Is Don Mattingly kidding us or what???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Hey, I rode a short bus to kindergarten. I was the only nine year old there.
    PS 31 Oyster Bay? Wait sorry...Erster Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal
      David Wright slid well before the bag on this play but was outside the bag as the infielder was on the CF side of 2nd. He was called out because he couldnt touch 2nd base but his slide was legit not high and without intent to injure.
      Nothing but your opinions. The umps thought otherwise - double play.

Comment

Never mind.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
          Mattingly was a great player for a 5 year period so I wont knock him for that. Keith was better with the glove for sure, but Mattingly was a superior hitter. I just think his approach to defending his guy was absurd.

Using David Wright as an example was ridiculous. If David Wright did do that I would have started a thread on what a douche David Wright is, but he didnt. I just dont see any room for that type of "slide", and I am using the term slide really loosely.
          I know the back of both of their baseball cards. I will take Keith any day, he was a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
            Utley's feet were on the ground.
            no they weren't. his shin hits the ground less than a foot from the base and the SS. The vids you posted above show the slides 3-5 feet before the fielder, not nearly the same, it was a late and high slide.

Comment

I have no issue with a clean hard slide to break up a DP, but what Utley did was not clean, it was late, MLB says it was late. The fact that the Umpire did judge it at the time is just hid opinion.... it sucks that it hurt the outcome of the game.

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
              Yeah, David Wright would never do such a thing...

5/24/2005: "Wright thought his slide at second base had forced a wide throw to first, denied the Braves an inning-ending, 3-6-1 double play and left the Mets in position to win. But second base umpire Jeff Nelson ruled Wright had "intentionally interfered with the [shortstop, Rafael Furcal] in the act of turning a double play" and awarded the Braves two outs. The call irked the Met as much as the loss would. Wright erupted as he disputed it with Nelson, prompting his first ejection since he was in Class A. And the other Mets acted stunned as the Braves returned to their dugout. "I've seen a lot of worse slides," manager Willie Randolph would say later. "You see that call usually when the shortstop gets flipped. But David never touched him. He put pressure on him, but he just threw it away. "We're not playing footsie ball. We teach hard, aggressive baseball. I thought it was an unnecesary call.""
              http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/24/sp...t-of-line.html

called out for being out of the baseline...

only image I could find.... doesn't look at all the same

Comment

Utley's feet were on the ground.
                Originally posted by stkjock View Post
                no they weren't.
                You might want to clean your glasses or something.
                20151011-Utley-Tejads.jpg

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/24/sp...t-of-line.html

called out for being out of the baseline...
                  Those are merely the biased words of a NY sportswriter. The umpire (Nelson) said: "Wright intentionally interfered with the second baseman. It's automatic." Nice try.

Comment

oh, now I see you're a Nats guy... no wonder......... since you don't site a source....

non NY writer:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/[email protected]

But second base umpire Jeff Nelson signaled a double play because of Wright's wide slide into Furcal. Television replays backed up the call, showing the runner sliding late and at least three feet wide of the bag in an attempt to disrupt Furcal.

his toes are on the ground... not his feet, so maybe you want to check your anatomy knowledge.

20151011-Utley-Tejads.jpg
                    Last edited by stkjock; 10-13-2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

his toes are on the ground... not his feet, so maybe you want to check your anatomy knowledge.
                      http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/toe
                      toe: one of the five separate parts at the end of your foot

Comment

oh, now I see you're a Nats guy... no wonder.
                        Wrong again. I hate the Nats. I like the GIF.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X