2016-17 Mets Off-Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Familia only gets 15 games.

I think that is a little odd considering what everyone else received. Although I am a Met fan I don't like that he received basically nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      Familia only gets 15 games.

I think that is a little odd considering what everyone else received. Although I am a Met fan I don't like that he received basically nothing.
      I thought it would be 30 game suspension like Chapman. Difference may be that Chapman fired a gun.

Comment

Familia only gets 15 games.

Different circumstances, from what's been reported. No actual physical violence in case, but perceived threat of.
        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
          Different circumstances, from what's been reported. No actual physical violence in case, but perceived threat of.
          I hear what you are saying but....

Bruises, scratches, knives, police. The wife had bruises on her face and the story was she got them because she fell asleep resting her face on her hand face and it bruised her.

At some point common sense has to kick in, but maybe not.

Comment

I hear what you are saying but....

Bruises, scratches, knives, police. The wife had bruises on her face and the story was she got them because she fell asleep resting her face on her hand face and it bruised her.

At some point common sense has to kick in, but maybe not.
            Yeah, Familia was actually suspended for "inappropriate conduct" and not assault. Some details here:
            https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/s...ence.html?_r=0

I tend to always assume the worst in the cases, btw. And it's an epidemic that pro sports can - and should - play a leadership role in combating. But it does seem like this was a "one sizes doesn't fit all" situation.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Straw

You raise a very good point. He was suspended for inappropriate conduct. So what constitutes "inappropriate conduct"? This is a issue which does need to be confronted on a social level..

My point is that if MLB uses the concept of inappropriate conduct, how many others need to be suspended? I totally agree with the fact he should be suspended for his actions but not for this reason.

Every major athlete that threatens his wife/girlfriend should be suspended. However, as in most cases, the wife/girlfriend refuses to press charges for some reason or another.

We as a society, treat this behavior too lightly.

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
              Yeah, Familia was actually suspended for "inappropriate conduct" and not assault. Some details here:
              https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/s...ence.html?_r=0

I tend to always assume the worst in the cases, btw. And it's an epidemic that pro sports can - and should - play a leadership role in combating. But it does seem like this was a "one sizes doesn't fit all" situation.
              North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post
                Straw

You raise a very good point. He was suspended for inappropriate conduct. So what constitutes "inappropriate conduct"? This is a issue which does need to be confronted on a social level..

My point is that if MLB uses the concept of inappropriate conduct, how many others need to be suspended? I totally agree with the fact he should be suspended for his actions but not for this reason.

Every major athlete that threatens his wife/girlfriend should be suspended. However, as in most cases, the wife/girlfriend refuses to press charges for some reason or another.

We as a society, treat this behavior too lightly.
                Lets face it the wife/girlfriend doesn't press charges because the guy they are going to get suspended or jailed is also making millions of dollars a year which they reap the benefit of. Lets be honest - Money has everything to do with just about everything. This isn't different. So the cops get called to make it stop, but they don't want the guy in jail or suspended so they drop the charges.

The term inappropriate conduct is complete 100% copout. There are so many things that can fall into that category it would take all day to count them up.

His wife had bruises, and scratches. There were two knives in the bathroom. The reasoning for the bruises is absurd..so much so that a 5 year old wouldn't believe it. What do you think was happening in this situation? Nobody knows for sure because we weren't there, but again...common sense tell you what?

Comment

• Pauly, I agree with you 100%. You know they are not going to damage their lifestyle... And we both know that MLB's attempt at "punishment" is a feeble attempt to clean up the games/players image.

Then again, look at MLB's attempt to discipline any player...It's a sad comment on all sports.

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  Lets face it the wife/girlfriend doesn't press charges because the guy they are going to get suspended or jailed is also making millions of dollars a year which they reap the benefit of. Lets be honest - Money has everything to do with just about everything. This isn't different. So the cops get called to make it stop, but they don't want the guy in jail or suspended so they drop the charges.

The term inappropriate conduct is complete 100% copout. There are so many things that can fall into that category it would take all day to count them up.

His wife had bruises, and scratches. There were two knives in the bathroom. The reasoning for the bruises is absurd..so much so that a 5 year old wouldn't believe it. What do you think was happening in this situation? Nobody knows for sure because we weren't there, but again...common sense tell you what?
                  North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• It's the 6th inning and Lugo has a low pitch count. WTF is Siewald and Blevins doing warming up???

Comment

• Lugo pulled. Siewald in. This game will be 10-7 in a few minutes and I will not be surprised if this game ends up 14-11 Giants.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X