Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoenis Cespedes

Its about time he got his own thread.

Has there been a more valuable player in all of baseball since the trade deadline? I dont think so.

Although I would be hesitant to pay him the money he is going to ask for because there I believe he could be an issue down the road. The Mets made a GREAT move getting him during his Free Agent audition.

Sometimes the best trade you make is the one you don't make. It's an ancient cliché, but the Mets killed the Wilmer Flores/Carlos Gomez trade at the last minute, and went after Yoenis Cespedes instead. This woke up Flores, who is playing much better ever since. Gomez went to the Astros, where he's sporting an OPS+ of 62 in 33 games, and might as well be in the Witness Protection Program for all you hear about him. Cespedes, meantime, is turning into one of the best trade-deadline aquisitions ever.

He's going to get a boatload of money from somebody. I wish it was the Mets, but it's not likely.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Yoenis was awesome at our All Star Game in the HR Derby but of course that wasn't real pitching.
      I've wanted him on the Mets ever since. If it's only for three months we need to appreciate what we are seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
        Yoenis was awesome at our All Star Game in the HR Derby but of course that wasn't real pitching.
        I've wanted him on the Mets ever since. If it's only for three months we need to appreciate what we are seeing.
        I was there that night for the HR Derby. The ball looked like a golf ball on some his shots.

He is playing the best baseball of his career right now.

Comment

Seriously is there a more wow! player at everything than this guy who has played on the Mets, while they played on the Mets. Straw is the last one for me. This guy is electric on the bases, not fast like Ryes, but just very sharp. The ball just seems to explode off his bat. The arm is fantastic. He strikes me as having fantastic almost innate instincts. That being said, he is not an a-1 flyball tracker, he has made erratic throws and a few more walks would boost the bottom line. But I will be very PO'd to see him go, because this is a guy that can bat in the middle of any order for the remainder of the decade.

Comment

Love the Scherzer balk when he was bouncing around second base.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
              Seriously is there a more wow! player at everything than this guy who has played on the Mets, while they played on the Mets. Straw is the last one for me. This guy is electric on the bases, not fast like Ryes, but just very sharp. The ball just seems to explode off his bat. The arm is fantastic. He strikes me as having fantastic almost innate instincts. That being said, he is not an a-1 flyball tracker, he has made erratic throws and a few more walks would boost the bottom line. But I will be very PO'd to see him go, because this is a guy that can bat in the middle of any order for the remainder of the decade.
              The Mets got him at the perfect time. This is his free agency audition, and the Mets are reaping the benefits of it.

He is playing for a huge contract. One that I doubt the Mets give him. I cant imagine the Mets giving him $20-25 million per year for 7-10 years. At age 26 he is going to sign one of those types of contracts.

I agree on Strawberry - he was the last player for me as well.

Comment

The fans have responded to his presence by flocking to games.... That alone should justify having the $$ for paying him. He is a joy to watch and well worth the $ and schlep to go to Citifield to see live and tune one the games on TV radio. He is handling NYC awesomely so far and he can only get better with age.

Hopefully Aldy's moneball nonsense do not impede this from the Mets getting a potential hall of famer on their team in the years to come. He is everything Alex Ochoa and Alex Escobar were supposed to be...
                :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  The Mets got him at the perfect time. This is his free agency audition, and the Mets are reaping the benefits of it.

He is playing for a huge contract. One that I doubt the Mets give him. I cant imagine the Mets giving him $20-25 million per year for 7-10 years. At age 26 he is going to sign one of those types of contracts.

I agree on Strawberry - he was the last player for me as well.
                  Pauly- he's 30 next month. No one will give a 30 year old more than 6 years hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                    Pauly- he's 30 next month. No one will give a 30 year old more than 6 years hopefully.
                    Yes he is. My bad. I looked at his debut age on his Baseball Reference page. I thought 26 was too young.

I agree - no more than 6 years but that could be $120-150 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      Yes he is. My bad. I looked at his debut age on his Baseball Reference page. I thought 26 was too young.

I agree - no more than 6 years but that could be $120-150 million.
                      Before the trade deadline, I said the Mets need a "Donn Clendennon" type of impact hitter to give them a shot at a 1969 type of miracle run. Cespedes has exceeded that !!!!

But, I really can't see the Mets giving out another contract the size and length of David Wright's. Cespedes could end up being this year's Pablo Sandoval.

Could the banged up Giants have used Pablo this year ? Of course, with about 1/4 of the team always on the DL, the Giants are now dead.. Did the Red Sox benefit from signing Sandoval...hell no ! And yet, Sandoval says it wasn't about the money. I call BS ! It is ALWAYS about the money !

"I knew early in spring training last year I was going to leave. They didn't respect my agent. Contract talks, everything. The way Brian Sabean (Giants general manager) talked to my agent."...
                      "The Giants made a good offer, but I didn't want to take it. I got five years (and $95 million) from Boston. I left money on the table in San Francisco... It is not about money. It is about how you treat the player."

BS Pablo, The Giants reportedly offered Sandoval a three-year $40 million extension. There's a $55 million dollar difference there, buddy. Try being honest !

IMHO, Cespedes says he wants to stay in Queens. He said the same thing about 3 other teams in the past 2 years. It's a "I want to stay but I want a mega contract" mentality. If the Mets don't give him one, he will say they didn't respect him.

For me, let him be the WS MVP and then make a generous but reasonable in years offer. For his career he seems to play about 140 games, and even with this incredible surge on the Mets, he still is only a .272 career hitter. He was going to be a difference maker in Oakland, Detroit, and Boston too. I want to see way more than a hot 2-3 month run before they tie up another David Wright contract.

In another thread, I said Harvey can't be blamed on Sandy or even Fred. It's a MENTALITY where players look around and don't want to wait to earn super big money. They want the instant gratification of a $200 million dollar contract. If the Mets could somehow send Harvey to the Dodgers, I doubt he still wouldn't have self-centered demands. Rarely does a change of teams make someone suddenly "happy". Anyone recall when Strawberry was always threatening/complaining that he was going home to Los Angeles? Well, that move didn't do anything for him . Just ask Lasorda.

I wouldn't be shocked if Cespedes has a great play off run, talks how much he loves playing before the Mets fans......and then signs with the Yankees for $120 million, And of course, it won't be "about the money". Somebody along the way disrespected his agent.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                        Before the trade deadline, I said the Mets need a "Donn Clendennon" type of impact hitter to give them a shot at a 1969 type of miracle run. Cespedes has exceeded that !!!!

But, I really can't see the Mets giving out another contract the size and length of David Wright's. Cespedes could end up being this year's Pablo Sandoval.

Could the banged up Giants have used Pablo this year ? Of course, with about 1/4 of the team always on the DL, the Giants are now dead.. Did the Red Sox benefit from signing Sandoval...hell no ! And yet, Sandoval says it wasn't about the money. I call BS ! It is ALWAYS about the money !

"I knew early in spring training last year I was going to leave. They didn't respect my agent. Contract talks, everything. The way Brian Sabean (Giants general manager) talked to my agent."...
                        "The Giants made a good offer, but I didn't want to take it. I got five years (and $95 million) from Boston. I left money on the table in San Francisco... It is not about money. It is about how you treat the player."

BS Pablo, The Giants reportedly offered Sandoval a three-year $40 million extension. There's a $55 million dollar difference there, buddy. Try being honest !

IMHO, Cespedes says he wants to stay in Queens. He said the same thing about 3 other teams in the past 2 years. It's a "I want to stay but I want a mega contract" mentality. If the Mets don't give him one, he will say they didn't respect him.

For me, let him be the WS MVP and then make a generous but reasonable in years offer. For his career he seems to play about 140 games, and even with this incredible surge on the Mets, he still is only a .272 career hitter. He was going to be a difference maker in Oakland, Detroit, and Boston too. I want to see way more than a hot 2-3 month run before they tie up another David Wright contract.

In another thread, I said Harvey can't be blamed on Sandy or even Fred. It's a MENTALITY where players look around and don't want to wait to earn super big money. They want the instant gratification of a $200 million dollar contract. If the Mets could somehow send Harvey to the Dodgers, I doubt he still wouldn't have self-centered demands. Rarely does a change of teams make someone suddenly "happy". Anyone recall when Strawberry was always threatening/complaining that he was going home to Los Angeles? Well, that move didn't do anything for him . Just ask Lasorda.

I wouldn't be shocked if Cespedes has a great play off run, talks how much he loves playing before the Mets fans......and then signs with the Yankees for $120 million, And of course, it won't be "about the money". Somebody along the way disrespected his agent.
                        I am not sure if I want Cespedes at big years for big dollars despite what he is doing now. This isnt what he has been since he has been in the league, and to be honest I see a little prima donna in him that once your locked into that contract...........your locked in. I would like to have him because he is a good player, but I am also a little worried about a long term commitment with him.

I keep saying "we are reaping the benefits of his free agent audition" for that exact reason. He is in a big market fully on display in the heat of a pennant race. He has taken an offensively dead team and they have become a very good offensive team basically as the lone big addition. His play has been off the charts in all areas and like you said far exceeded anything that could have been expected.

With that said I still would proceed with caution when talking long term.

Comment

Now there's a chance with him if true that his contract has been amended.

Comment

From his teammate Kelly Johnson:

"When guys with this much talent get on these rolls, it’s unbelievable. So much fun to watch. It really does remind you of some throwback player, like your dad used to tell you about Clemente or Mantle."

Guys like this make me want to go back to Citifield....
                            :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                            Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Cespedes is having a career 2nd half, but I have red flags about a guy who has been on 4 teams since July 31, 2014. That day he was traded from Oakland to Boston. On Dec 11,2014 he was traded from Boston to Detroit. On July 31, 2015 he was traded from Detroit to the Mets. 4 teams in 365 days.

from Nov 2014:
                              Bill Madden of the Daily News writes that Cespedes' signing with the Roc Nation agency may be the final straw that prompts the Sox to trade him away while they can, and not run the risk of losing him via free agency.The fear is that Cespedes' asking price is going to rise with the new agency much like it did for Robinson Cano when he signed with Roc Nation and signed a massive deal with the Mariners.
                              Perhaps if Red Sox coaches were big fans of Cespedes, they'd try to get a deal done, but the report, quoting a Red Sox insider, also says “[Cespedes] marches to his own drum and the coaches all hate him."

From July 31 2014:
                              There are some scouts who feel his power numbers and raw ability may mask some of his flaws; one scout told me that as fun as Cespedes may be to watch, there are holes in his swing, he is injury prone, makes mistakes in the outfield and he hasn’t gotten on base consistently enough the past two seasons.
                              In addition, it does not sound as if the A’s believe they would have been able to sign Cespedes to an extension beyond next year, though there never were very extensive talks about that.

From the Detroit news ...after the trade to the Mets:

Yoenis Cespedes went 0-for-3 Saturday night in his debut for the Mets, but before the game, he told ESPN New York he wasn’t happy to leave the Tigers in Friday’s trade.
                              “I don’t think that was a very smart move,” Cespedes told an interpreter when asked about the trade from the Tigers. “The team is only three games out of the wild card, and there is still a lot of baseball to be played — about 60 games. I don’t think it was a good decision to throw in the towel this early.”
                              Cespedes will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and there have been reports he would like to return to the Tigers

He's having a great second half of the season, but I am not sold on him just yet as a long term Met.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X