Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here we go again...Islanders could be Mets neighbors???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go again...Islanders could be Mets neighbors???

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/07/21/new...ys-center-mets

The New York Islanders are exploring a move to Queens with the help of the New York Mets, reports Bloomberg’s Scott Soshnick.

The Isles currently play in Brooklyn at the Barclays Center, an arena they share with the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets.

Talks about building a new, hockey-first arena in Willets Point, east of the Mets' home, Citi Field, have been in the works for months, according to Soshnick

The Isles completed their first season at Barclays this year, finishing a disappointing 28th in league attendance (13,626 per game), ahead of only the Arizona Coyotes and Carolina Hurricanes. The arena was criticized for being too small, with too many obstructed view seats, poor sight lines for hockey, and bad ice conditions.

The players were also reportedly less than happy with having to commute from their homes on Long Island and spend most of their game days in Brooklyn, basically making their entire home schedule feel like a slate of road dates.

The team moved to Barclays in 2015 after failing to acquire taxpayer money to renovate the Nassau Coliseum, the Isles' home since 1972.

In addition to having their very own home, the Queens location is desirable for the Islanders because it moves them closer to their traditional Long Island fan base while being easily accessible by car and mass transit.

Yep, like they didn't know that Barclay's was bad for hockey??? Let's see....getting all of the businesses evicted, somehow cleaning up the Love Canal, and someday building an Arena. Does this mean Fred's dream of the shopping mall is officially toast since NYC pulled out?

How many years down the road before the Islander/Nomads find a real home?

There's a bunch of chop shops and garbage where they are talking about building an arena. This is a good idea. Not a bad one. I'm not an Islanders fan (Rangers), but Barclay is a terrible place for hockey. I don't know what they were thinking when they moved there. Anything that can improve the dumpy neighborhood around Citi Field is a good thing.

Comment

As long as its placed in the area past the bullpen gate and not affecting parkland, that sounds great. US Open, Citi Field, Flushing Meadow Park, Queens Museum and Islanders Ice Arena. With the new LaGuardia airport maybe they can extend public transportation options even further.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
        There's a bunch of chop shops and garbage where they are talking about building an arena. This is a good idea. Not a bad one. I'm not an Islanders fan (Rangers), but Barclay is a terrible place for hockey. I don't know what they were thinking when they moved there. Anything that can improve the dumpy neighborhood around Citi Field is a good thing.
        We have a Willets Pt - Iron Triangle Thread somewhere buried that went on for pages and pages and was quite heated .

The main point if I recall correctly was the incredibly costly project of cleaning up the toxic waste . The land below those chop shops are a Love Canal .

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
          We have a Willets Pt - Iron Triangle Thread somewhere buried that went on for pages and pages and was quite heated .

The main point if I recall correctly was the incredibly costly project of cleaning up the toxic waste . The land below those chop shops are a Love Canal .
          As I recall the land doesn't just have toxins, it has pockets of flammable gas. I think Fred arranged a loophole that would allow him to weasel out of remediating the poison.

He's already been gifted the land, which will be worth billions once the city puts in infrastructure. He's also received a vast sum of "pre-development" money.

If Fred pays for the project out of pocket with no further hand-outs from the government and also remediates the toxins as promised, it might be something to take a look at - though the area is already saturated with hockey venues. If the free market dictates yet another hockey venue is necessary Fred should have no problem taking the risk of building one himself. Right?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
            As I recall the land doesn't just have toxins, it has pockets of flammable gas. I think Fred arranged a loophole that would allow him to weasel out of remediating the poison.

He's already been gifted the land, which will be worth billions once the city puts in infrastructure. He's also received a vast sum of "pre-development" money.

If Fred pays for the project out of pocket with no further hand-outs from the government and also remediates the toxins as promised, it might be something to take a look at - though the area is already saturated with hockey venues. If the free market dictates yet another hockey venue is necessary Fred should have no problem taking the risk of building one himself. Right?
            Why would the Wilpons pay anything? Do they have a controlling interest in the Islanders? Am I missing something here?I didn't think the two teams had any kind of relationship with one another.

Comment

Why would the Wilpons pay anything? Do they have a controlling interest in the Islanders? Am I missing something here?I didn't think the two teams had any kind of relationship with one another.
              I have no idea why , if the Islanders wanted a hockey arena, the Mets are involved - unless Fred actually owns the land. If he doesn't own the land, then he and the Mets shouldn't even be mentioned.

The Islanders belong in Nassau County somewhere. Renovate or rebuild the Coliseum .

Meadowlands Arena, Prudential Center, Barclays, Madison Square Garden, Nassau Coliseum - enough already. The Rangers sell out...the Devils and Isles don't. No more arenas financed with public money.

Comment

I have no idea why , if the Islanders wanted a hockey arena, the Mets are involved - unless Fred actually owns the land. If he doesn't own the land, then he and the Mets shouldn't even be mentioned.

The Islanders belong in Nassau County somewhere. Renovate or rebuild the Coliseum .

Meadowlands Arena, Prudential Center, Barclays, Madison Square Garden, Nassau Coliseum - enough already. The Rangers sell out...the Devils and Isles don't. No more arenas financed with public money.
                Yeah, Fred's offering to "build" the arena. If that's the case let him use his own money, not public money. Better yet, focus the money and attention on the Mets.

Why exactly was the Coliseum unsuitable for hockey? I know Islanders ownership had been trying to hustle a real estate development on the public coin and failed. Any other "reasons" the rink was no good for hockey?

Comment

Yeah, Fred's offering to "build" the arena. If that's the case let him use his own money, not public money. Better yet, focus the money and attention on the Mets.

Why exactly was the Coliseum unsuitable for hockey? I know Islanders ownership had been trying to hustle a real estate development on the public coin and failed. Any other "reasons" the rink was no good for hockey?
                  The NHL has a seat minimum agreed to under the last CBA that the "new" coliseum is well under. The citizens of the area voted down a tax to build a bigger coliseum because they are already taxed to death and Islanders ownership did not want to pick up the bill to build the coliseum big enough to fit league minimum standards.

The whole thing was really stupid since most Islanders fans have no interest in going to Brooklyn to see games nor do the players. To add insult to injury, many seats at Barclays have views that are completely obstructed. Ownership responded to complaints about obstructed views by saying that the fans in those seats should just watch the game on their iPhones (talk about lousy ownership). I wouldn't be surprised if the team ends up moving out of the state.

Comment

The NHL has a seat minimum agreed to under the last CBA that the "new" coliseum is well under. The citizens of the area voted down a tax to build a bigger coliseum because they are already taxed to death and Islanders ownership did not want to pick up the bill to build the coliseum big enough to fit league minimum standards.

The whole thing was really stupid since most Islanders fans have no interest in going to Brooklyn to see games nor do the players. To add insult to injury, many seats at Barclays have views that are completely obstructed. Ownership responded to complaints about obstructed views by saying that the fans in those seats should just watch the game on their iPhones (talk about lousy ownership). I wouldn't be surprised if the team ends up moving out of the state.
                    I mean the rink at the Coliseum. It's still there, right? Why don't they just go back?

Comment

I mean the rink at the Coliseum. It's still there, right? Why don't they just go back?
                      They can't because of the new CBA. They can play some games there, but they cannot play an entire season there.

Comment

They should move the Islanders to Quebec City. Problem solved. To many teams in the metropolitan area now, anyways.
                        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Because they had a horrendous lease, a horrendous arena. The County is not going to give the Isles a more favorable lease in exchange for the Isles picking up the tab on renovations.

Comment

I read on an Isles board they are tearing down the chop shops to make temporary long-term parking for Laguardia, for when Laguardia starts it's renovations.

The arena for the Isles would be going where Shea stood if it happens at all.

Comment

True, but the Isles fan who works in the city and lives on LI, can take the train to the game after work. Then, take the train home to any LIRR station not on the Pt Washington line. To do that at Citi would be a disaster. Have to go back to Woodside, then to Jamaica, then likely change to get your train home.

The obstructed view seats are very overblown and most seats with significant obstructions are not even sold. Yes, the iphone remark was quite dumb and the guy was lambasted for that.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X