mets staff is currently 5th in MLB with a team ERA of 3.34 That is impressive, and the NYC media is all over this. We are all glad that the Mets have so many young , fine pitchers. However, when I look at which team has the best ERA , those pesky St Louis Cardinals are at the very top with a team ERA of 2.59, and a record of 53 wins and 28 losses...which is a pace to win 106 games. The Chicago Cubs, a team noted to have young hitters - and not much pitching- have the 4th best ERA . The Pirates have the 2nd best ERA, and the Dodgers 3rd best.

Cardinals, Dodgers, Pirates, Cubs are all ahead of the Mets right now for the post season. In the wild card chase, the Mets are 5 behind the Cubs in the loss column, and 7 behind the Bucs.

Matz has been excellent in the two starts . Maybe he can become the ace of the staff. Maybe it is Matz, deGrom, Syndergarrd as the top 3 ? Imagine if Harvey is "only" the number 4 starter...that would be some incredible staff. However, it does not improve the Mets hitting, or eliminate the self imposed hard salary cap.

Back before some members of baseball fever were even alive, the Mets had an incredible staff of Seaver, Koosman, Gentry, Ryan, and a 20 year old phenom named Matlack. The Mets made 2 huge mistakes when they decided their anemic offense needed help. The decided to keep Gentry over Ryan, and they compounded this by trading Ryan for a washed up bum named Jim Fregosi. That would be the equivalent of 2015 dumping Harvey for Stephen Drew.

One of the starters not named Niese or Colon (or Gee..LOL) will have to go at some point , but they have to get the very best player available in a trade- even if they have a big salary. Todd Frazier is not coming to Queens for Colon or Niese.

I definitely would hold onto Matz and see how he does the next couple of years. Going back to the infamous Ryan for Fregosi trade, while nothing will change the fact that Fregosi was washed up, if the Mets did not make the mistake of choosing to keep a soon to be injured Gary Gentry over a soon to flourish Nolan Ryan, the trade would have been looked at as an even swap of flops.

The Angels wanted Gentry. The Mets chose to deal Ryan instead, and actually sweetened the pot to entice the Angels. If the Mets had traded Gentry , he ended up with only 12 career wins AFTER the Fregosi trade, so it would not have been the disaster that dealing Ryan became.
                            http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...tory-1.7089684

One of the Mets phenoms will have to go; Alderson will earn his money by deciding who stays, who goes, and what he gets back. Would anyone here deal Harvey for Todd Frazier? Matz for Frazier?
                            Great post here. Although I am betting we disagree about the career of Nolan Ryan - I full agree with this post.

Some fans think and that includes this forum that the Mets are going to turn around the offense by dealing Niese. That is just not going to happen. Niese isnt bad but he is going to bring back an impact bat either.

Its going to take one of the young guns to bring somehthing back.

I proposed the two below trades in another thread

I figured I would put names to my trades

1) Niese/Familia/Tejda to Detroit for Jose Iglesias .754 OPS. Then we can forget about SS for a decade. Detroit needs a closer in the worst way, and another starter. Give them Tejada as a utility IF'er.
                            2) Syndergaard, Flores, and a minor leaguer to Cincy for Frazier.941 OPS. Noah is going to be a good pitcher, and Flores can play IF and will produce in Great American Ballpark. Frazier is local guy that is becoming a top player at 3rd.

Then the infield is Duda, Murphy, Iglesias, Frazier - Still have to live with a hideous OF, but cant do everything ....I guess.

The Reds said they arent trading Frazier. Everyone is tradeable -- find out what gets him here then make a decision.

Comment

If the Mets are 5th in ERA with 2 mid season call ups and one pitcher recovering from TJS, one pitcher in his first full season, that bodes well for the immediate future.

Fix the part that's broken with better play from Duda, Flores and Cuddyer. Granderson and Lagares too.
                              Oh.......so the Met hitters have to hit better to be a better hitting team? Well why didnt someone say so? I think someone just needs to tell the 5 hitters you mentioned above to hit better. Problem solved.

Unfortunately this is not the case. The basic problem is the Mets do not have good hitters, and there really is no way to fix that. They are what they are. When you look at the 5 names are you really shocked that they arent hitting?
                              Last edited by Paulypal; 07-06-2015, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X