Steven Matz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Might as well, that's the trend these days. You're nobody if you haven't had Tommy John surgery.
    I thought Matz already had TJ surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
      I thought Matz already had TJ surgery.
      Well, I guess he is somebody.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I wonder how many other pitchers have won 11 of their first 12 decisions in their career.

The fact that he has 12 decisions in 14 starts (86%) is pretty unusual too in this day and age (albeit it's a small sample size).

His young rotation mates' percentages:

DeGrom - 26 decisions in 37 GS (69.5%)
        Harvey - 53 decisions in 75 GS (70.7%)
        Syndergaard - 23 decisions in 33 starts (69.7%)

Some other randomly selected star pitchers:

Kershaw - 70.6%
        Felix H. - 73.2%
        Greinke - 73.0%
        Scherzer - 72.6%
        Lincecum - 73.2%
        Cain - 67.3%
        Hamels - 68.9%
        Ceuto - 73.7%

Of all active pitchers with at least 100 decisions, the highest percentage is none other than Bartolo Colon at 81.9%
        Last edited by GiambiJuice; 05-25-2016, 03:52 PM.
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
          I wonder how many other pitchers have won 11 of their first 12 decisions in their career.

The fact that he has 12 decisions in 14 starts (86%) is highly unusual in this day and age (albeit it's a small sample size)
          This kid was drafted in 2009.

The Mets organization deserves kudos for staying with him. They may REALLY have something here.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
            This kid was drafted in 2009.

The Mets organization deserves kudos for staying with him. They may REALLY have something here.
            I agree. For his young age he actually looks like a pitcher and not just a thrower getting by on stuff alone. He seems to think the game well.

The amazing thing is I thought you needed a really cool nick name, and have people come to the park dressed up in costume when you pitched if you were really something. I guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
              I agree. For his young age he actually looks like a pitcher and not just a thrower getting by on stuff alone. He seems to think the game well.

The amazing thing is I thought you needed a really cool nick name, and have people come to the park dressed up in costume when you pitched if you were really something. I guess not.
              There is room for blandness, even in NY.

Comment

Guess who isn't pitching tonight ? Shoulder discomfort when he throws a curveball . Not related to the elbow issue .
                Who's next ? Syndergaard or deGrom ?

Comment

Yes, I admit it. I picked the Mets to win 100 games and runaway in the east. I was wro...wro...wro... not exactly right as the Fonz used to say.

On the other hand , I have been right about the way the Mets seem to treat their phenom Hall-of-Fame-after -obe-season phenoms.

Harvey (whose agent was 100% right about innings counts, and fans who may deny it blasted him). Wheeler (the can't miss ACE of the Mets who has been nearly traded twice while being on the DL for 2 years)...and now Matz.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2761091

Just when the Mets felt like things were going their way, getting back Yoenis Cespedes and Noah Syndergaard pitching like an ace, the other shoe dropped.

While team doctors found no structural damage to his shoulder, Steven Matz is reportedly headed to the disabled list with tightness in his left shoulder.

Robert Gsellman was called up from Triple-A to take his roster spot, but there was no indication who would make Matz’s next scheduled start Thursday. Terry Collins indicated that Seth Lugo, who pitched solidly in a spot start for Matz Friday night, would make the next one if Matz was unable to. Gsellman is considered the Mets' next top pitching prospect

Comment

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2772265

Steven Matz has pitched through discomfort for most of this season. He has taken shots of painkillers just to go out on the mound with a significant bone spur in his left elbow. And with just over a month remaining in the Mets’ regular season, Matz said he wants to get through the latest issue with his shoulder and pitch again this season.

The rookie was scratched from his scheduled start on Thursday because of concern about his shoulder discomfort, but he is not giving up hope on helping the Mets in their playoff chase.

“Yeah, I believe so,” he said when asked if he thinks he’ll pitch again this season. “I think it’s a day-to-day thing. The doctor believes I can pitch again with the results and MRI.”

But maybe that’s not the smart way to go for the young and talented lefthander. Maybe he should shut it down this season to avoid risk of an even more damaging injury.

I don't read the Daily News, and I don't like the Daily News, but I do agree with this article online.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X