Mets to retire Mike Piazza's #31 on July 30th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets to retire Mike Piazza's #31 on July 30th

It's official. In ceremonies prior to the game against Colorado on July 30, the Mets will retire #31 in honor of Mike Piazza.
    Mets to retire Piazza's No. 31 in July

By Andrew Simon / MLB.com | 1:53 PM ET

The Mets revealed plans on Monday to retire the No. 31 jersey worn by former catcher Mike Piazza before a game against the Rockies on July 30, as part of a weekend-long celebration at Citi Field.

Piazza is due to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame on July 24, joining Tom Seaver as the only players to go in wearing a Mets cap on their plaque. Seaver also is the only other Mets player to have his number retired by the club, as his No. 41 was set aside in 1988. Casey Stengel (No. 37) and Gil Hodges (No. 14) also had theirs retired for their service as a manager.

http://m.mets.mlb.com/news/article/1...-piazzas-no-31

14 men have worn #31 for the Mets:

Larry Bearnarth, 1963-1966
    Les Rohr, 1967-1968
    Jack DiLauro, 1969
    Ron Herbel, 1970
    Don Rose, 1971
    Harry Parker, 1973-1975
    Mike Vail, 1975
    Roy Lee Jackson, 1977-1980
    George Bamberger (manager), 1982-1983
    Bruce Berenyi, 1984-1986
    Gene Walter, 1987-1988
    Julio Machado, 1989
    John Franco, 1990-1998
    Mike Piazza, 1998-2005
    (Source: Ultimate Mets Database)
    Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 01-25-2016, 03:01 PM.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Mike Piazza jersey from 9/21/2001 game vs. Atlanta to go up for auction.

GD and Everyone: 4/1/2016

I have seen news stories of Mike Piazza's autographed jersey worn in that first game back after 9/11 vs. Atlanta being sold at auction.

There have been suggestions mentioned that this jersey should either have been kept by the Mets for their own Hall of Fame or sent to
    Cooperstown this year as part of his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame later this year or upon the retirement of his #31.

I am one that considers this jersey a priceless piece of Mets memorabilia and instead of selling this item at auction this could be a
    perfect addition to an exhibit at either the Mets or Baseball Hall of Fame instead of in a rich collector's hands...

What surprised me is that there was no postings on this subject anywhere at Baseball Fever about this jersey.

See: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2581448
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2582927

Does anyone have any thoughts about the sale of this priceless jersey which is a great example of Mets memorabilia from 2001?

Another question: Was this jersey part of the Mets items that were taken back from equipment manager Charlie Samuels after he was
    found with Mets property that he should not have had?

The only good result is that the buyer more then likely will preserve this item - but as the value rises it will probably be sold again...sad.

LI Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Long Island Mike View Post
      GD and Everyone: 4/1/2016

I have seen news stories of Mike Piazza's autographed jersey worn in that first game back after 9/11 vs. Atlanta being sold at auction.

There have been suggestions mentioned that this jersey should either have been kept by the Mets for their own Hall of Fame or sent to
      Cooperstown this year as part of his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame later this year or upon the retirement of his #31.

I am one that considers this jersey a priceless piece of Mets memorabilia and instead of selling this item at auction this could be a
      perfect addition to an exhibit at either the Mets or Baseball Hall of Fame instead of in a rich collector's hands...

What surprised me is that there was no postings on this subject anywhere at Baseball Fever about this jersey.

See: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2581448
      http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2582927

Does anyone have any thoughts about the sale of this priceless jersey which is a great example of Mets memorabilia from 2001?

Another question: Was this jersey part of the Mets items that were taken back from equipment manager Charlie Samuels after he was
      found with Mets property that he should not have had?

The only good result is that the buyer more then likely will preserve this item - but as the value rises it will probably be sold again...sad.

LI Mike
      This is the Wilpon family. Here's a 135 page thread documenting how they trashed a half-decade of Mets baseball so they could loot the franchise and replenish all the false Madoff profits they were denied and more.

Piazza's jersey is small potatoes by comparison.

I'm curious who they made the private sale to. Maybe Andy Fogel? They probably didn't want to auction it publicly because of the furor it would have raised.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

I'm not sure why it took the Mets 8 years to finally retire his number. I appreciate the fact that they are stingy with retiring numbers, but Piazza is an all time great Met.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X