Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mets are going to win the World Series

It's the pattern.

Successful Met teams always one up themselves from the year before.

Consider:

1985, after years of doldrums, they put together a club that is in the running for the playoffs until the last week of the season.
    1986: They won the World Series.

1999: They reach the NLCS.
    2000: They reach the World Series.

2005: After going 323-352 from 2001 to 2004, the Mets put together a winning season and are within four games back from first as late as late July.
    2006: They reach the NLCS.

2015: They reach the World Series.
    2016: There is only one way they can one-up from the year before ... and that is by winning the Fall Classic.

Unfortunately, that means the teams from 2017 to at least 2020 are going to be disappointing, if past history holds true.

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
    It's the pattern.

Consider:

1985, after years of doldrums, they put together a club that is in the running for the playoffs until the last week of the season.

2005: After going 323-352 from 2001 to 2004, the Mets put together a winning season and are within four games back from first as late as late July.

2016: There is only one way they can one-up from the year before ... and that is by winning the Fall Classic.

Unfortunately, that means the teams from 2017 to at least 2020 are going to be disappointing, if past history holds true.
    I am not sure about the pattern but I hope your right about them winning the WS.

The 1984 team won 90 games, and were fighting with the Cubs until late September. So that was the out of the doldrum season---I think.

Eventually this team will disappoint because that is what they do. Its not the on field disappointment - its the lack of desire to compete as an organization. Lets hope they turned a corner. They signed Cespedes and I think that was a shocker to all of us.

Comment

That's one pattern. Not winning the WS ever year from 1987-2015 is a pattern too.

Anyone that is a big believer in patterns should probably bet every penny they have on the 2016 SF Giants.
      2010, 2012, 2014...

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        I am not sure about the pattern but I hope your right about them winning the WS.

The 1984 team won 90 games, and were fighting with the Cubs until late September. So that was the out of the doldrum season---I think.

Eventually this team will disappoint because that is what they do. Its not the on field disappointment - its the lack of desire to compete as an organization. Lets hope they turned a corner. They signed Cespedes and I think that was a shocker to all of us.

Sometimes their hand gets forced by the threat of an extraordinarily bad, even for them, public relations disaster.

I think that drove the Bay and Granderson signings: gotta shut the fans / press up and make it look like we're doing something...

I think it drove the bad contract they gave Wright: Reyes is gone and we can't lose both of them...

They were ready to let Murphy and Cespedes walk, but OMG, they're both going to sign with the direct competition?...

So, they do what they have to do when backed deep into a corner. Like two consecutive years of very steep price cuts after 2010 to prevent an embarrassingly empty stadium.

As for winning the WS - I don't think so. Too many flaws; have to finish first and then beat three excellent teams. We've seen this before: a taste of success and the feeling that "this is only the beginning", followed by heartache. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
          It's the pattern.

Consider:

Would you like to explain how 1969 came from 1968? Or one of their worst chokes, which seems to have been lost to history, when they collapsed in September 1970 ?
          What about 1973? From NL pennant to twenty games under .500 in 1974.

How did they follow up the choke job to the Dodgers in 1988 ? By losing the division to an inferior Cubs team in 1989 ?

It would be nice to win the WS finally after 30 years, but I think it all comes down to how the Pirates and Cubs battle it out with the Mets and Giants.

Comment

Uh, to answer the majority of your questions look at the very last line of the original post.

Comment

The follow up to 2006 isn't pretty either.

Comment

But after WS LOSSES, in 1973 and 2000, it took more than 10 years both times to make it back...

Still, these Mets look better thus far than the Piazza Mets, and they made me Mets fans, but with Cespedes back, the offense at least MLB-level now (and I maintain it could be better than expected if Conforto continues and d'Arnaud can stay healthy, both were huge "additions" last year as well) and that staff...

I hope you're right. They've taken over for the Piazza Mets as the favorite team I've ever personally seen of the Mets, 49ers, and Ducks teams I've witnessed...

A lot of good Anaheim teams in there (including last year's team, the Cup winner in 2006-07 and (the one I remember most vividly, somehow) the 2002-03 Game 7 Cup losers, back when they were still the Mighty Ducks, the year J.S. Giguere had one of the best years of any goaltender in NHL history) as well as San Fran teams (the last few Steve Young/Jerry Rice squads, including the 1998 team that beat the Packers on The Catch II, the Jeff Garcia/Terrell Owens team that came from 24 points down to beat the Giants with, um, a little "luck" on the last play in the 2002 NFC Wild Card, and then the Harbaugh teams) but the 2015 Mets were easily the most captivating to watch and were frankly more memorable than a lot of recent WS losers. I've compared them to the Royals throughout the past year, saying they could be the 2014 Royals in 2015, and they similarly WERE a Cinderella that lost close WS games to a more experienced squad...

Now's the year to be the 2015 Royals--let the assets that define this team dominate, and go from Cinderella to the team that crushes glass slippers underfoot and sends everyone else home crying.
                "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Time to see if my prediction is right.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X