Ranking The All Time Best Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking The All Time Best Mets

This might be something fun to do that could serve as an extension of the Mets HOF. Who are your all time Mets? In what order do you rank them?

I'm still milling it over, but so far I have:

Players:

1. Tom Seaver
    2. Mike Piazza
    3. Darryl Strawberry
    4. David Wright
    5. Jerry Koosman
    6. Doc Gooden
    7. John Franco
    8. Jesse Orosco
    9. Gary Carter
    10. Keith Hernandez
    11. Daniel Murphy
    12. Edgardo Alphonso
    13. Jose Reyes
    14. Howard Johnson
    15. Ed Kranepool
    16. Todd Hundley
    17. Mookie Wilson
    18. David Cone
    19. Ron Darling
    20. Sid Fernandez

Managers:

1. Dave Johnson
    2. Gil Hodges
    3. Terry Collins
    4. Bobby Valentine
    5. Willie Randolph

Comment

hmm I don't know about precise order beyond Seaver as #1. Next cluster might be great but for no more than five year guys: Piazza, Strawberry, Gooden, Hernandez. Wright, Reyes, Beltran and Koosman are all longer term players, who were great but maybe not at the occasional near MVP level of the other 4 (Wright could go either way). Next step down we get: Alfonzo, HoJo, Orosco, Cone, Sid, Darling, McGraw. Then the long term regulars like Grote, Harrelson, Mookie, (the painful to me) John Franco, Murphy. There are some guys with major moments or big seasons like: Carter, Staub, Agee, Clendenon, McReynolds, Dykstra, Todd Hundley, Kingman, Frank Viola, and soon to include Cespedes to name a few. Then the Gold Watch guys that by this time really should not be so far up on a list: Kranepool and Ron Hodges.
      Last edited by PVNICK; 05-11-2016, 05:30 AM. Reason: forgot Beltran

Comment

I broke it up into different categories:

My opinion:

Seaver is the all time best Met pitcher

Gooden had the all time best season for a pitcher

Beltran is the best all around player the Mets ever had

Strawberry was by far my favorite and most fun for me to watch

With all that said - The most important player the Mets ever had is Keith Hernandez. In my opinion he was the glue of those 80's teams, the on field captain, pitching coach, hitting coach, and manager. The Mets were lucky to STEAL him from the Cardinals. What the hell was Herzog thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
          hmm I don't know about precise order beyond Seaver as #1. Next cluster might be great but for no more than five year guys: Piazza, Strawberry, Gooden, Hernandez. Wright, Reyes, Beltran and Koosman are all longer term players, who were great but maybe not at the occasional near MVP level of the other 4 (Wright could go either way). Next step down we get: Alfonzo, HoJo, Orosco, Cone, Sid, Darling, McGraw. Then the long term regulars like Grote, Harrelson, Mookie, (the painful to me) John Franco, Murphy. There are some guys with major moments or big seasons like: Carter, Staub, Agee, Clendenon, McReynolds, Dykstra, Todd Hundley, Kingman, Frank Viola, and soon to include Cespedes to name a few. Then the Gold Watch guys that by this time really should not be so far up on a list: Kranepool and Ron Hodges.
          The Mets haven't really been about great players for prolonged stretches. Seaver is best. Koosman put in 10 excellent seasons. Otherwise not many who shone more than 5 or so years.

I never really warmed up to Franco either. He was too chummy with the Wilpons. This helped lead, of course, to the Kazmir trade.

The whole rosters of those mid-80s teams were chocked full of greatness. I still like Kevin Mitchell as a Met better than Kevin McReynolds. I like Shawon Dunston as a Met better than Tom Glavine. Which points to the problem of ranking these players...

For a true ranking you can just go to the Mets all time leader boards. Subjectively we all have our own opinions. It'd take hours to list them.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
            The Mets haven't really been about great players for prolonged stretches. Seaver is best. Koosman put in 10 excellent seasons. Otherwise not many who shone more than 5 or so years.
            I never really warmed up to Franco either. He was too chummy with the Wilpons. This helped lead, of course, to the Kazmir trade.

The whole rosters of those mid-80s teams were chocked full of greatness. I still like Kevin Mitchell as a Met better than Kevin McReynolds. I like Shawon Dunston as a Met better than Tom Glavine. Which points to the problem of ranking these players...

For a true ranking you can just go to the Mets all time leader boards. Subjectively we all have our own opinions. It'd take hours to list them.
            There really weren't. I was
            thinking about Matlack as a long term player but he was rookie of the year in 1972 and gone by 1978. Staub who seemed like a fixture was there for even less time during tenure 1.0. There definitely seems to be a "better to sell too soon than too late" mentality that predates the current regime.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
              There really weren't. I was
              thinking about Matlack as a long term player but he was rookie of the year in 1972 and gone by 1978. Staub who seemed like a fixture was there for even less time during tenure 1.0. There definitely seems to be a "better to sell too soon than too late" mentality that predates the current regime.
              With a team with a piss poor history like the Mets have its challenging to come up with a list of players. So you have to reach for the players - like Beltran - they weren't Mets long but were productive in their short stay.

The Mets have a lousy player history for sure.

Comment

I was looking at some old 86 WS highlights and forget sometimes that the main sources of runs in that series were Carter and Knight. Carter was only here 5 seasons and Knight for 2.5. There really aren't too many career Mets. We only have Seaver and Piazza in Cooperstown wearing Mets jerseys (Carter wanted to go in as a Met, but his best years were with the Expos). Below are the longest served Mets. Many of them are very forgettable.

Here are our only Mets with 4000+ PAs:

1. David Wright 6817
                2. Ed Kranepool 5997
                3. Bud Harrelson 5083
                4. Jose Reyes 4840
                5. Cleon Jones 4683
                6. Howard Johnson 4591
                7. Darryl Strawberry 4549
                8. Edgardo Alfonso 4449
                9. Jerry Grote 4335
                10. Mookie Wilson 4307

And the only starting pitchers with 1000+ IPS:

1. Tom Seaver 3045.1
                2. Jerry Koosman 2544.2
                3. Doc Gooden 2169.2
                4. Ron Darling 1620.0
                5. Sid Fernandez 1584.2
                6. Jon Matlack 1448.0
                7. Al Leiter 1360.0
                8. Craig Swan 1230.2
                9. Bobby Jones 1215.2
                10. Dave Cone 1209.1
                11. John Niese 1068.1
                12. Tom Glavine 1005.1

And our relievers with 300 games:

1. John Franco 695
                2. Pedro Feliciano 484
                3. Jesse Orosco 372
                4. Tug McGraw 361
                5. Armando Benitez 333
                6. Bobby Parnell 329
                7. Aaron Heilman 305

Comment

Cleon Jones, was, in fact forgotten by me. He at least is in the same class as Mookie, Harrelson and Grote.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X