2016 Mets Post Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Mets Post Season Thread

YAY! The Mets make the post season and for the second year in a row, we get to see October baseball!

Let's hope this goes more than 1 game. For now, the Mets have a lot of decisions to make. Now that everything is locked up, Duda absolutely must play tomorrow to see what he has in him. If he is healthy, you carry him and make him your staring first baseman in the WC Game. I do not want to hear anymore crap about Campbell or Ty Kelly staring that game. Neither one is anywhere near as good as Duda or Loney.

Now for the decisions:

Do the Mets carry Gsellman that game to back up Syndergaard if he doesn't have it? You really don't need to carry a lot of pitchers for the WC game, because the roster only has to be set for that game. This means the Mets should stack the bench with more offense than the would if they make the NLDS or the NLCS.

These are the guys I definitely carry:

C: Rene Rivera, Travis d'Arnaud (in that order)
    IF: TJ Rivera, Kelley Johnson, Lucas Duda, Jose Reyes, Asdrubel Cabrera
    OF: Yoenis Cespedes, Jay Bruce, Curtis Granderson, Juan Lagares (they need him for late defense)
    SP: Noah Syndergaard
    Long Relief: Robert Gsellman
    RP: Jeurys Familia, Addison Reed, Fernando Salas, Hansel Robles, Jerry Blevins

That leaves 7 slots. For those 7, I carry these guys:

Brandon Nimmo, Jim Henderson, Alejandro de Aza, Ty Kelly (Because he can pretty much play every position), Eric Campbell, Michael Conforto, Gabriel Ynoa.

This is just the WC Game I'm talking about. I can't even wrap my head around the NLDS until this team wins on Wednesday.

What are all of your thoughts?

Don't know about any of the above, but with all the changes in who qualifies and how a team qualifies &c., it's interesting to note that, presuming the Mets go as far as the LCS...

a. The Mets could conceivably play the Cubs, their '15 LCS rival, in the Division Series this year.

b. The Mets could conceivably play the Nationals, their division rival, in the League Championship Series.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
      I can't even wrap my head around the NLDS until this team wins on Wednesday.

My thoughts are EVERY TIME I see a Mets fan posting about AFTER Wednesday I wanna shake 'em and say STOP TEMPTING THE BASEBALL GODS!

Do you not remember "Oh, Harvey pitched well, and Familia's coming in, we've got this, Game 1, great start!"
      Do you not remember "OK, so the Royals had their say, but Thor and Co. got us Game 3 and we're just a few defensive outs away from tying this baby up..."
      Do you not remember "Harvey has been on FIRE, and the bullpen's been shaky this series--come out? NO WAY! Complete game win AND Mets lore, Har-vey, Har-ey!"

I wanna believe...I think they have a good chance...

But it IS an even year for the Giants...alternatively, that IS Yadier Molina at the plate again for the Cardinals...

Wednesday. First.
      Last edited by Shea Knight; 10-02-2016, 02:42 AM.
      "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

These are the guys I definitely carry:

C: Rene Rivera, Travis d'Arnaud (in that order)
        IF: TJ Rivera, Kelley Johnson, Lucas Duda, Jose Reyes, Asdrubel Cabrera
        OF: Yoenis Cespedes, Jay Bruce, Curtis Granderson, Juan Lagares (they need him for late defense)
        SP: Noah Syndergaard
        Long Relief: Robert Gsellman
        RP: Jeurys Familia, Addison Reed, Fernando Salas, Hansel Robles, Jerry Blevins

That leaves 7 slots. For those 7, I carry these guys:

Brandon Nimmo, Jim Henderson, Alejandro de Aza, Ty Kelly (Because he can pretty much play every position), Eric Campbell, Michael Conforto, Gabriel Ynoa.

This is just the WC Game I'm talking about. I can't even wrap my head around the NLDS until this team wins on Wednesday.

Some tough decisions. I would have loney on roster over Campbell. I have more confidence in him than Campbell even though he has been struggling, but he is also a defensive upgrade over Duda late innings. But that would leave too many left handed bats on the bench. I'm also not confident in nimmo at this point in his career so may keep loney and Campbell for the right handed bat and drop nimmo

For the pitchers, if the mets have to pitch Henderson or ynoa in a one game series than they are in trouble, anyway, and I don't see many options better for the back end of the bullpen. I haven't studied the cardinals or the Giants yet, so don't know if their batters are lefty or righty heavy. If the former, I might carry another lefty over ynoa. Although the choices seem to be gilmartin, edgin or smoker, and i have no confidence in any of them. If they are facing a righty heavy team, I might add Goeddel over ynoa

For now, just rooting for a cards win and giants loss today.

Comment

Let the postseason begin!

Comment

I am glad I don't have to make the roster decisions.

Literally everyone contributed at some point. I am just going to watch Wednesday,,,hope they smack that punk all over the park -- Look at him while they do it, and then move on.

The WC game is purgatory to the playoffs. Your in but not really just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
              alternatively, that IS Yadier Molina at the plate again for the Cardinals...
              Fortunately, this year we can respond by saying "Yadier who?"

My thoughts are EVERY TIME I see a Mets fan posting about AFTER Wednesday I wanna shake 'em and say STOP TEMPTING THE BASEBALL GODS!
              The baseball gods have already been messing with us.

At the beginning of 2015, we were looking at 2016 as "the" year, and 2015 was supposed to be the year we fine-tuned the team for 2016. Then we started winning, and winning, and then it was here come the Dodgers, and then it was there go the Dodgers, and then it was here come the Cubs, and then it was there go the Cubs, and then it was here come the Royals... and then it was there go the Mets. But in the context of what we were thinking at the beginning of 2015, just the fact that we were in the World Series - the Mets were in the World Series! - was enough. Dayenu.

And now, in 2016, the year that was supposed to be "our" year, we triumphed... for a while. Then we stumbled and fell. The "2015 National League Champions" logo, the ribbon ad at Citi Field from the advertiser who proclaimed themselves to be a "PROUD SPONSOR OF THE 2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION NEW YORK METS"... they were becoming tormenting reminders of something that we were thisclose to getting, like the girl that got away, the great job you didn't get, and we were never ever going to have another opportunity to get back there again. The 2016 postseason was for other teams, not the Mets.

And then, things turned around. Put it in the books - in ink. Crying that the postseason was for other teams, not us, is for other teams. The Mets are part of the postseason.

So, Wednesday night, it'll be like, here come the Giants, and then, it'll be like... like...

It's going to be a long 72 hours...
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?
              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Madison Bumgarner vs. Noah Syndergaard.

MadBum vs. Thor.

15-9 with an ERA of 2.74 and 251 strikeouts vs. 14-9 with an ERA of 2.60 and 218 strikeouts.

It doesn't get much better than that in today's pitching landscape...

A long 72 hours..........
                Last edited by Shea Knight; 10-04-2016, 12:33 AM.
                "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

The latest man of the minute who I hope show up Wednesday:

18RIVERAweb1-master768.jpg

Comment

Madison Bumgarner vs. Noah Syndergaard.

MadBum vs. Thor.

15-9 with an ERA of 2.74 and 251 strikeouts vs. 14-9 with an ERA of 2.60 and 218 strikeouts.

It doesn't get much better than that in today's pitching landscape...

A long72 hours..........
                    Excellent pitching match up.

My dislike for that over grown punk will make me watch with a little bit more intensity. If that's possible. Only to be offset by the camera panning the crowd to the morons in blonde wigs carrying hammers.

Buster Posey and Brandon Belt have been swinging the bat much better recently, and Span has been on fire.

The Mets have an advantage with the back end of the bullpen. Bochy has been using Romo again but he is not a sure thing, and if he has to use Casilla all bets are off there.
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 10-03-2016, 07:15 AM.

Comment

The MLB network crew last night all picked the Giants to win on Wednesday and why not?

If it's the last game of the season for the Metsies I hope it's a good, competitive one.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                        The MLB network crew last night all picked the Giants to win on Wednesday and why not?

If it's the last game of the season for the Metsies I hope it's a good, competitive one.
                        They are betting on the pedigree that Bumgarner brings and I don't blame them. The Giants have been there before. I hope the Mets write another script -- if they don't I hope the make it a great game.

Comment

My hope is the homer-hitting Mets do just that, hit one or two early and then have Salas/Reed/Familia ready to go the second Syndergaard starts to weaken...and if that happens too early in the game for them, we're in big-big-BIG trouble.

I'd take Loney's 14 ABs and .154 average vs. MadBum vs. Duda's...0-1. Keep Duda on the bench for a late-game pinch-hitting situation...and Loney's also better defense.

Rene Rivera vs. MadBum: 3 ABs, 2 hits--a double and a HR--and 5 RBIs, and better defense than the hitless d'Arnaud.

Comment

The Mets are now leaning toward Robert Gsellman in Game 1 and Bartolo Colon in Game 2 against the Cubs if the Mets advance, and provided Gsellman goes unused in the wild-card game, according to the Post's Mike Puma. Terry Collins previously had mentioned Colon as the Game 1 and 5 starter. I've heard the Mets are concerned about how Colon would fare against the Cubs, more so than Gsellman and fellow rookie Seth Lugo.

https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/st...33222847737856
                            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

I am pretty jacked up for tonights game.

I love elimination games. Nothing is better in sports than playing a game with no safety net of "well we will get them tomorrow". I know the WC card thing isn't going anywhere - so with that I hope they never make this 2 out of 3. Yes its tough for it all to come down to one game after 162..

My answer - Tighten your skirt Nancy if you don't like it win your division. End of answer

Anyway....I am loving the opportunity that the Mets have to face Bumgarner. Win or lose -- lets face your best.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X