No matter what, Im still proud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No matter what, Im still proud

Hey all, been a while since Ive posted here. Had ALOT going on in my life, all of it good! Hope you are all well, and enjoying this run. This season has been greater than all of our wildest dreams. If you had said, in April that the Mets would be playing a Game 5 in the WS with Harvey on the bump, Im sure you would all sign up for that in a second. Many of us pointed to 2016 as the year we could contend. The Mets pushed the date up a year. With this rotation the Mets could easily contend for the next 5 years. Harvey, deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, and Matz. think about that...Also remember Montero is also still waiting. Obviously the bullpen needs work, especially with the 8th inning setup man spot. Im assuming Cespedas and Murphy will both walk, and honestly Im ok with that. Having said all of that, Im still very proud of this team. They far exceeded all of our wildest expectations. Theres still at least one game to be played. Lets root our butts off and pray for another miracle! LETS GO METS!!!!
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Yep.

After winning it all (which still obviously falls into this coming category) the BEST THING a sports franchise can offer its fans is a good "Remember This for Life" moment.

And we got a few of those this year.

No one who watched will ever forget the Wilmer Flores Deal That Wasn't, the tears, and then his walk-off HR to beat the Nationals.
    We probably won't soon forget a couple of the big Mets/Nats series.
    We won't forget Harvey's first game back, or the innings limit debacle, which was annoying but NOW we can laugh about, as he's going Game 5 OF THE WORLD SERIES.
    We won't forget Wright's comeback late in the year, or the division-clinching game where he homered, Harvey pitched, and it was one big party.
    We won't forget the Mets/Dodgers series, which was frankly more like the NLCS than the actual thing...Mets/Cubs was a yawn, Mets/Dodgers was intense and great.

And of course we won't forget that while Harvey DID pitch in the playoffs...STRASBURG was shut down...and is now sitting at home like Bryce Harper!

We chanted it before...and I'd say we won the war on this one--

"HARVEY'S BETTER!"

If nothing else, beating the Nats and that feeling of entitlement they had, that they took the NL East and frankly most of the NL as a whole for granted...

And we BEAT THEM. And what's more? So what if the Nats have been to the playoffs a couple years past...what do they have to show for it? We have a PENNANT!

They'll never know what might've been had Strasburg pitched that year...Harvey pitched for us, in the end...he took a RISK--and in a world where too often we're told to play it safe and not rock the boat, look where taking a risk on this year has gotten us. All things said, the Mets WENT FOR IT after the trade deadline this year...the Nats punted that one year and then just expected it to be handed to them on a silver platter...and anyone not born with a silver spoon in their mouth has to love when that attitude gets knocked on its ass.

I hope it isn't, but if this is the last game tonight, I'm glad it's Matt Harvey on the mound, not just because I back him like mad on here...

But it's just fitting that it'd come down to him with the season on the line. With the good, bad, ugly, laughable and Amazin', Harvey IS the 2015 Mets personified.

Let's hope he--and we--have at least one more good memory left in us this year.
    Last edited by Shea Knight; 11-01-2015, 08:52 AM.
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
      Hey all, been a while since Ive posted here. Had ALOT going on in my life, all of it good! Hope you are all well, and enjoying this run. This season has been greater than all of our wildest dreams. If you had said, in April that the Mets would be playing a Game 5 in the WS with Harvey on the bump, Im sure you would all sign up for that in a second. Many of us pointed to 2016 as the year we could contend. The Mets pushed the date up a year. With this rotation the Mets could easily contend for the next 5 years. Harvey, deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, and Matz. think about that...Also remember Montero is also still waiting. Obviously the bullpen needs work, especially with the 8th inning setup man spot. Im assuming Cespedas and Murphy will both walk, and honestly Im ok with that. Having said all of that, Im still very proud of this team. They far exceeded all of our wildest expectations. Theres still at least one game to be played. Lets root our butts off and pray for another miracle! LETS GO METS!!!!
      No shame in losing to a much better team, but it is still disappointing to get this far and get beat. Especially when they gift wrapped game one for the Royals.

I wont say they gift wrapped game 4 because baseball happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        No shame in losing to a much better team, but it is still disappointing to get this far and get beat. Especially when they gift wrapped game one for the Royals.

I wont say they gift wrapped game 4 because baseball happens.
        I agree. It sucks. When you are this close you want to win it all. Expectations increase at this stage. Im just trying to be happy that we are still watching OUR mets in the WS
        unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
        unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
        unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Everyone:

Good thoughts from all about the 2015 Mets - NL Champions - and this has been quite a run...

This team has gone so much farther then what was expected - getting to the World Series is a achievement that any Mets fan
          can be proud of whatever happens in the remaining WS game(s)...

This team has a foundation to be a long term contender provided that the weak links be strengthened starting with
          better relief pitching to back up closer Jeuris Familia in games...

I now see Yoenis Cespedes and probably Daniel Murphy (unfortunately) leaving through free agency and even though I would
          have liked to see this team remain together changes are necessary to make the Mets stronger overall to compete with good NL
          teams like the Pirates - which were arguably the best team to not get into this year's playoffs after losing the Wild Card game to
          the Cubs - who should improve for 2016...

Win or lose - the Mets made Met fans happy in 2015...LI MIKE
          Last edited by Long Island Mike; 11-01-2015, 10:24 PM. Reason: Text Change...

Comment

I agree. From my point of view, 2015 was labelled a resounding success upon clinching the division. Everything since has been gravy.

I shall likewise find little disappointment or upset if the Mets lose any of the next three games. We all know there's no better series to win than the World Series. But imho, there's no better series to lose either!! Can't think of a series in which I'd rather have the Mets play.

I'm actually looking forward to the holidays for once! Thank you, Mr. Met, for spreading some joy this year. You've definitely helped to make 2015 a memorable one. :applaud:
            Put it in the books.

Comment

2015 will go down as a great Mets season no matter what happens the next few days. I will go into this offseason happy with the teams progress and confident in their future. The hot stove will be interesting and it will be fun to see what moves are made to shape next years roster.

Lets go Mets!!

Comment

If anyone had told me on Opening Day that the Mets would be in the World Series, I would have taken it, although I wouldn't have believed it.
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I'm proud, too. I wasn't expecting this team to win 84 games, let alone make it to the World Series.

Comment

Now is not the time to be proud. I don't think about this as gravy. Regardless of what you expected at the start of the season, they are where they are now, and they have a great opportunity. You have to take advantage of it. Regardless of what you think about the Royals, and whether they are "the better" team, you don't want the series to end with the feeling that the Mets let this opportunity slip away. I have said this before, and I'll say it again: I don't think about which team is "better." I think only about who becomes champion.

Comment

I like gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                        I like gravy.
                        I agree - but in this case as the late Yogi Berra used to say "It ain't over until it's over"

For the Mets in 2015 unfortunately it IS over - Royals win the 2015 WS...

LI MIKE

Comment

Of course its great just getting to the WS, but to say I feel good about their WS performance would be a lie. The team has a lot of flaws that the Royals were more than happy to expose.

This off season will be interesting as the middle of the order will look much different in 2016.

Comment

The two biggest flaws were defense and the bullpen. I'd add offense, but we DID hold the lead in Games 1, 4 and 5...and then poof!

Not to say the offense is great (I think we can all agree it's better than it was but still needs work) but I do think, if one or both of those aforementioned issues were fixed, we might still be playing Tuesday. (Actually, the defensive aspect of it makes me wonder what might've been if Ruben Tejada HADN'T been taken out by Utley...obviously that wouldn't have fixed the errors in the outfield, or Duda's throw, etc., but still, maybe he turns a play Wilmer doesn't and that influences the next guy's at bat and so on.)

Niese was so good out of the bullpen I almost wish, with our crammed rotation, he could stay to provide long/lefty relief. Maybe not too serious of a wish, as he's a decent starter, but still, for as much of a surplus of starting pitching as we had, we DID end up needing all of it...

Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard all had at least a couple great postseason starts, Matz was the weak link but he hasn't even cracked double digits in terms of how many starts he's made, so with that in mind he was fine, and then Colon and Niese were probably the two best bullpen options we had, lol.

I thing Wheeler and/or Montero go in a deal somewhere for a bat, bullpen help, or both (unless they're elite, bullpen pitchers seem to get tossed into deals as a little extra topping sometimes.)

Cespedes won't stay, not after THAT WS, lol...if we'd won, and he'd had a great WS, maybe Mets management tries something. (For the record, not saying that would or wouldn't be smart, just saying more likely.) NOW...yeah, no, especially given the fact that two Cespedes blunders played a major role in lost games: the dropped inside the park homer and the poor base-running that killed a potential-tying rally and ended Game 4.

I'm perfectly happy with Conforto/Lagares/Granderson in the outfield next year, especially given Conforto's emergence. Hopefully it's not a mirage, but he does look like he might at least be a good hitter.

What's interesting about this WS loss is that on the one hand it went in 5 games, but on the other hand it involved three late blown leads, baffling errors mentally, on the bases and in the field, and if the Mets make just ONE of those stand up, for as outclassed as the Royals often seemed to have them, we're playing Game 6 Tuesday night. In a way it's so close and yet so far...a lot of improvements need to be made, both adding new personnel and upgrading existing guys' skill set, but it's promising that for as flawed as they are they came that close.

The best thing for me is that none of the top three pitchers had a horrible game except deGrom, and the rest of his postseason starts were so good it balances out, at least for me. Harvey's World Series began and ended badly...take away the inside the park homer for what should've been an out to Cespedes, and have Terry sit Harvey after the 8th (I wanted Harvey pitching, so I can't talk, but like I think you said elsewhere, Pauly, the bullpen was so bad and Harvey so good, can't fault the logic) and he pitched so-so to good in Game 1, and was in line for the win, to excellent in Game 5 barring the last two batters. The most improved guy BY FAR was Syndergaard--he was rougher and gave up homers earlier in the year, but he had it GOING in the playoffs, ESPECIALLY the one and only World Series win we now have after 15 years.

I think the three are now about on par with one another--Syndergaard's super fast and nasty, deGrom's more finesse, Harvey's somewhere in the middle.

I wonder if next year will be Wright's last, given how hard he had to work just to get on the field...given all that, I'm glad he at least has that HR to his credit, and not just the error, that'd be miserable to wait through all that to get to the Series and have nothing but an error to show for it. Really is a shame about his back, though, he must have grit beyond whatever grit we thought he had if he's been going through 7 hours every game day just to get ready to play.
                            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

When you are a die-hard fan of a team that has had it's most successful season in 15 years and still thought it was a dream when the WS logo came up on tv with the Mets next to it-

Thank you Mets for a great season. Unfinished business? Ask the 2014 Royals about unfinished business.

The better team won.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X