Announcement

Collapse

Updated Baseball Fever Policy

Baseball Fever Policy

I. Purpose of this announcement:

This announcement describes the policies pertaining to the operation of Baseball Fever.

Baseball Fever is a moderated baseball message board which encourages and facilitates research and information exchange among fans of our national pastime. The intent of the Baseball Fever Policy is to ensure that Baseball Fever remains an extremely high quality, extremely low "noise" environment.

Baseball Fever is administrated by three principal administrators:
webmaster - Baseball Fever Owner
The Commissioner - Baseball Fever Administrator
Macker - Baseball Fever Administrator

And a group of forum specific super moderators. The role of the moderator is to keep Baseball Fever smoothly and to screen posts for compliance with our policy. The moderators are ALL volunteer positions, so please be patient and understanding of any delays you might experience in correspondence.

II. Comments about our policy:

Any suggestions on this policy may be made directly to the webmaster.

III. Acknowledgments:

This document was based on a similar policy used by SABR.

IV. Requirements for participation on Baseball Fever:

Participation on Baseball Fever is available to all baseball fans with a valid email address, as verified by the forum's automated system, which then in turn creates a single validated account. Multiple accounts by a single user are prohibited.

By registering, you agree to adhere to the policies outlined in this document and to conduct yourself accordingly. Abuse of the forum, by repeated failure to abide by these policies, will result in your access being blocked to the forum entirely.

V. Baseball Fever Netiquette:

Participants at Baseball Fever are required to adhere to these principles, which are outlined in this section.
a. All posts to Baseball Fever should be written in clear, concise English, with proper grammar and accurate spelling. The use of abbreviations should be kept to a minimum; when abbreviation is necessary, they should be either well-known (such as etc.), or explained on their first use in your post.

b. Conciseness is a key attribute of a good post.

c. Quote only the portion of a post to which you are responding.

d. Standard capitalization and punctuation make a large difference in the readability of a post. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS is considered to be "shouting"; it is a good practice to limit use of all capitals to words which you wish to emphasize.

e. It is our policy NOT to transmit any defamatory or illegal materials.

f. Personal attacks of any type against Baseball Fever readers will not be tolerated. In these instances the post will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the personal attack via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue personal attacks will be banned from the site.

g. It is important to remember that many contextual clues available in face-to-face discussion, such as tone of voice and facial expression, are lost in the electronic forum. As a poster, try to be alert for phrasing that might be misinterpreted by your audience to be offensive; as a reader, remember to give the benefit of the doubt and not to take umbrage too easily. There are many instances in which a particular choice of words or phrasing can come across as being a personal attack where none was intended.

h. The netiquette described above (a-g) often uses the term "posts", but applies equally to Private Messages.

VI. Baseball Fever User Signature Policy

A signature is a piece of text that some members may care to have inserted at the end of ALL of their posts, a little like the closing of a letter. You can set and / or change your signature by editing your profile in the UserCP. Since it is visible on ALL your posts, the following policy must be adhered to:

Signature Composition
Font size limit: No larger than size 2 (This policy is a size 2)
Style: Bold and italics are permissible
Character limit: No more than 500 total characters
Lines: No more than 4 lines
Colors: Most colors are permissible, but those which are hard to discern against the gray background (yellow, white, pale gray) should be avoided
Images/Graphics: Allowed, but nothing larger than 20k and Content rules must be followed

Signature Content
No advertising is permitted
Nothing political or religious
Nothing obscene, vulgar, defamatory or derogatory
Links to personal blogs/websites are permissible - with the webmaster's written consent
A Link to your Baseball Fever Blog does not require written consent and is recommended
Quotes must be attributed. Non-baseball quotes are permissible as long as they are not religious or political

Please adhere to these rules when you create your signature. Failure to do so will result in a request to comply by a moderator. If you do not comply within a reasonable amount of time, the signature will be removed and / or edited by an Administrator. Baseball Fever reserves the right to edit and / or remove any or all of your signature line at any time without contacting the account holder.

VII. Appropriate and inappropriate topics for Baseball Fever:

Most concisely, the test for whether a post is appropriate for Baseball Fever is: "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?" This post can be direct or indirect: posing a question, asking for assistance, providing raw data or citations, or discussing and constructively critiquing existing posts. In general, a broad interpretation of "baseball related" is used.

Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed. If advertising is posted to the site it will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the post via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue advertising will be banned from the site. If the advertising is spam-related, pornography-based, or a "visit-my-site" type post / private message, no warning at all will be provided, and the member will be banned immediately without a warning.

It is considered appropriate to post a URL to a page which specifically and directly answers a question posted on the list (for example, it would be permissible to post a link to a page containing home-road splits, even on a site which has advertising or other commercial content; however, it would not be appropriate to post the URL of the main page of the site). The site reserves the right to limit the frequency of such announcements by any individual or group.

In keeping with our test for a proper topic, posting to Baseball Fever should be treated as if you truly do care. This includes posting information that is, to the best of your knowledge, complete and accurate at the time you post. Any errors or ambiguities you catch later should be acknowledged and corrected in the thread, since Baseball Fever is sometimes considered to be a valuable reference for research information.

VIII. Role of the moderator:

When a post is submitted to Baseball Fever, it is forwarded by the server automatically and seen immediately. The moderator may:
a. Leave the thread exactly like it was submitted. This is the case 95% of the time.

b. Immediately delete the thread as inappropriate for Baseball Fever. Examples include advertising, personal attacks, or spam. This is the case 1% of the time.

c. Move the thread. If a member makes a post about the Marlins in the Yankees forum it will be moved to the appropriate forum. This is the case 3% of the time.

d. Edit the message due to an inappropriate item. This is the case 1% of the time. There have been new users who will make a wonderful post, then add to their signature line (where your name / handle appears) a tagline that is a pure advertisement. This tagline will be removed, a note will be left in the message so he/she is aware of the edit, and personal contact will be made to the poster telling them what has been edited and what actions need to be taken to prevent further edits.

The moderators perform no checks on posts to verify factual or logical accuracy. While he/she may point out gross errors in factual data in replies to the thread, the moderator does not act as an "accuracy" editor. Also moderation is not a vehicle for censorship of individuals and/or opinions, and the moderator's decisions should not be taken personally.

IX. Legal aspects of participation in Baseball Fever:

By submitting a post to Baseball Fever, you grant Baseball Fever permission to distribute your message to the forum. Other rights pertaining to the post remain with the ORIGINAL author, and you may not redistribute or retransmit any posts by any others, in whole or in part, without the express consent of the original author.

The messages appearing on Baseball Fever contain the opinions and views of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of Baseball Fever, or of the Baseball Almanac family of sites.

Sincerely,

Sean Holtz, Webmaster of Baseball Almanac & Baseball Fever
www.baseball-almanac.com | www.baseball-fever.com
"Baseball Almanac: Sharing Baseball. Sharing History."
See more
See less

2017 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    They are

    1) Home Runs
    2) Strikeouts
    3) Walks
    That is indeed a big problem. It is okay if that is the formula for your 3,4,5 hitters. Your 1,2 hitters should be all about getting on base and your 6 and 7 hitters a hybrid of the two. Next season will be an interesting gauge of how into this philosophy Alderson really is as Rosario and Smith are both primarily contact hitters and TJ Rivera is all contact/line drives and all are or will be major league ready by next season.

    For this season, I am tired of seeing the same formula paulypal summed up very well and want to see Flores and Conforto in the lineup more. Every season it seems like the team ends up with a washed up player who hits .200 or below with no real production and it is tiring to see. It is also very boring to watch players strike out a million times or hit a homerun. These stats crunchers who want everyone swinging to lift the ball every at bat, hit a home run or strike out, and overshift everyone because of these new hitting initiatives are starting to make the games unwatchable.
    Last edited by jjpm74; 04-19-2017, 12:18 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
      It never seems like we have any of those "lights out" guys in the bullpen that you see on other teams. Oddly, does the offense have any high OBP guys? It doesn't strike me that they do, and a check of last year's stats shows Cespedes led the team with .354. Only Walker and TJ Rivera were over .340. That seems low to me and probably explains the seeming disproportion of solo homers. I guess shouldn't complain, it could be 1978.
      Familia is a lights out guy as long as it's not a post-season game.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
        Familia is a lights out guy as long as it's not a post-season game.
        His 15 game suspension highlights that he is needed. He'll need adjustment time no doubt and warmer weather in NY should help as well.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
          That is indeed a big problem. It is okay if that is the formula for your 3,4,5 hitters. Your 1,2 hitters should be all about getting on base and your 6 and 7 hitters a hybrid of the two. Next season will be an interesting gauge of how into this philosophy Alderson really is as Rosario and Smith are both primarily contact hitters and TJ Rivera is all contact/line drives and all are or will be major league ready by next season.

          For this season, I am tired of seeing the same formula paulypal summed up very well and want to see Flores and Conforto in the lineup more. Every season it seems like the team ends up with a washed up player who hits .200 or below with no real production and it is tiring to see. It is also very boring to watch players strike out a million times or hit a homerun. These stats crunchers who want everyone swinging to lift the ball every at bat, hit a home run or strike out, and overshift everyone because of these new hitting initiatives are starting to make the games unwatchable.
          We have lived through the Sabremetrics era and we will continue to do so, but Sabremetrics is not the end all in baseball statistics. In fact the geniuses that live and die by it sometimes are clueless. Anyone that tells you a strikeout is just another out is quite simply.............well they are just a complete idiot. They should find a new hobby.

          The Three True Outcome approach is an epidemic baseball, but I think it is a horrid place to be.

          They talk about pace of game of keep the game moving, but how exciting is it to see K after K after K.

          Everything happens in cycles - next the contact hitter will be the in demand player.
          Last edited by Paulypal; 04-20-2017, 05:54 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            We have lived through the Sabremetrics era and we will continue to do so, but Sabremetrics is not the end all in baseball statistics. In fact the geniuses that live and die by it sometimes are clueless. Anyone that tells you a strikeout is just another out is quite simply.............well they are just an complete idiot. They should find a new hobby.

            The Three True Outcome approach is an epidemic baseball, but I think it is a horrid place to be.

            They talk about pace of game of keep the game moving, but how exciting is it to see K after K after K.

            Everything happens in cycles - next the contact hitter will be the in demand player.
            One of my all time favorite teams to watch were the mid 1980s Cardinals teams. They were a very successful franchise with flashy defense, very little in the way of power (Jack Clark being the exception) and fast runners. I also loved that about the mid 80s Mets with players like Wally Backman. I hope you're right that this is cyclical. Everything seems like it is a home run, a fly ball, or a strikeout these days and pitch counts and innings limits seem to bow supercede everything. There is absolutely no way even two years ago Don Mattingly lifts his SP while riding a no hitter in the 7th:

            http://m.mlb.com/news/article/225192...-during-no-no/

            Comment


            • Mets win 5-4, Jay Bruce hit two homers.
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

              Comment


              • I was one of the few in attendance. Not helped by 7 Train switch problems and cold weather. Scary but fun.

                Comment


                • Totally agree with you about saber metrics Pauly..Statistics are simply statistics and use them as you may. Come the contact hitter..come the statistics and the idiotic high contracts that will be paid to someone who simply has a higher contact rate with the bat and ball..

                  Can't wait till we get back to the Play for the Love of the Game phase..But that will never happen in either mine or my grandchildren lifetimes.



                  Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  We have lived through the Sabremetrics era and we will continue to do so, but Sabremetrics is not the end all in baseball statistics. In fact the geniuses that live and die by it sometimes are clueless. Anyone that tells you a strikeout is just another out is quite simply.............well they are just an complete idiot. They should find a new hobby.

                  The Three True Outcome approach is an epidemic baseball, but I think it is a horrid place to be.

                  They talk about pace of game of keep the game moving, but how exciting is it to see K after K after K.

                  Everything happens in cycles - next the contact hitter will be the in demand player.
                  North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                    One of my all time favorite teams to watch were the mid 1980s Cardinals teams. They were a very successful franchise with flashy defense, very little in the way of power (Jack Clark being the exception) and fast runners. I also loved that about the mid 80s Mets with players like Wally Backman. I hope you're right that this is cyclical. Everything seems like it is a home run, a fly ball, or a strikeout these days and pitch counts and innings limits seem to bow supercede everything. There is absolutely no way even two years ago Don Mattingly lifts his SP while riding a no hitter in the 7th:

                    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/225192...-during-no-no/
                    Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post
                    Totally agree with you about saber metrics Pauly..Statistics are simply statistics and use them as you may. Come the contact hitter..come the statistics and the idiotic high contracts that will be paid to someone who simply has a higher contact rate with the bat and ball..

                    Can't wait till we get back to the Play for the Love of the Game phase..But that will never happen in either mine or my grandchildren lifetimes.
                    Don't get me wrong I love the power aspect of the game. Homers are my favorite thing by far, but I also recognize the other aspects of the game.Sabremetrics has taken the worst thing a player can do on consistent basis and made it no big deal. Strikeout. That is a huge pet peeve of mine.

                    JJ - bringing up those Cardinals teams just brings back bad 1985 & 1987 memories for me. Jack Clark was a beast, and watching Herzog run circles around Davey Johnson still makes me ill thinking about it.

                    Although I must say I do agree with trying to hit the ball from a line drive up. "hit the ball down" was a mantra that was effective when played on plastic grass. Hitting the ball on the ground has its place in certain spots but really was an overrated approach.

                    Brooklyn - I like Sabremetrics for the most part, but some of it you can tell, if you watch baseball, was made up by egg heads that really don't grasp the game. Most of it is exceptional analysis, but not all of it.

                    I watch a lot of the MLB Network (I know I need a life), and guys like Brian Kenny who live and die by the numbers but you can tell just doesn't really grasp the great nuances of the game. This has dampened what the game is. They think the players are robots. They completely discount the mental part of the game for the player. Baseball has always been a statistically driven game but nowadays it has become the only thing that counts.

                    The games are becoming just the source of information to run through the computer, and computer data is now the real game.

                    Another pet peeve of mine is that Wins don't really mean anything for a pitcher. B.S.. Every pitcher wants the W next to his name.

                    Also - I have to slightly disagree with you Brooklyn. I believe that the players do love the game. Very very difficult to become one of handful of the greatest in the world at something without loving it. Money has corrupted and interfered with the periphery of the game. The core of the game has been and always will be the players that play.
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 04-20-2017, 09:00 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      Don't get me wrong I love the power aspect of the game. Homers are my favorite thing by far, but I also recognize the other aspects of the game.Sabremetrics has taken the worst thing a player can do on consistent basis and made it no big deal. Strikeout. That is a huge pet peeve of mine.

                      JJ - bringing up those Cardinals teams just brings back bad 1985 & 1987 memories for me. Jack Clark was a beast, and watching Herzog run circles around Davey Johnson still makes me ill thinking about it.

                      Although I must say I do agree with trying to hit the ball from a line drive up. "hit the ball down" was a mantra that was effective when played on plastic grass. Hitting the ball on the ground has its place in certain spots but really was an overrated approach.

                      Brooklyn - I like Sabremetrics for the most part, but some of it you can tell, if you watch baseball, was made up by egg heads that really don't grasp the game. Most of it is exceptional analysis, but not all of it.

                      I watch a lot of the MLB Network (I know I need a life), and guys like Brian Kenny who live and die by the numbers but you can tell just doesn't really grasp the great nuances of the game. This has dampened what the game is. They think the players are robots. They completely discount the mental part of the game for the player. Baseball has always been a statistically driven game but nowadays it has become the only thing that counts.

                      The games are becoming just the source of information to run through the computer, and computer data is now the real game.

                      Another pet peeve of mine is that Wins don't really mean anything for a pitcher. B.S.. Every pitcher wants the W next to his name.

                      Also - I have to slightly disagree with you Brooklyn. I believe that the players do love the game. Very very difficult to become one of handful of the greatest in the world at something without loving it. Money has corrupted and interfered with the periphery of the game. The core of the game has been and always will be the players that play.
                      Very good topic, too bad I am arriving late to the game! I think the experts are getting it all wrong. Baseball will never have as much physical action as Football, Hockey or Basketball. Trying to compete will just screw up what the game was meant to be. Baseball is a think and react game. I tell the kids that I coach that if they are bored playing baseball they are not doing it right. There are multiple scenarios that should be going through players heads while they are standing at their positions supposedly doing nothing. They should be ready and have already thought out each scenerio once the ball finally finds them. Their ability to know what to do BEFORE it happens is what will make them good players.

                      Give me a team that was mentioned like the 80s Cardinals who put the ball in play and make todays defense have to react and I will guarantee you a lot of games will be won because the defense makes mental errors due to not properly planning ahead for what might happen.

                      It is a very tough skill to teach young people but one that I feel is essential for players to be successful whether they are 13 year old kids or professional athletes.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                        Very good topic, too bad I am arriving late to the game! I think the experts are getting it all wrong. Baseball will never have as much physical action as Football, Hockey or Basketball. Trying to compete will just screw up what the game was meant to be. Baseball is a think and react game. I tell the kids that I coach that if they are bored playing baseball they are not doing it right. There are multiple scenarios that should be going through players heads while they are standing at their positions supposedly doing nothing. They should be ready and have already thought out each scenerio once the ball finally finds them. Their ability to know what to do BEFORE it happens is what will make them good players.

                        Give me a team that was mentioned like the 80s Cardinals who put the ball in play and make todays defense have to react and I will guarantee you a lot of games will be won because the defense makes mental errors due to not properly planning ahead for what might happen.

                        It is a very tough skill to teach young people but one that I feel is essential for players to be successful whether they are 13 year old kids or professional athletes.
                        I don't think the pro players would be caught napping against a team like the 80's Cards. At that level I think the fundamentals - for the most part - are in place. There are players that just get there on sheer physical ability. Bernie Williams comes to mind. He just didn't have as they say a very high baseball IQ, but his physical tools made up for it. Then you have players like Arod and Jeter that had all the right instincts on the field.

                        I agree trying to compete with the other 3 sports on physical action level is a losing battle for baseball, but baseball can still do a lot to keep the pace moving. Most of the things will not happen because of the players union.

                        Baseball is so much different than the other sports - first of all its the only game where the defense has the ball.

                        Also you never know what defensive player is suddenly going to become the "quarterback" of the defense with the ball and have to make the correct play. To your point there are so many variables that defenders have to run through their head on any given situation. With that there is also the chance none of it happens.
                        Last edited by Paulypal; 04-20-2017, 01:07 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Mets activate Jeurys Familia, promote Kevin Plawecki and demote Rafael Montero and Sean Gilmartin:
                          https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...uspension.html

                          If Plawecki is coming up, is d'arnaud injured? He left last night's game for Rene Rivera.
                          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                          Comment


                          • The Mets were a mess tonight.

                            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                              The Mets were a mess tonight.

                              At least the Rangers won to take the series to 3-2 in their favor going back to the Garden!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                                At least the Rangers won to take the series to 3-2 in their favor going back to the Garden!
                                As long as the Rangers are in the playoffs, I practically tune out baseball. In fact, watch playoff hockey - any teams- and switch over to a half empty baseball park and it becomes close to watching paint dry. Once the Rangers are done, and the playoffs are over, I can bring it down a few notches and enjoy baseball again.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X