Mets Trade Deadline Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
    You are correct. The players haven't run up the flag of surrender. Most of their fans have.

I have been to YS twice this year. They beat the Angels, and a week ago they beat the Giants. Listening to the fans, I have never heard such a bunch of defeatists . Everything was doom and gloom. Everyone in the line up sucked.

"ticket prices must go down' "this place is empty" "Lonn and Randy must get fired today" "Cashman sucks". When the Yankees try to get fans to the stadium, selling "$19.96" priced tickets in the normally $65 main level, fans go ballistic. "how can they do this to us?"

Across town, I went to a couple of Mets games and the fans are actually optimistic. Every Mets player is a potential all star, everything is sunny skies. When Fred or Lil Jeff raise prices to the Subway series or Mike Piazza weekend, the fan base embraces it.

Two different fan bases, two different perspectives.

Tomorrow night I go for seeing my 6th straight Mets win at Yankee Stadium
    Double posting epidemic
    Last edited by Paulypal; 08-02-2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

You are correct. The players haven't run up the flag of surrender. Most of their fans have.

I have been to YS twice this year. They beat the Angels, and a week ago they beat the Giants. Listening to the fans, I have never heard such a bunch of defeatists . Everything was doom and gloom. Everyone in the line up sucked.

"ticket prices must go down' "this place is empty" "Lonn and Randy must get fired today" "Cashman sucks". When the Yankees try to get fans to the stadium, selling "$19.96" priced tickets in the normally $65 main level, fans go ballistic. "how can they do this to us?"

Across town, I went to a couple of Mets games and the fans are actually optimistic. Every Mets player is a potential all star, everything is sunny skies. When Fred or Lil Jeff raise prices to the Subway series or Mike Piazza weekend, the fan base embraces it.

The Yankee fan base - especially the ones in the early 30's - late 30's are just plain spoiled. They never heard of losing or a "rebuild". They think Derek Jeter is the greatest player to walk on Earth. So selling off pieces is foreign to them. The Yankees did a great job in getting a big haul for their pieces.

The Mets on the other hand are above .500 which in late July is not something to be taken for granted. Although I don't see Met fans as optimistic. Don't most fans want to hang Alderson, and hate Collins. Wilpon must go has been a battle cry for years.

I think the knowledgeable Yankee fan who has been around understands that this purging was necessary and it made the organization better.

The Met fan overall in my experience has been more of the pessimist. I include myself in that category for sure. I don't fall for the anomaly of 2015. I need to see the winning as the rule and not the exception. When its time to be optimistic we will know.
      Last edited by Paulypal; 08-02-2016, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        The Yankee fan base - especially the ones in the early 30's - late 30's are just plain spoiled. They never heard of losing or a "rebuild". They think Derek Jeter is the greatest player to walk on Earth. So selling off pieces is foreign to them. The Yankees did a great job in getting a big haul for their pieces.

The Mets on the other hand are above .500 which in late July is not something to be taken for granted. Although I don't see Met fans as optimistic. Don't most fans want to hang Alderson, and hate Collins. Wilpon must go has been a battle cry for years.

I think the knowledgeable Yankee fan who has been around understands that this purging was necessary and it made the organization better.

The Met fan overall in my experience has been more of the pessimist. I include myself in that category for sure. I don't fall for the anomaly of 2015. I need to see the winning as the rule and not the exception. When its time to be optimistic we will know.
        I don't know about those in their late-30s as being spoiled. I'm 40, so not much older than them, and growing up, the Yankees fans around my age were pretty miserable until 1996. I haven't heard a single yankee fan say they are not happy with the sell-off. The issue, is if it takes 2 years, will they still show up to watch the kids develop, will they still tune in? If not, then they better realize it will be hard for their management to justify doing this again if necessary down the line.

Comment

I wouldn't go that far. The variable pricing completely turns me off. Especially the non-sense they just pulled with the "no added fees" promotion. All they did was jack up the original prices for a few days.

Comment

Most fans hate the Wilpons. Most fans don't have a strong opinion on Alderson and the Wally Backman chants died off 2 years ago with Collins.

Comment

Originally posted by PatNYM View Post
              I wouldn't go that far. The variable pricing completely turns me off. Especially the non-sense they just pulled with the "no added fees" promotion. All they did was jack up the original prices for a few days.
              Earlier this season, when tickets originally went on sale, Mets season ticket holders were actually defending the Wilpon's pricing claiming 26 other teams do this too. So that makes it OK?

Tonight, there are 2 tickets in section 514, row 9 . $100 each plus convenience fee of $26 plus order fee of $6 for a grand total to sit in steerage of $232.00 The $32 fees go to the Mets too.
              There are no steerage seats available at Yankee Stadium for tomorrow's game, but I purchased a pair for $32 each from the NYY with ticketmaster fees of $12 for a grand total of $76, basically the same seats but I am a few rows lower at YS.
              Yet, there are people here on this forum who actually support Fred and Lil Jeff for hosing the fan base . $232 versus $76 to see the same 2 teams with very similar seats in the same city. :gt

Comment

Earlier this season, when tickets originally went on sale, Mets season ticket holders were actually defending the Wilpon's pricing claiming 26 other teams do this too. So that makes it OK?

Tonight, there are 2 tickets in section 514, row 9 . $100 each plus convenience fee of $26 plus order fee of $6 for a grand total to sit in steerage of $232.00 The $32 fees go to the Mets too.
                There are no steerage seats available at Yankee Stadium for tomorrow's game, but I purchased a pair for $32 each from the NYY with ticketmaster fees of $12 for a grand total of $76, basically the same seats but I am a few rows lower at YS.
                Yet, there are people here on this forum who actually support Fred and Lil Jeff for hosing the fan base . $232 versus $76 to see the same 2 teams with very similar seats in the same city. :gt
                The best part is how everybody supported Coupon Field's slashed upper bowl seating: 15,000 fewer seats. Most still did after the Great Amateur Scalper Massacre in 2009. Most still do.

It took a while before some admitted it was about hanky panky with supply and demand and not "intimacy". (The mall has sprawl.) Some never will.

Somehow the organization always has to be right, even when it's wrong.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by PatNYM View Post
                  I don't know about those in their late-30s as being spoiled. I'm 40, so not much older than them, and growing up, the Yankees fans around my age were pretty miserable until 1996. I haven't heard a single yankee fan say they are not happy with the sell-off. The issue, is if it takes 2 years, will they still show up to watch the kids develop, will they still tune in? If not, then they better realize it will be hard for their management to justify doing this again if necessary down the line.
                  I have heard unhappy Yankee fans with the "give up". Although it was a great weekend for the Yankees future.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                    Most fans hate the Wilpons. Most fans don't have a strong opinion on Alderson and the Wally Backman chants died off 2 years ago with Collins.
                    So you never hear anyone complain about Alderson or Collins? Have you read this forum for starters? There is a whole thread that wanted Alderson fired 10 minutes after he took the job.

Never mind the forum - fans really redirect the blame that the owner should get on the GM. They confuse the person writing the checks.

Comment

Sandy Alderson divulged today that they locked up Reyes for next year!
                      I thought those charges were dropped.
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                        I thought those charges were dropped.
                        Good work right there.

Comment

So you never hear anyone complain about Alderson or Collins? Have you read this forum for starters? There is a whole thread that wanted Alderson fired 10 minutes after he took the job.

Never mind the forum - fans really redirect the blame that the owner should get on the GM. They confuse the person writing the checks.
                          Not nearly as much as I hear the hatred over the Wilpons. I can't stand them myself.

Comment

Good work right there.
                            Indeed, that was well played!

Comment

Not nearly as much as I hear the hatred over the Wilpons. I can't stand them myself.
                              Well at least the hatred is directed correctly because the Wilpons are the sole reason the Mets are the organization they are.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X