X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Reyes

Part 2 maybe?

Thoughts?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

The Mets were smart enough (I don't get to say that very often) not to sign him 5 years ago. Lets hope they remain smart enough not to pick up a 33 year old broken down Jose Reyes. Please let them be smart enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      The Mets were smart enough (I don't get to say that very often) not to sign him 5 years ago. Lets hope they remain smart enough not to pick up a 33 year old broken down Jose Reyes. Please let them be smart enough.
      Agreed. 20/20 Hindsight: they should have let Reyes and Wright go.

Comment

Don't forget he's a wife-beater too.
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
          Don't forget he's a wife-beater too.
          Well I guess so, but I wonder if Mike Trout slapped his girlfriend how many teams wouldn't take him because of it. I am not making light of the domestic abuse issue, but its easier to say it was a one time thing and he learned his lesson when the guy can still play.

The Yankees will find that out first hand soon when they open up the trade talks for Chapman. There isn't a team that wouldnt kick the tires and see what the Yanks want. This for a dude that was firing a gun.

Comment

Well I guess so, but I wonder if Mike Trout slapped his girlfriend how many teams wouldn't take him because of it. I am not making light of the domestic abuse issue, but its easier to say it was a one time thing and he learned his lesson when the guy can still play.

The Yankees will find that out first hand soon when they open up the trade talks for Chapman. There isn't a team that wouldnt kick the tires and see what the Yanks want. This for a dude that was firing a gun.
            As I read this it struck me that people are strange. Michael Vick came to mind and what a pariah he was, yet as noted this behavior goes on without people batting an eyelash. (as I continue to type I think Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson are counterpoints but still).

Comment

It seems as though the Mets are seriously considering this huge mistake.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2016/06...sign-him.html/

Too many people were/are huge Jose Reyes fans and probably haven't seen him play since he left - including the writer of the above article. I have. He is a shell of what he was even just the 5 years ago that he was here. Miami dumped, Toronto took on Tulo's salary to get rid of him, and then the Rockies out right released him.

Sounds like the perfect Met - cheap, and broken down.

The writer after saying that Jose Reyes isn't the same player he was from 2003-2011 goes on to say that the Mets could use his speed. The stupidity can not be measured. He will bring a "spark". Its just too ridiculous for words.

The bottom line is the Mets could have him for the minimum and that is the one and only reason he could end up a Met.

The Mets may be the only team to go after a 33 year old "legs player" that has played one full season in the last 7, and has deteriorated. They should see if Rickey Henderson is available.

The Mets just refuse to do what is necessary to make this team a winner.
              Last edited by Paulypal; 06-21-2016, 07:33 AM.

Comment

That article suggests putting Reyes at SS moving Cabrera to 2B and Walker to 3B or having Reyes play 3B because "we know he has the arm for it." This is literally face palm level inanity. They need a real 3B or Wilmer to turn into one, end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                  That article suggests putting Reyes at SS moving Cabrera to 2B and Walker to 3B or having Reyes play 3B because "we know he has the arm for it." This is literally face palm level inanity. They need a real 3B or Wilmer to turn into one, end of story.
                  Yep Agreed. Basically they are either going to put Reyes out of position or play a shell game in the infield to put him at short. If this happens it will just further prove what a clown organization this is.

Comment

If they want a washed-up shortstop, they could probably get Jimmy Rollins for next to nothing. The White Sox DFAd him a week ago.
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                      If they want a washed-up shortstop, they could probably get Jimmy Rollins for next to nothing. The White Sox DFAd him a week ago.
                      Why not both?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                        Why not both?
                        Why not neither? Asdrubal Cabrera has more upside than either of them at this point. Shortstop isn't the problem.
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I'd rather see them go after Longoria. If Wright ever plays again, it will not be at third base. His back can't handle it.

Bringing back Reyes would be a huge mistake. The only reason they are considering it is that he'd cost them nothing and they think he can still steal bases. If they want legs, they might as well go after Eric Young Jr. again. He can pinch run and not get thrown out at home.

This team either has to punt another season, or bring in someone really soon. They are in a tailspin. The crazy pipe dream would be to pick up Jose Altuve and move Walker to third base. The problem is, who would you have to give up to get a talent like Altuve in? He's currently the best second baseman in baseball and can steal bases.
                          Last edited by jjpm74; 06-21-2016, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                            I'd rather see them go after Longoria. If Wright ever plays again, it will not be at third base. His back can't handle it.

Bringing back Reyes would be a huge mistake. The only reason they are considering it is that he'd cost them nothing and they think he can still steal bases. If they want legs, they might as well go after Eric Young Jr. again. He can pinch run and not get thrown out at home.

This team either has to punt another season, or bring in someone really soon. They are in a tailspin. The crazy pipe dream would be to pick up Jose Altuve and move Walker to third base. The problem is, who would you have to give up to get a talent like Altuve in? He's currently the best second baseman in baseball and can steal bases.
                            Altuve has a .423 OBP. He's scored 50 runs already. He's not going anywhere.

Comment

Too many people were/are huge Jose Reyes fans and probably haven't seen him play since he left - including the writer of the above article. I have. He is a shell of what he was even just the 5 years ago that he was here. Miami dumped, Toronto took on Tulo's salary to get rid of him, and then the Rockies out right released him.

Sounds like the perfect Met - cheap, and broken down.

The writer after saying that Jose Reyes isn't the same player he was from 2003-2011 goes on to say that the Mets could use his speed. The stupidity can not be measured. He will bring a "spark". Its just too ridiculous for words.
                              ALL OF THAT.

What kind of "spark" do you get from a washed up ex-speed guy minus his speed plus a domestic assault case hanging over his head?

And this from a person who once upon a time sang of his charm and "smile"...if Reyes has turned ME off, what half wit seriously wants him back in Flushing or thinks he'd seriously help the Mets? Cabrera HAS been an improvement up the middle! We HAVE a (for the price and expectations) decent shortstop!

Even if he DIDN'T have the assault issue hanging over his head (how do the Wilpons think that's going to play, being an ex-Met doesn't mean he'll be welcomed for that with the specter of Ray Rice and violence against women in general being such a hot issue at the moment, and rightfully so) while I get the "minimum salary so why not" mindset, that's not a fix, and feels more like an excuse ("See, we got someone!") than an actual fix ("Look, we got someone we actually NEED...at a position we actually need!")

The ONLY plus of Reyes would've been the nostalgia factor...which 1. Why look back when you should be looking forward to contention, and 2. Any nostalgia kind of gets overridden when the only reason Reyes is available is the guy's missed 50 games THIS SEASON for hitting a woman!
                              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X