2017 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Mets Season Thread

Well, Spring Training is over. The season's about to start. Injuries so far haven't been anything unexpected. The team is ready to go with some pretty nice talent in a lot of areas.

I would have allocated the monies spent on Walker and Bruce towards a stronger bullpen and gone with Flores and Conforto, but I could see the two veterans putting up good numbers. I would also have put together a package for Lucroy last season; makes no sense hanging onto Conforto if you're going to start Bruce. Lucroy is also the kind of bat the Mets lineup needs. I can understand why they're going with d'Arnaud, but it's a gamble since he's seldom healthy and offers little consistency as a result.

A few of us have advocated acquiring some more contact hitters, but the pitching will be the team's strength regardless. Syndergaard and deGrom have looked good. The progress of Harvey and Wheeler has been encouraging. Matz is having trouble staying healthy but Gsellman and Lugo appear capable.

The failure of the Nats to strengthen their bullpen leaves the door open for the Mets to take the division, though the Nats' lineup is potentially scary. I think the Braves could make some noise and the Phillies have a potentially good starting rotation. The Marlins have some talent. I think the improved division will cut into the Mets' win total, which conservatively should be around 87. Same team as last season, hopefully more health but a stronger division = probably a similar win total to last year's.

What do you think?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

I totally missed on what they were doing with 3B. Was it Reyes with a little Flores mixed in? Flores could be a stealth key player, if he can get used to inconsistent ABs. A 260 20 HR season in @ 400 AB would be huge. The whole who plays where between OF and 1B still seems unsettled to me as well. Perhaps I should read the papers or here more carefully or that's just how it is. At any rate I found myself agreeing with everything in Mongoose's post. 87-91 wins sounds right to me.

Comment

I also agree with Mongoose.
      Mets need to find a way to beat the Nats. They haven't done that successfully in years.
      Also doing better against Az and Colorado wouldn't hurt.

Health is key. If Cespedes could play more than the 130 games he was in last year, and Duda, Reyes, Conforto, Bruce, Granderson and d'Arnaud so something - wow.

Comment

Mets will win the east , probably by a comfortable margin. IF they are healthy, I see about 95 wins. Hopefully, stay away from the wild card play off game...always the chance to see Bumgarner or Kershaw in a do or die game.

Mets, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and maybe the Nationals in the post season. Cubs over Red Sox in WS. (I still have a hard time with Cubs being the WS champs).

Mets will only miss post season if the pitching staff experiences major injuries, especially to Noah.

Most likely to have a rebound season : Bruce.
        Potential NL MVP: Cespedes.
        Biggest positive surprise: Harvey wins at least 15 games.
        Date David Wright is announced as done for the season : August 1st
        Date d'Arnaud goes on the DL for the first time: June 30
        Potential negative 'surprise': Reyes goes on DL

Comment

The Mets should be competitive all year. I can see them winning the division with a lot of IF's going the Mets way. I feel they need to find offense from at least two other sources other than Cespedes. By offense I mean career years or something from someone we didn't see coming.

Personally I don't like the construction of the roster as it is way too lopsided towards pitching. I can see their offense leaving the pitching out to dry on too many occasions as we have seen before.

If the Mets win the Division I like their chances probably as much as anyone to move on because I feel pitching is much more important in a short series than it is over 162 game grind where it takes a full roster.

Just glad the season is here.

Comment

I do this every year.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Fangraphs projected standings
              http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts...tion=Standings

Washington 91-71
              New York 86-76
              Miami 79-83
              Atlanta 73-89
              Philadelphia 72-90

Comment

95 wins?? Isn't that a bit of Mets optimism?? Fighting for the division..yes..beating the Nats??? That's a bit more problematic

95 wins?? Isn't that a bit of Mets optimismQUOTE=mandrake;2633061]Mets will win the east , probably by a comfortable margin. IF they are healthy, I see about 95 wins. Hopefully, stay away from the wild card play off game...always the chance to see Bumgarner or Kershaw in a do or die game.

Mets, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and maybe the Nationals in the post season. Cubs over Red Sox in WS. (I still have a hard time with Cubs being the WS champs).

Mets will only miss post season if the pitching staff experiences major injuries, especially to Noah.

Most likely to have a rebound season : Bruce.
                Potential NL MVP: Cespedes.
                Biggest positive surprise: Harvey wins at least 15 games.
                Date d'Arnaud goes on the DL for the first time: June 30
                Potential negative 'surprise': Reyes goes on DL[/QUOTE]
                North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

A chance for the Mets to make the playoffs three straight years for the first time ever...with one of the best outfielders in the game and the best staff in the league if, as Pauly says they can stay on the field. It IS good we have decent depth there besides the Big Four, especially with Matz is already nursing that violin string of an arm of his.) We should be able to look forward to a good battle for the division. This is the best shot they've had in over a decade to win it all if they stay healthy, if they win the division, if they have that Big Four (and the others on hand for long-relief) in the playoffs. And, of course, if Cespedes stays healthy and the offense can score enough to be decent enough to support the super staff.

If, if, if, if, if, as Pauly would say.

BUT "if" is for the other 161 games of the season. The long winter gives way to spring, hope springs eternal, and here we are again--Opening Day.
                  Last edited by Shea Knight; 04-03-2017, 05:14 AM.
                  "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                    A chance for the Mets to make the playoffs three straight years for the first time ever...with one of the best outfielders in the game and the best staff in the league if, as Pauly says they can stay on the field. It IS good we have decent depth there besides the Big Four, especially with Matz is already nursing that violin string of an arm of his.) We should be able to look forward to a good battle for the division. This is the best shot they've had in over a decade to win it all if they stay healthy, if they win the division, if they have that Big Four (and the others on hand for long-relief) in the playoffs. And, of course, if Cespedes stays healthy and the offense can score enough to be decent enough to support the super staff.

If, if, if, if, if, as Pauly would say.

BUT "if" is for the other 161 games of the season. The long winter gives way to spring, hope springs eternal, and here we are again--Opening Day.
                    Well have it at today then. We can discuss the IF's tomorrow.

Comment

This is the best day of the year. Opening Day!!!

I am enthusiastic about this team.

I think the rotation will end up settling into Syndergaard, deGrom, Harvey, Gsellman with Wheeler/Matz/Lugo filling the role of the 5th spot and with a spot start or two from Montero.
                      The batting lineup can be formidable if they stay healthy. Defensively, the team is very suspect. Overall, I expect the team to win 90-95 games and be playing meaningful baseball in October. Anything less will be disappointing.

I wish Conforto was in the starting lineup, but next year, both he and Rosario and possibly Smith will be on the team. Things are a lot better than they were 5 years ago. Here's to a good season! :gt

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                        This is the best day of the year. Opening Day!!!

I am enthusiastic about this team.

I think the rotation will end up settling into Syndergaard, deGrom, Harvey, Gsellman with Wheeler/Matz/Lugo filling the role of the 5th spot and with a spot start or two from Montero.
                        The batting lineup can be formidable if they stay healthy. Defensively, the team is very suspect. Overall, I expect the team to win 90-95 games and be playing meaningful baseball in October. Anything less will be disappointing.

I wish Conforto was in the starting lineup, but next year, both he and Rosario and possibly Smith will be on the team. Things are a lot better than they were 5 years ago. Here's to a good season! :gt
                        Agreed - this team is in much better shape than they were opening day 2012 - when you we knew it was a team that was just playing out the season.

There are some expectations now for this team which is a very good thing.

I think and I hope that Conforto is going to establish himself as an everyday player while hitting in the middle of the order at some point this year. The Mets are going to need that. The rest of the lineup you know just about where they are - Conforto is the wild card in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post
                          Speaking of optimistic...

You are expecting Wright to stay healthy for FOUR MONTHS!!!
                          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                          2. Barry Bonds
                          3. Ty Cobb
                          4. Ted Williams
                          5. Willie Mays
                          6. Alex Rodriguez
                          7. Hank Aaron
                          8. Honus Wagner
                          9. Lou Gehrig
                          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                            Speaking of optimistic...

You are expecting Wright to stay healthy for FOUR MONTHS!!!
                            I will be surprised if he plays any games. He currently has a herniated disc in his back that is aggravated by his spinal stenosis and a problem with his shoulder. I feel bad for the guy. He's falling apart physically.

Comment

Mets win!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X