Jose Reyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Baseball fully supported Josh Hamilton as a feel-good comeback story yet the stuff he did indirectly is worlds worse than what Reyes did. If everyone was so willing to let Hamilton get another go, then they should give Reyes another chance, too.
    I never supported Josh Hamilton . I fully expect him to end up on skid row or worse . And I never liked Johnny Football either . He too will probably end up as an OD sta

Rapists , druggies , wife beaters , even murderers get away with stuff ONLY if they wear a uniform of one's favorite team .

I guess Jeffie paying out millions for harassment means Jose is welcome in Metsville?

Comment

Baseball fully supported Josh Hamilton as a feel-good comeback story yet the stuff he did indirectly is worlds worse than what Reyes did. If everyone was so willing to let Hamilton get another go, then they should give Reyes another chance, too.
      Good grief. What specifically did Josh Hamilton do that's "worlds worse" than pushing your wife through a window?
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
        Good grief. What specifically did Josh Hamilton do that's "worlds worse" than pushing your wife through a window?
        Pushing a wife through a window does not support murderous drug cartels that kill, kidnap and rape daily.

Comment

Big difference between abusing your own body with drugs and someone else's by pushing them through a window, I'd say.
          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

He is 0-2 so far. He must be washed up.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
              They were talking about him today pre and post like he's going to be the savior of this team. He's basically a distraction until the trade deadline approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                They were talking about him today pre and post game today like he's going to be the savior of this team. He's basically a distraction until the trade deadline approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                  Big difference between abusing your own body with drugs and someone else's by pushing them through a window, I'd say.
                  Did you not read what I said exactly one post before yours.

Pushing a chick through a window involves two people. The pusher and the chick. Yes, it's bad. But its scope of damage on the macro scale is minimal.

Doing cocaine supports systems that cause chaos and illegality the world over.

Comment

Pushing a chick through a window involves two people. The pusher and the chick. Yes, it's bad. But its scope of damage on the macro scale is minimal.

So does gambling -- How do you feel about Pete Rose?

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                      I am not here to get into a ridiculous debate of the lesser of evils between domestic abuse/drug addiction.

Unfortunately I have seen addiction up close - which is why I have never picked up a cigarette, never had a drink of alcohol, and never tried any drug.

With all that said if you think that the addict only affects himself and is only abusing his own body then I am really happy for you because that just tells me you have never been close to addiction. If you did you couldn't have that opinion. Ever. One addict can destroy many people, friends, siblings, parents...I can keep going.

Reyes is a Met so root for him or not, but he is here. I wont get into the social aspect of the Reyes signing because I never got past how bad a baseball move I feel it is. If I want to debate social issues - this isn't the place for me to do it.
                      Last edited by Paulypal; 06-26-2016, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Pushing a wife through a window does not support murderous drug cartels that kill, kidnap and rape daily.
                        I hope that's some comfort to Mrs. Reyes. At least Jose wasn't supporting a drug cartel. Although it wouldn't surprise me much if he did that, too.
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                          I hope that's some comfort to Mrs. Reyes. At least Jose wasn't supporting a drug cartel. Although it wouldn't surprise me much if he did that, too.
                          What you have just given anyone who has any ability to argue or debate is a very easy strawman to demolish.

So what you are suggesting, by not agreeing with me, is that indeed one man injuring one person is worse than many persons injuring, killing and harming many people?

See, this is why emotions win more than logic. You can humanize the incident, because you can put a face to the victim and the aggressor - Ms. Reyes and Mr. Reyes. However, you cannot put a face on large numbers, so as odd as it might appear, the negative impact of singular events seems stronger than that of larger conglomerates of events and persons, like the overall actions and ramifications of drug cartels. In fact, not to go too tangential, but this is why genocides are allowed to escalate. When a little kid dies, you see his face in the newspaper. When a million little kids die, you the number 1,000,000. Which one is going to be more emotionally evocative? Not the number, numbers are cold.

It should be noted that those who argue with logic and facts do not fall for emotion. For future reference, do not try the bleeding heart angles, they do not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                            So does gambling -- How do you feel about Pete Rose?
                            That question is a non-sequitur and makes assumptions about a supposed inherent argument you think I might or might not have been making in the post you quoted.

Comment

1. No, it takes an aggressor and a victim...not really a "it takes two to tango" social equivalent.

2. I'd argue the damage isn't minimal on the macro scale for the same reason it wasn't minimal in the Ray Rice/Greg Hardy/Ray McDonald/etc. cases--signing Reyes, or any player who has committed domestic abuse, sends the message that the league and the public both value sports skills over social justice in an instance like this and therefore encourages and enables FUTURE abusers, since hey, those other guys did it and got away with it and got contracts and playing time again...so what's to stop them doing the same to their wives/girlfriends with the expectation of the same? By your own logic about supporting "systems of chaos," that's precisely what we're doing here, just with domestic abuse instead of cartels.

3. Moreover, it sends the message overall that a man's word (Hope Solo case aside, nearly all the high-profile abuse cases in sports ARE male on female) means more to the public on this issue than a woman's, and that men will continue to be favored legally, financially, and socially...which just encourages angry John to go ahead and hit Jane, and makes Jane statistically less likely to come forward (for fear of not being taken seriously, or the abuser being favored by society or cops or the court) and less likely to win if she does, MORE likely to stay in that abusive relationship...and thus perpetuate this cycle of violence for all the untold millions of Janes experiencing it.

4. While it's ridiculous to try and compare domestic abuse worldwide to cartels in terms of which is worse (answer: both) I WOULD say domestic abuse worldwide is as big a problem in its way as cartels and drug-related violence, and especially in this country, right now, between things like the Ray Rice case and the recent Stanford rape case, violence against women is a major problem that doesn't need an assist from any sports league.

5. I forget the article (it might have been on Graham Greene and his Catholicism visa vi his era's Antisemitism) but it made a good if overstated point in saying if we limited who we read to the people whose morals we agree with...we'd be left with pretty much George Eliot and her monstrously-huge moralizing books. That said, you can't cut Ezra Pound, Ernest Hemingway or Norman "I Hate Women" Mailer out of literary history despite the first siding with and working for the Axis (and all the views that implies), the second having sexist views, and the latter once saying "A little bit of rape is good for a man's soul." They weren't always the best people, but you still have to teach them. You couldn't teach baseball history without Ty Cobb. Signing Reyes, by contrast, was NOWHERE NEAR that level of necessity...the Mets didn't need him on a baseball level and Reyes isn't on that level of importance to the game.
                              Last edited by Shea Knight; 06-27-2016, 12:47 AM.
                              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

What you have just given anyone who has any ability to argue or debate is a very easy strawman to demolish.

So what you are suggesting, by not agreeing with me, is that indeed one man injuring one person is worse than many persons injuring, killing and harming many people?

See, this is why emotions win more than logic. You can humanize the incident, because you can put a face to the victim and the aggressor - Ms. Reyes and Mr. Reyes. However, you cannot put a face on large numbers, so as odd as it might appear, the negative impact of singular events seems stronger than that of larger conglomerates of events and persons, like the overall actions and ramifications of drug cartels. In fact, not to go too tangential, but this is why genocides are allowed to escalate. When a little kid dies, you see his face in the newspaper. When a million little kids die, you the number 1,000,000. Which one is going to be more emotionally evocative? Not the number, numbers are cold.

It should be noted that those who argue with logic and facts do not fall for emotion. For future reference, do not try the bleeding heart angles, they do not work.
                                Thanks for the advice, I'd better go reevaluate my life.

So tell me, O master debater, what is your counter argument? Why do we need Jose Reyes? Why should we welcome him to the Mets? His skills are considerably diminished. And he'll be playing a position he has never played before, at least at the MLB level. You want to argue with logic and facts, so go ahead, have at it. What is the upside to Jose Reyes, other than they got him cheap?

And feeling a little empathy for a woman whose husband pushed her through a window is the "bleeding heart angle"?
                                Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 06-27-2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X