Mets Trade Deadline Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets Trade Deadline Thread

I figure that there will be some Met chatter for the next couple of weeks on the Mets making possible moves that it should have its own thread , and no need to clutter the Regular Season thread.

I saw/heard a couple of things on the MLB Network during lunch today on High Heat.

First Jeff Wilpon said the Mets have to act now and cant wait until the end of July to make moves to have a shot. I am not sure how sincere he was but I agree with that. The Mets better act now, because they are very close to being out of the race with this current team.

Then Keith Hernandez was on and he believe Reyes is a mistake, and should never happen. Keith was also bringing up the rumor that Longoria may be available and he said that is someone the Mets should target. Although he said it will probably cost Wheeler/Nimmo.

Keith also mentioned that the Met pitching hasn't been up to snuff. No big news there but further proof that you need a balanced team in case one aspect struggles.

I am still of the mindset I would trade Harvey even before Wheeler. Wheeler could not have been worse than Havey this year had he pitched. I also believe the market is still better for Harvey than Wheeler and probably would still bring back more.

I think we will know in the next 12 Games if the Mets are in or out.

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Then Keith Hernandez was on and he believe Reyes is a mistake, and should never happen. Keith was also bringing up the rumor that Longoria may be available and he said that is someone the Mets should target. Although he said it will probably cost Wheeler/Nimmo.
    I would make this trade in a second. It would make the team instantly better.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
      I would make this trade in a second. It would make the team instantly better.
      I would try to trade Harvey for Longoria before I trade Wheeler/Nimmo.

Comment

I would try to trade Harvey for Longoria before I trade Wheeler/Nimmo.
        Why? Harvey is someone who you can get more for at the trade deadline. Wheeler is an unproven entity coming off of TJ surgery and Nimmo is a mid level prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
          Why? Harvey is someone who you can get more for at the trade deadline. Wheeler is an unproven entity coming off of TJ surgery and Nimmo is a mid level prospect.
          Do you think you can get more than Longoria for Harvey? I don't. His value has dropped in a big way, and the problem is if you hang on to him hoping it escalates you risk that he just loses more value. I am not willing to take that risk on a player that is not going to be here the first chance he gets to bolt.

I rather have Wheeler than Harvey (if Wheeler gets over this elbow soreness hump right now) Wheeler at least wants to be here.

Comment

Do you think you can get more than Longoria for Harvey? I don't. His value has dropped in a big way, and the problem is if you hang on to him hoping it escalates you risk that he just loses more value. I am not willing to take that risk on a player that is not going to be here the first chance he gets to bolt.

I rather have Wheeler than Harvey (if Wheeler gets over this elbow soreness hump right now) Wheeler at least wants to be here.
            I'd rather see the Mets trade unproven entities over a proven entity, but if Longoria ends up on the Mets, I'll be happy either way. He's signed through 2022 and 30 years old. I don't think the Mets will pay for him, though as it cripples their chances to sign Syndergaard or Matz.

Comment

^This on all counts, Wheeler before Harvey, but the offense is bad enough that if it isn't the Top 3 starters you make that deal with either Wheeler/Harvey.

Glad to hear Keith say that on Reyes, I agree. Reyes is washed up, and more importantly, we DON'T need that kind of bad PR or to enable someone charged with assaulting his wife.
              Last edited by Shea Knight; 06-21-2016, 08:05 PM.
              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

When did Harvey ever say he didn't want to play in New York? Hasn't that been the knock on him (well, besides the lackluster start to the year) that he likes playing in the big city too much with all the attention he hasn't "earned" yet?
                "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Wheeler has suffered a "setback" in his recovery.
                  http://m.mets.mlb.com/news/article/1...injury-setback

You couldn't get a used resin bag for him at this point.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                    Wheeler has suffered a "setback" in his recovery.
                    http://m.mets.mlb.com/news/article/1...injury-setback

You couldn't get a used resin bag for him at this point.
                    Yet another reason I consider him the least of the pieces, even Montero is a better option than him.

It'll probably be Harvey, I just wish as a fan it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                      When did Harvey ever say he didn't want to play in New York? Hasn't that been the knock on him (well, besides the lackluster start to the year) that he likes playing in the big city too much with all the attention he hasn't "earned" yet?
                      Wheeler called Alderson last year and asked not to be traded because he wanted to be here. I believe the Harvey/Boras combination will high tail it out of here when he becomes a FA. I am hoping the Mets would make that decision for him.

All of this lack of offense and you still are holding on to these pitchers like they are the Holy Grail. Yeah I know let the band play it out.

Comment

I believe Harvey/Boras will hightail it towards the best possible offer.

If the Mets were actually run like/spent like a New York team, he'd stay. My point was just that Harvey didn't have anything against playing in New York, and probably wants to...he'd just chase the money in absence of a title (if the Mets were built such that they were heavy WS favorites, I still think he'd have stayed for that over larger money in another market, but that point's academic at this point.)

I've admitted that realistically one or two pitchers will have to go for some offense. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I still think it's a shame this team can't/won't pay to keep them together and get an offense in addition to rather than at the expense of that staff.

But realistically Wheeler and probably Harvey are on the block and possibly not long for New York.

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                          I believe Harvey/Boras will hightail it towards the best possible offer.

If the Mets were actually run like/spent like a New York team, he'd stay. My point was just that Harvey didn't have anything against playing in New York, and probably wants to...he'd just chase the money in absence of a title (if the Mets were built such that they were heavy WS favorites, I still think he'd have stayed for that over larger money in another market, but that point's academic at this point.)

I've admitted that realistically one or two pitchers will have to go for some offense. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I still think it's a shame this team can't/won't pay to keep them together and get an offense in addition to rather than at the expense of that staff.

But realistically Wheeler and probably Harvey are on the block and possibly not long for New York.
                          Right now as of today - their is no offense to pay for. Now you can take a high priced player off a teams hands but that is going to include a trade, and guess what the other team is going to ask for? Its not going to be some low level prospect.

I am not sure if Harvey stays even if he was on the Dodgers/Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox. He is the last of the four young pitchers I would keep. I rather keep deGrom/Noah/Matz. I don't think any big spend team keeps all 4. That is why you cash in on a trade.

The teams pitching is built to win now.........the teams offense is built to win ...............never. Their is a middle ground that must be met very very quickly. If not 2016 is toast for the NY Mets.

By the way Reyes (as you agree with) is not the answer. In fact he will make the problem worse once they start juggling players around. Just my opinion.

I have not even touched on the domestic violence issue that he brings because I always figured Reyes was a non-starter just because it is such a bad baseball move. Now that they are really considering...strongly considering this horrid baseball move - it is also a horrid PR move.

Rooting for this team is like having a constant toothache with some small windows of no pain.

Comment

The Mets are reportedly interested in Yunel Escobar. This would be a good pickup if they can get him:

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/201...s_yunel_e.html

Comment

Escobar would be a reasonable utility man. He would be insurance in case Reyes does not pan out or if Walker leaves as FA?

Has there been any further word on the Cuban 3B?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X