Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Contract in Mets Franchise History

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Worst Contract in Mets Franchise History

    What are the worst contracts in Mets franchise history? Bobby Bonilla and his deferred payments? Jason Bay? Maybe you have someone else in mind. Cast your vote in the poll above.
    5
    Jason Bay
    40.00%
    2
    Bobby Bonilla
    20.00%
    1
    Luis Castillo
    0.00%
    0
    Michael Cuddyer
    0.00%
    0
    Frank Francisco
    0.00%
    0
    Elliot Maddox
    0.00%
    0
    Pedro Martinez
    0.00%
    0
    Kaz Matsui
    0.00%
    0
    Oliver Perez
    0.00%
    0
    Johan Santana
    0.00%
    0
    David Wright
    20.00%
    1
    Other (Please Explain)
    20.00%
    1

  • #2
    Hands down for me its Wright for reasons I have mentioned on here too many times to count. Giving someone $138MM 4 years after his prime, and now has become a walking time bomb. Wright is a shell of what he was when signed and although he hasn't performed well - he is STILL owed about $100MM. The contract was hideous the day it was signed in 2012.

    Wrights average year since 2013:

    78 games
    .281 BA
    .359 OBA
    .434 SLG
    .793 OPS
    86 Hits
    17 2b's
    2 3b's
    9 HR's
    36 RBI's
    68 K's

    Disaster? Almost a K a game also. Not a lot of production for $138MM......Oh wait I forgot...At least he is home grown.


    Most will say Bonilla or Bay which I get both for sure.

    Bonilla was not a bad Met on the field. Bonilla put up an .851 OPS with the Mets. His contract being called the "worst" is grossly overrated in my opinion. The fact that the Wilpons wanted to pay him forever isn't a big issue for me.

    Jason Bay was like throwing away $66MM, but it was 4 years $66MM not $138MM. Bay was also coming off of his most productive seasons before the Citi Field disaster. The signing was not a good signing the day it was made, but nobody saw that disaster coming.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 05-17-2016, 11:46 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      The worst contract in Mets history was when Fred Wilpon, owner of SNY, signed Fred Wilpon, owner of the Mets, to the worst TV deal in sports.

      Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz (Sterling) get 50% of local TV revenue, Time Warner and Comcast get 25% and the Mets get just 25%.

      The bulk of the Mets' local TV revenue (over $300M a year) is siponed away from the team and into Fred and Saul's pocket.

      Any bad player contracts are insignificant by comparison.


      "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
        The worst contract in Mets history was when Fred Wilpon, owner of SNY, signed Fred Wilpon, owner of the Mets, to the worst TV deal in sports.

        Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz (Sterling) get 50% of local TV revenue, Time Warner and Comcast get 25% and the Mets get just 25%.

        The bulk of the Mets' local TV revenue (over $300M a year) is siponed away from the team and into Fred and Saul's pocket.

        Any bad player contracts are insignificant by comparison.
        How is this any different from all of the other MLB teams?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
          How is this any different from all of the other MLB teams?
          Name another team where:

          1) ownership pays themselves double what they give the team

          2) they then say the team is losing money and slash payroll.


          "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
            Name another team where:

            1) ownership pays themselves double what they give the team

            2) they then say the team is losing money and slash payroll.
            The Pittsburgh Pirates.

            Next question.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
              The Pittsburgh Pirates.

              Next question.
              Please post proof with the total amount Pirates ownership diverted from the team.

              Thanks in advance.


              "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                Please post proof with the total amount Pirates ownership diverted from the team.

                Thanks in advance.
                Use the Google.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                  Use the Google.
                  I did.

                  It says no other big market team in any sport has ever been ransacked like the Wilpons ransacked the Mets.

                  Mentions nothing about the Pirates.


                  "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Went with Bonilla...at least they won't be paying Wright through 2035...
                    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                      Went with Bonilla...at least they won't be paying Wright through 2035...
                      Are you so sure about that? In a year or so when Wright cant play at all you don't think that they will try to defer the balance?

                      Bobby Bonilla was a much better baseball player than David Wright AFTER their contracts with the Mets were signed.

                      Comment

                      Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X