X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Walker

Will he be here longer than one year?

Either way he deserves his own thread.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

He might not even make it the whole season this year. It depends on how Flores, Tejada and Herrera are doing and whether or not Wright can stay healthy enough to field third base.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
      He might not even make it the whole season this year. It depends on how Flores, Tejada and Herrera are doing and whether or not Wright can stay healthy enough to field third base.
      Flores might spell him against tough left-handers. I think Walker will make it through the season as starter. His bat is more proven than the others plus benching an overall good player like him going into his first free agency would cause problems.

De Aza is a more interesting situation.

Comment

I kind of hope Murphy 2.0 doesn't stick around long. I want to see the Mets products perform.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
          I kind of hope Murphy 2.0 doesn't stick around long. I want to see the Mets products perform.
          Murphy 1.0 averaged around .290 every season with around 40 doubles, 10+ HR and carried the Mets to a World Series.

If "Murphy 2.0" does the same I'll be pleased.

Comment

The Mets don't actually have a home grown second basemen ready or near ready. All they have is Walker at the major league level and Herrera hopefully getting ready to come up. Both of those players came from the Pirate organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
              The Mets don't actually have a home grown second basemen ready or near ready. All they have is Walker at the major league level and Herrera hopefully getting ready to come up. Both of those players came from the Pirate organization.
              I know, I'd like to keep Walker to the trading deadline and get something for him before he becomes a free agent. But I could see a platoon of Tejada/Flores/Herrera working the base/competing for the job once he's gone.

The Mets have too many good, young players and not enough places to put them.

Tejada is expendable (not too young anymore), but what do they do with Flores? Herrera? Plawecki? Heck ... Nimmo, Havens*, Lagares, and Matt Reynolds? Sure, some will not pan out at the major league level, but still ... I guess it's better than have too many than two few, but it would suck seeing potential solid big league careers wasted just because there was no room for them.

EDIT: Oh, I see, you were nitpicking on the 'home grown' part. In my view, 'home grown' pretty much means they start their big league career with the Mets, not that they necessarily began their professional careers with the Mets.

*j/k, just making sure you were paying attention

Comment

I know, I'd like to keep Walker to the trading deadline and get something for him before he becomes a free agent. But I could see a platoon of Tejada/Flores/Herrera working the base/competing for the job once he's gone.

The Mets have too many good, young players and not enough places to put them.

Tejada is expendable (not too young anymore), but what do they do with Flores? Herrera? Plawecki? Heck ... Nimmo, Havens*, Lagares, and Matt Reynolds? Sure, some will not pan out at the major league level, but still ... I guess it's better than have too many than two few, but it would suck seeing potential solid big league careers wasted just because there was no room for them.

EDIT: Oh, I see, you were nitpicking on the 'home grown' part. In my view, 'home grown' pretty much means they start their big league career with the Mets, not that they necessarily began their professional careers with the Mets.

*j/k, just making sure you were paying attention
                I wasn't actually nitpicking. Just making the delineation between home grown and seemingly home grown. I know home grown means much more to you than it does to me.

I am not sure the Mets have too many GOOD young players. We really don't know what kind of players they have yet in Plawecki, Herrera, and Nimmo. Its a hard call because what if you make room for them and let other opportunities pass and they don't pan out.

Plawecki for instance looks absolutely lost with a bat in his hand.

Comment

Neil Walker has 8 home runs this season, one behind the NL leader Harper.

Can he beat Carlos Delgado's Met HR April record of 9? Hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Can he beat Carlos Delgado's Met HR April record of 9? Hope so.
                    The Met record for a 2nd basemen for a season is 21 held by Jeff Kent. Hot starts don't always mean they are sustained, but you would think he has a shot.

Jeff Kent has also has the career Met homer record for a 2nd basemen with 67 in 498 games.

Comment

Neil Walker is really good. I can't even remember the name of the guy he replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                        And five more than the Atlanta Braves!

Comment

Another HR tonight! :bowdown:

Comment

Watching Torres field second base yesterday should be all we need to understand how good Cabrera/Walker have been for this year this year.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X