2015-16 Mets Offseason Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015-16 Mets Offseason Thread

I wonder if Fred reinvests any of his post-season bonanza into the team?

If personnel remains the same I think we're a bullpen away from a World Championship next year.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Defense and fielding need to be upgraded. Murphy should be replaced by Herrera and Cespedes should also go. He's been exposed and the Royals pitched him inside a lot. Tejada comes back and I would listen to offers on Flores, any offer. I would find it odd having two righties playing in a platoon at second. I would bring back Blevins (no Mejia, please) and wait for Wheeler and Edgin to come back. Travis d'arnaud needs to work on his defense and throwing out runners. Can we bring in Burke Badenhop?
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
      Defense and fielding need to be upgraded. Murphy should be replaced by Herrera and Cespedes should also go. He's been exposed and the Royals pitched him inside a lot. Tejada comes back and I would listen to offers on Flores, any offer. I would find it odd having two righties playing in a platoon at second. I would bring back Blevins (no Mejia, please) and wait for Wheeler and Edgin to come back. Travis d'arnaud needs to work on his defense and throwing out runners. Can we bring in Burke Badenhop?
      I agree on most of that except Flores. I think he's worth keeping. I'd like to see the defense upgraded, but he kept getting better throughout the year...it's sentimental, but after as much as he wanted to stay and all the whole Not Traded episode, I just don't want to part with him without at least letting him start the year with us next year. Tejada/Flores/Dilson Herrera can split time until we find the combo we like, and then the third's either there to trade or a nice bench option.

Otherwise, yeah:

Murphy's gone, and I'll miss him...bad error in Game 4, and he didn't have a good World Series overall, but we wouldn't have been there without him, and he's been a pretty stand-up guy all-around in his time here anyway, so no ill will or bad memories (even the error, bad as it was, I STILL blame our bullpen first and foremost for these WS losses...Familia blew it Game 1 and Game 5, and it suffered in Game 4 as well, obviously. The defense cost us greatly, I just rank that #2 and the bullpen #1 in Reasons We Lost...besides Reason #0, The Royals WERE Better...we had a shot, but we'd have had to play our best ball.)

Cespedes I thought at first they had to retain...but for as red-hot as he was, he cooled off just as badly. Still glad we rented him, it was worth it for a few months and a pennant win, but he didn't show me nearly enough in the postseason to make me want to pay him the kind of money he'll command. (I think it was more Cespedes' "Swing for the Fences Every Time/Defense Optional" approach that cost him/us more than simply pitching inside, but hey, why choose?)

No problems bringing back Blevins, and yeah, we have no need for that filthy (and STUPID) cheater Mejia now. Familia bombed big-time in the World Series, but before then he'd been so good he's worth at least another shot coming back.

d'Arnaud needs to work on hi defense and arm, as you say, and he will.

Wheeler, I think, is trade bait. Harvey/deGrom/Syndergaard is, I maintain, the future of this team. Only Syndergaard won this series, but:
      1. deGrom was so good all year and in vs. the Dodgers and Cubs that he's earned a pass and a half on one bad start, especially it being his first in the World Series after pitching more than he ever had before, and
      2. If Familia had gotten outs, not only would it be potentially a 3-2 WS in our favor going back to KC, but Harvey would've won 2 of those 3 games had Familia not had that WS Meltdow, and no Tommy John drama next year, so I think he's worth it.

Matz we'll see, if he stays, how he fares over a full year and with a little seasoning.

With Conforto's emergence (he hit better than Cespedes in the WS, after all) I think we'll have a decent offense in d'Arnaud/Duda/*Insert 2B here/Flores or Tejada/Wright or a replacement (we WILL get someone to either replace or "platoon" with Wright, I think)/Lagares/Conforto/Granderson...that's a good start that doesn't need a drastic tune-up.

So as I've argued before, I THINK we can keep our top three guys (Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard, whichever the order you prefer to rank them in, I'd say they're clearly our top three) and sell someone off for a decent bat or two...

Wheeler, Matz...Montero's still sitting there, if anyone's interested...and whomever we don't get rid of will be good to have coming back.

Despite his meltdown tonight, Addison Reed had been pretty good (relative to the rest of our bullpen) so I'd be OK bringing him back as an arm out of that bullpen, albeit not the 8th inning guy or anything. Clippard may as well have been still pitching for the Nats or Yanks for all the help he gave the Mets in the postseason.

A lock-down 8th inning guy and a good infield bat (say, someone who can play 2B *AND* 3B...much as I love Wright, just saying.)

If we can get those, we can at least have another shot at this next year.

I have to say, it hurt losing Game 4 more than Game 5. Game 4 we blew at the end in miserable fashion...and we did tonight too, but down 3-1, the odds of us winning the Series were already bad, so I think I'd braced myself more, and appreciated the run we'd had more knowing that 3 wins against KC were a tall order and not likely, no matter how much I hoped it happened.

And given how he may not be long for baseball, it was good to see Wright get another World Series hit, and good to see Harvey pitch so masterfully through 8 innings. Since I did say let him pitch as far as he could, I can't fault Harvey for wanting to go back out or Terry for letting him, not after the bullpen implosions of Game 1 and Game 4. Harvey did all we had reason to hope for this game...through 8 innings. If we had a bullpen, he probably doesn't go out in the 9th, and we're probably playing Game 6.

At the very least we saw Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard could all pitch well in October, Syndergaard in Game 3, deGrom in everything except the WS, and Harvey vs. the Cubs and in this game until the 9th. They each had off games (though ironically enough, Harvey probably won his worst game, vs. the Dodgers in Game 3 of the NLDS, and saw the season end on his best game tonight) but overall we don't seem to have a "postseason dud" in the trio.

Bring a bullpen, stay off the DL, and we reasonably hope to be debating which of the trio's the best this time next year.
      "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Too early for me to have any concrete opinions on next years roster. I like Murph for the right price. I want money spent on keeping the pitchers in place for a few years and they need to get better defensively in the IF. The bullpen needs to improve but finding good relievers is usually a matter of finding a couple of guys who are hot and pitching well at the right time. Could and would Colon be a 8th inning guy next year? The next few months will be interesting and I expect the Wilpon's to put their "post season bonanza" back into the LONG TERM benefit of the team. As long as Alderson is around, I think they will be okay.

Comment

The best FREE AGENT this offseason for the Mets may be someone we saw last night-

Ben Zobrist.

He is awesome and just what the Doctor ordered.

Comment

Zobrist is the rich man's Daniel Murphy. It is a thought, though I read KC would try to retain him and Gordon, but not Cueto. If Cespedes and Murphy leave, he need new 3/4 batters. Conforto may develop into that. Wright is not the player he once was. Perhaps some of the monster offense of August and September was a mirage due to a fairly weak schedule. The offense all post-season was really HR or nothing. While BA is not the best stat to guage offensive ability the litany of sub .250 averages in the post-season was not good. I am sure some of this is post WS disappointment and the fact that everyone hits worse in the post-season because they are facing better teams. Will Lagares hit like a regular next year or like a defensive replacement fourth outfielder. I hope they look to build on this rather than coast.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
              Zobrist is the rich man's Daniel Murphy. It is a thought, though I read KC would try to retain him and Gordon, but not Cueto. If Cespedes and Murphy leave, he need new 3/4 batters. Conforto may develop into that. Wright is not the player he once was. Perhaps some of the monster offense of August and September was a mirage due to a fairly weak schedule. The offense all post-season was really HR or nothing. While BA is not the best stat to guage offensive ability the litany of sub .250 averages in the post-season was not good. I am sure some of this is post WS disappointment and the fact that everyone hits worse in the post-season because they are facing better teams. Will Lagares hit like a regular next year or like a defensive replacement fourth outfielder. I hope they look to build on this rather than coast.
              If they try to coast they could find themselves back to losing 2-1 games. I hope they know that.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                The Mets feasted on the bad teams, as they should. The only thing is the bad teams don't play in October. The Mets did make it look very easy against the Cubs, considering they were 0 and 7 in the regular season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/ga...&submit=Submit

The Mets were 7-0 against the Rockies and Reds. They won 47 games against the very weak NL east. On the other hand they were 9-11 against the AL.

They did play amazingly well against the Cubs; The Cubs have many holes, and so do the Mets. Neither team is going to sit tight and let the other one improve (at least I hope the Mets don't)

Comment

d'Arnaud doesn't have a great arm, but Jeez, did you see the jumps the Royals base runners were getting on Mets' pitchers? Johnny Bench couldn't have thrown them out.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

It's very odd, being up for the first time in so many months with the Mets not playing a game or getting ready to play or any story lines going forward. Sure, there's off-season stuff, and that's crucial, but it's not the same getting up and working and dealing with all kinds of hassles...

But Harvey or deGrom's pitching in the afternoon or evening, and Wilmer's gonna be there, and d'Arnaud and the others...and Gary, Keith and Ron are gonna be there and say the same old things, or tell the same stories a new way, or maybe even say something new...and between that, a drink and a book, the day might've been long, but that'll help.

Which is one of THE BEST things about baseball, the thing people complain about, "The season's so long!" But that's one of the best things, it's SO long and there IS so much downtime that you get time to actually know the players and broadcasters like people, just a bit, and not just overpriced muscle-bound celebrities playing every Sunday.

So it's weird being up, with a whole season now of forward momentum and one game after another and ups and downs...and now I won't see them or hear any of those stories for months. Football's fun but it's more like a TV show that comes on once a week than a long, crafted novel (guess which I prefer, English major that I am? ) and hockey's half the games and constant motion, which is very entertaining...but doesn't leave a lot of time for storytelling or just talking about the player's personal lives while a pennant race is on, and your team's still relevant...and we haven't had that in a while...we've had the fun of Story Time with Keith and Ron, but without the day to day drama of the team actually mattering, which holds it all together.

Much as I love Harvey, when "Harvey Day" got all the attention, four days out of five felt kind of empty. This year we were lucky--everyone as compelling, and every day mattered, so it mattered more when Wilmer almost got traded, or Wright struggled to get back on the field, because beyond just winning and losing, it's not the same without those people there, and unlike other sports...

162 games, plus Spring Training, and this year the playoffs and World Series--that's 7-8 months daily with them.
                    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                      The Mets feasted on the bad teams, as they should. The only thing is the bad teams don't play in October. The Mets did make it look very easy against the Cubs, considering they were 0 and 7 in the regular season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/ga...&submit=Submit

The Mets were 7-0 against the Rockies and Reds. They won 47 games against the very weak NL east. On the other hand they were 9-11 against the AL.

They did play amazingly well against the Cubs; The Cubs have many holes, and so do the Mets. Neither team is going to sit tight and let the other one improve (at least I hope the Mets don't)
                      We are a month away from ownership and management having the first huge impact of the 2016 season. It also gives us a feel for where ownerships mind is as far as spending on the future.

This is always my biggest concern. ALWAYS. Things in baseball always will happen - ownerships willingness to win does not, and with current ownership we havent seen it in many years.

The last thing I want to hear from Alderson is that: We feel we have enough to compete on our current roster. dArnaud for a full year, Wright is back, along with the pitching staff coming back full strength without many limitations.

This is the wrong answer. They also cant doodle around until July and hope to make another deal that is going to impact the team like Cespedes did for a month. They caught lightning in a bottle there and it doesnt happen often.

There are some mistakes fans will make this off season. Two of the biggest ones will be:

1) penciling in David Wright as the everyday 3rd basemen. Wright already declined and this injury is not good. We already see the ill effect on Wright in the amount he now has to "cheat" to get to a good fastball, and his like of range in the field. It even affected his throwing style.

2) Lucas Duda - I am not sure how long the team can live with an automatic out for 5 of the 6 months of the season in the middle of the order. He gets hot twice a year for about two weeks each. The rest of the time he is horrid.

Lets face it - these two guys will be in the middle of the order somewhere. Can a WS winner carry them?

Comment

I believe in Dilson Herrera:

Comment

The following Mets have filed for free agency, the MLBPA announced:

LHP Jerry Blevins, OF Yoenis Cespedes, RHP Tyler Clippard, RHP Bartolo Colon, IF Kelly Johnson, IF Daniel Murphy, LHP Eric O’Flaherty, RHP Bobby Parnell, and IF Juan Uribe.

Comment

The Mets released prospect Adam Kolarek, who was signed by the Orioles. The Mets also released prospect Cory vaughn, who I thought was supposed to be good.

Joba Chamberlain is a free agent. Perhaps new York could give him a look, if only briefly.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                              I believe in Dilson Herrera:

I also think he can develop into a good player

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X