No announcement yet.

Yoenis Cespedes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe the A's can just pack up Cespedes and take him with them on their way out of town. This team's not going anywhere with or without him. Sonny Gray for Cespedes might be doable.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
      Maybe the A's can just pack up Cespedes and take him with them on their way out of town. This team's not going anywhere with or without him. Sonny Gray for Cespedes might be doable.
      The Mets would have to eat almost that whole albatross like contract

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

The Mets would have to eat almost that whole albatross like contract
        I know, just wishful thinking. It's hard to root for guys on your team when you know they don't want to be there. First Cabrera, and now Cespedes, like rats abandoning a sinking ship.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
          Cespedes is having a career 2nd half, but I have red flags about a guy who has been on 4 teams since July 31, 2014. That day he was traded from Oakland to Boston. On Dec 11,2014 he was traded from Boston to Detroit. On July 31, 2015 he was traded from Detroit to the Mets. 4 teams in 365 days.

from Nov 2014:
          Bill Madden of the Daily News writes that Cespedes' signing with the Roc Nation agency may be the final straw that prompts the Sox to trade him away while they can, and not run the risk of losing him via free agency.The fear is that Cespedes' asking price is going to rise with the new agency much like it did for Robinson Cano when he signed with Roc Nation and signed a massive deal with the Mariners.
          Perhaps if Red Sox coaches were big fans of Cespedes, they'd try to get a deal done, but the report, quoting a Red Sox insider, also says “[Cespedes] marches to his own drum and the coaches all hate him."

From July 31 2014:
          There are some scouts who feel his power numbers and raw ability may mask some of his flaws; one scout told me that as fun as Cespedes may be to watch, there are holes in his swing, he is injury prone, makes mistakes in the outfield and he hasn’t gotten on base consistently enough the past two seasons.
          In addition, it does not sound as if the A’s believe they would have been able to sign Cespedes to an extension beyond next year, though there never were very extensive talks about that.

From the Detroit news ...after the trade to the Mets:

Yoenis Cespedes went 0-for-3 Saturday night in his debut for the Mets, but before the game, he told ESPN New York he wasn’t happy to leave the Tigers in Friday’s trade.
          “I don’t think that was a very smart move,” Cespedes told an interpreter when asked about the trade from the Tigers. “The team is only three games out of the wild card, and there is still a lot of baseball to be played — about 60 games. I don’t think it was a good decision to throw in the towel this early.”
          Cespedes will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and there have been reports he would like to return to the Tigers

He's having a great second half of the season, but I am not sold on him just yet as a long term Met.

This is about how I felt back during his epic 6 week run in 2015. Later on I felt that I was wrong, and that the Mets needed his bat in the line up. Looking back on these posts -after yesterday's horror show in ;left field - wonder if Cespedes will like playing on a losing team ? To my thinking, he looked like he didn't want to be at Citi Field yesterday. This is the same guy who wants to eturn to Oakland someday ?

Comment

This is about how I felt back during his epic 6 week run in 2015. Later on I felt that I was wrong, and that the Mets needed his bat in the line up. Looking back on these posts -after yesterday's horror show in ;left field - wonder if Cespedes will like playing on a losing team ? To my thinking, he looked like he didn't want to be at Citi Field yesterday. This is the same guy who wants to eturn to Oakland someday ?
            Although I felt the Mets almost had to sign him - we all knew the risks of signing Cespedes. Like many other risky propositions on this team its seems like a losing chance was taken.

Comment

• Well, Cespedes is done for the year. I wonder if his injury will keep him from the golf course. On a bright note, we don't have to listen to Gary Cohen tonight.

Comment

• Cespedes ??? Hmm loved how he carried us and as he goes so do the Mets.. but the injuries are alarming, He cant stay healthy, yes i admit i was looking to trade him before deadline, he was healthy and playing, probably could have gotten back alot ... but i wont mind him in our lineup next year either so who knows !!!

Comment

Cespedes is having a career 2nd half, but I have red flags about a guy who has been on 4 teams since July 31, 2014. That day he was traded from Oakland to Boston. On Dec 11,2014 he was traded from Boston to Detroit. On July 31, 2015 he was traded from Detroit to the Mets. 4 teams in 365 days.

from Nov 2014:
                  Bill Madden of the Daily News writes that Cespedes' signing with the Roc Nation agency may be the final straw that prompts the Sox to trade him away while they can, and not run the risk of losing him via free agency.The fear is that Cespedes' asking price is going to rise with the new agency much like it did for Robinson Cano when he signed with Roc Nation and signed a massive deal with the Mariners.
                  Perhaps if Red Sox coaches were big fans of Cespedes, they'd try to get a deal done, but the report, quoting a Red Sox insider, also says “[Cespedes] marches to his own drum and the coaches all hate him."

From July 31 2014:
                  There are some scouts who feel his power numbers and raw ability may mask some of his flaws; one scout told me that as fun as Cespedes may be to watch, there are holes in his swing, he is injury prone, makes mistakes in the outfield and he hasn’t gotten on base consistently enough the past two seasons.
                  In addition, it does not sound as if the A’s believe they would have been able to sign Cespedes to an extension beyond next year, though there never were very extensive talks about that.

From the Detroit news ...after the trade to the Mets:

Yoenis Cespedes went 0-for-3 Saturday night in his debut for the Mets, but before the game, he told ESPN New York he wasn’t happy to leave the Tigers in Friday’s trade.
                  “I don’t think that was a very smart move,” Cespedes told an interpreter when asked about the trade from the Tigers. “The team is only three games out of the wild card, and there is still a lot of baseball to be played — about 60 games. I don’t think it was a good decision to throw in the towel this early.”
                  Cespedes will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and there have been reports he would like to return to the Tigers

He's having a great second half of the season, but I am not sold on him just yet as a long term Met.
                  Just looking at some old posts .... this was my original opinion - later I accepted that they signed him since they had nothing else .

for those that had a "bromance" with this frequent flyer on the DL , any thoughts about Sandy Anderson's big contract signing now ?

Comment

Just looking at some old posts .... this was my original opinion - later I accepted that they signed him since they had nothing else .

for those that had a "bromance" with this frequent flyer on the DL , any thoughts about Sandy Anderson's big contract signing now ?
                    When the Mets won the pennant in 2015, the Wilpons squandered the good will almost immediately. Instead of looking to exploit a window of contention by fortifying the team, they looked to pinch pennies harder. They signed De Aza to be the starting center fielder. They had no intention of re-signing Cespedes. Of course Cespedes had been key in the post-season drive.

At this point, Mets fans have been conditioned to expect garbage and third rate players. But potentially losing the #3 and #4 hole hitters to the Nationals created an outcry. The Wilpons were under fire and had to act, so they re-signed Cespedes. When healthy, he's performed well. The Mets signed Jay Bruce to hopefully give themselves an out in 2016, but that didn't work very well. He flopped, so they were painted into a corner where they had to re-sign Cespedes again.

On this team, every high priced signing is run into the ground; small injuries become chronic, resulting in extended DL stays. So it appears with Cespedes' leg. Were Bay, Santana and Wright malingerers? I don't know what the story on Cespedes' leg is, but it's not hard to believe this injury, like so many others, has been mishandled.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• https://nypost.com/2018/06/30/mets-o...forgotten-man/

MIAMI — This is crystal clear. These Mets are no longer Yo’s team.

The Mets came to Marlins Park on Friday and Yoenis Cespedes, who is rehabbing two hours north up Interstate 95 in Port St. Lucie, was not a visitor.

“He is not going to join us here in Miami, we thought it would hinder his ability in his rehab to come here for a couple of days,’’ Mickey Callaway said before the Mets were hammered by Derek Jeter’s tear-it-down Marlins, 8-2, giving Miami more wins than the sad, sad Mets. “We’re going to keep him there in Port St. Lucie to continue what we’ve been doing.’’

Cespedes could have come down on his own to check in with his suffering teammates, of course, but that did not happen. When the Mets again will see Cespedes as a player is anyone’s guess, but he has not yet begun a running program.

A message is being delivered to Cespedes: We’ll see you when you are ready to play.

Cespedes appears in no hurry to return, especially to a team with a 32-47 record. This situation could continue all summer.

From all appearances, the Mets are no longer going to bend over backwards to keep Cespedes happy. He will be treated more like everyone else on the roster. The Mets are on the hook financially to Cespedes: $29 million this season, $29 million next season and $29.5 million in 2020.Cespedes played 81 games in 2017 because of a variety of leg injuries. He has been limited to 37 games this season and was put on the disabled list May 16 with a “mild strain” of the right hip flexor.
                      Cespedes has to find a way to get himself back on the field.

You don’t hear any comments from the Mets like: “When we get Ces back.’’ That was a constant refrain in the past.

Now, it’s more like Ces Who?

It will be fascinating to see how Cespedes responds to all this. Don’t forget Cespedes has a no-trade clause, so this could get ugly.

“You have to be careful who you give your money to,’’ said one scout at the game about Cespedes.

The Mets will send Noah Syndergaard, who threw off a mound Friday, and David Wright, who took ground balls at third base and did light throwing from 90 feet, to Port St. Lucie after the series.

“We were talking through it and to pull [Cespedes] away from his rehab to do it here with all the other guys that we have in town would be tough to get the rehab he needs,’’ Callaway said. Asked if Cespedes wanted to come down, Callaway said, “We didn’t give him an option after we talked through it.’’

As for Cespedes’ mindset regarding the injury, Callaway said, “All along he has expressed frustration. He did everything he possibly could this winter to stay healthy and it didn’t happen for him.’’
                      Asked if Cespedes, 32, could be back before the All-Star break, Callaway said: “I can’t speculate. We’re just going day-to-day.’’

Don’t hold your breath.

Surgery has not been discussed. Who knows when Cespedes will return?

“They’re doing some stretching type stuff with a [physical therapist],’’ Callaway said of Cespedes’ rehab.

The last time the Mets were at Marlins Park, they swept Miami to go to 10-1. Two days later at Citi Field, they beat the Brewers to move to 11-1, but that was all fool’s gold. Since that time, the Mets are 21-46.

In that first series at Marlins Park, Cespedes went 1-for-12. In his 31 games played this season, Cespedes has posted a slash line of .255/.316/.474, a far cry from 2015 when he s came over in a trade from the Tigers and played 57 games, posting a .287/.337/.604 slash line, as the Mets went to the World Series.

One of the Mets’ Three Tenors, Omar Minaya, is on the trip.

Asked if he will speak to Cespedes, Minaya told The Post: “If he’s here I will talk to him. If not, I won’t.’’

By the way, where is all of the bromance stuff we used to read about this guy on baseball fever?

Comment

https://nypost.com/2018/06/30/mets-o...forgotten-man/

The Mets came to Marlins Park on Friday and Yoenis Cespedes, who is rehabbing two hours north up Interstate 95 in Port St. Lucie, was not a visitor.

“He is not going to join us here in Miami, we thought it would hinder his ability in his rehab to come here for a couple of days,’’ Mickey Callaway said before the Mets were hammered by Derek Jeter’s tear-it-down Marlins, 8-2, giving Miami more wins than the sad, sad Mets. “We’re going to keep him there in Port St. Lucie to continue what we’ve been doing.’’

Cespedes could have come down on his own to check in with his suffering teammates, of course, but that did not happen. When the Mets again will see Cespedes as a player is anyone’s guess, but he has not yet begun a running program.

A message is being delivered to Cespedes: We’ll see you when you are ready to play.

Cespedes appears in no hurry to return, especially to a team with a 32-47 record. This situation could continue all summer.

From all appearances, the Mets are no longer going to bend over backwards to keep Cespedes happy. He will be treated more like everyone else on the roster. The Mets are on the hook financially to Cespedes: $29 million this season, $29 million next season and $29.5 million in 2020.Cespedes played 81 games in 2017 because of a variety of leg injuries. He has been limited to 37 games this season and was put on the disabled list May 16 with a “mild strain” of the right hip flexor.

You don’t hear any comments from the Mets like: “When we get Ces back.’’ That was a constant refrain in the past.

It will be fascinating to see how Cespedes responds to all this. Don’t forget Cespedes has a no-trade clause, so this could get ugly.

“You have to be careful who you give your money to,’’ said one scout at the game about Cespedes.

The Mets will send Noah Syndergaard, who threw off a mound Friday, and David Wright, who took ground balls at third base and did light throwing from 90 feet, to Port St. Lucie after the series.

“We were talking through it and to pull [Cespedes] away from his rehab to do it here with all the other guys that we have in town would be tough to get the rehab he needs,’’ Callaway said. Asked if Cespedes wanted to come down, Callaway said, “We didn’t give him an option after we talked through it.’’

As for Cespedes’ mindset regarding the injury, Callaway said, “All along he has expressed frustration. He did everything he possibly could this winter to stay healthy and it didn’t happen for him.’’
                        Asked if Cespedes, 32, could be back before the All-Star break, Callaway said: “I can’t speculate. We’re just going day-to-day.’’

Don’t hold your breath.

“They’re doing some stretching type stuff with a [physical therapist],’’ Callaway said of Cespedes’ rehab.

The last time the Mets were at Marlins Park, they swept Miami to go to 10-1. Two days later at Citi Field, they beat the Brewers to move to 11-1, but that was all fool’s gold. Since that time, the Mets are 21-46.

In that first series at Marlins Park, Cespedes went 1-for-12. In his 31 games played this season, Cespedes has posted a slash line of .255/.316/.474, a far cry from 2015 when he s came over in a trade from the Tigers and played 57 games, posting a .287/.337/.604 slash line, as the Mets went to the World Series.

Asked if he will speak to Cespedes, Minaya told The Post: “If he’s here I will talk to him. If not, I won’t.’’

By the way, where is all of the bromance stuff we used to read about this guy on baseball fever?
                        A disaster signing.

I think they had to attempt to sign him but this has been a disaster.

Mandrake you nailed this one from day 1.

Comment

https://nypost.com/2018/06/30/mets-o...forgotten-man/

Don’t hold your breath.

Thing is, I never had much of a "bromance" with Cespedes. I preferred him over Fred's other option, De Aza. Still, I don't think I made particularly fawning posts about him. I thought it was more important to retain Murphy.

His agents played things perfectly. They got an offer from the Nats, and bent Fred over a barrel. National media was writing articles about what a cheap bum Fred was. It was a reactive signing, but those are the only kind Fred ever makes.

Maybe he's really hurt. Strange things happen to players here: broken backs, spinal stenosis, the Ike Davis saga, Nimmo's lung spontaneously collapsed last season. I'm sure it was a mistake to play Cespedes when he could hardly walk. Nobody's adequately explained what the problem here is.

Maybe Cespedes finds the team depressing and doesn't really want to be around it. Who knows?

I guess I don't really care enough to be bothered anymore. They're not going to win with him or without him. Fred doesn't care much about winning or losing, but he's probably seething about getting screwed. That's the only Mets related thought that's made me smile in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Thing is, I never had much of a "bromance" with Cespedes. I preferred him over Fred's other option, De Aza. Still, I don't think I made particularly fawning posts about him. I thought it was more important to retain Murphy.

His agents played things perfectly. They got an offer from the Nats, and bent Fred over a barrel. National media was writing articles about what a cheap bum Fred was. It was a reactive signing, but those are the only kind Fred ever makes.

Maybe he's really hurt. Strange things happen to players here: broken backs, spinal stenosis, the Ike Davis saga, Nimmo's lung spontaneously collapsed last season. I'm sure it was a mistake to play Cespedes when he could hardly walk. Nobody's adequately explained what the problem here is.

Maybe Cespedes finds the team depressing and doesn't really want to be around it. Who knows?

I guess I don't really care enough to be bothered anymore. They're not going to win with him or without him. Fred doesn't care much about winning or losing, but he's probably seething about getting screwed. That's the only Mets related thought that's made me smile in a while.
                            Moved to Season Thread
                            Last edited by mandrake; 07-24-2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Moved to Season Thread
                              Why move posts about Cespedes to the season thread? It's nice to have dedicated player threads. You can read them and see how perceptions change and evolve about players over their Mets careers, and beyond.

You'll have to admit now: Cespedes wasn't a prima donna who was dogging it. He was another victim of the Mets/Jeff Wilpon injury protocol, as I suspected.

The astonishing thing is the Coupons knew about the chronic problem and signed him anyway. They were so cheap and stupid, they backed themselves into a corner where they were so resistant to spending a penny on the defending NL champs, national media and the fan base began hammering them hard. Cespedes was a reactive signing.

Since the Wilpons have already indicated they won't reinvest any of Cespedes' insurance money on payroll, I hope the insurance company fights them tooth and nail on paying for his pre-existing condition. I hope Fred, Jeff and Saul have to take that loss.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X