Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mandrake View Post

    The mod is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame, I believe,
    That is so freaky how something so innocuous blew up. I heard them talk about the thumbs down on one of the telecasts and I am sure I saw it as they panned the crowd pre-game.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      Are there any more mods on this website? When do they lock this thread?
      Sorry if I'm missing something, but why should it be locked?

      A request by the thread author was made to "unsticky" this one, and "sticky" the new "Mets 2017/2018 Off-Season Thread" which has been done, but I see no reason to lock this one if someone still wishes to comment on the Mets' previous 2017 season.

      Have fun all, and Go Angels! Lol =)
      In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

      Comment


      • Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
        Sorry if I'm missing something, but why should it be locked?

        A request by the thread author was made to "unsticky" this one, and "sticky" the new "Mets 2017/2018 Off-Season Thread" which has been done, but I see no reason to lock this one if someone still wishes to comment on the Mets' previous 2017 season.

        Have fun all, and Go Angels! Lol =)
        I meant unsticky the thread - not locked- thanks

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
          Are there any more mods on this website? When do they lock this thread?
          Meh, I say leave it til the playoffs are done, since we've already started talking about them on this, and then as you say later, unsticky it and go to the offseason one in its place.
          C
          Two good games on today the Cubs/Nats Game 4 which was rescheduled (luckily for me, I was out all day yesterday) and Game 5 of the Yanks/Tribe ALDS, both potential elimination games, with two good pitching matchups, Roark/Arrieta in the NL game and Sabathia/Kluber in the AL one.

          Hoping the Indians win (guaranteeing I won't have a Nats/Dodgers vs. Yankees World Series fan nightmare) and the Cubbies to make the NLCS more watchable for me than it will be if it's Nats/Dodgers.

          And on a totally unrelated note--I agree with mandrake...

          I CRINGE when I see Yankee fans wearing jerseys with names on the backs. COME ON. ANYONE in Baseball Land (I'd assume especially in New York) just KNOWS who #2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 are for the New York Yankees. (Technically #8's for Yogi and Dickey, most people think of Yogi--I always do at first--but still, you know at least ONE of the two #8's.)

          By the same token............you should just KNOW who #42 is. Setting Mariano and Bruce Sutter and their #42's aside, you should just KNOW who THE #42 is.

          If you need "Robinson" on the back, go back to history class.

          And if it says "Robinson" or "Ruth" with a Yankees #3 because you bought it from a cheap vendor...that's what eBay's for! Lol. Come on now, MLB jerseys can be a bit pricey, but you can usually find legit ones on eBay for cheaper prices at least, depending on what you're looking for...and if you got your cheap "Robinson" #42 or "Ruth" #3 on eBay--did you not check the image, or did you just not care?

          Whether you think wearing/collecting/displaying jerseys is stupid or not, AT LEAST get the basics right!
          Last edited by Shea Knight; 10-11-2017, 09:54 AM.
          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post

            Meh, I say leave it til the playoffs are done, since we've already started talking about them on this, and then as you say later, unsticky it and go to the offseason one in its place.
            C
            Two good games on today the Cubs/Nats Game 4 which was rescheduled (luckily for me, I was out all day yesterday) and Game 5 of the Yanks/Tribe ALDS, both potential elimination games, with two good pitching matchups, Roark/Arrieta in the NL game and Sabathia/Kluber in the AL one.

            Hoping the Indians win (guaranteeing I won't have a Nats/Dodgers vs. Yankees World Series fan nightmare) and the Cubbies to make the NLCS more watchable for me than it will be if it's Nats/Dodgers.

            And on a totally unrelated note--I agree with mandrake...

            I CRINGE when I see Yankee fans wearing jerseys with names on the backs. COME ON. ANYONE in Baseball Land (I'd assume especially in New York) just KNOWS who #2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 are for the New York Yankees. (Technically #8's for Yogi and Dickey, most people think of Yogi--I always do at first--but still, you know at least ONE of the two #8's.)

            By the same token............you should just KNOW who #42 is. Setting Mariano and Bruce Sutter and their #42's aside, you should just KNOW who THE #42 is.

            If you need "Robinson" on the back, go back to history class.

            And if it says "Robinson" or "Ruth" with a Yankees #3 because you bought it from a cheap vendor...that's what eBay's for! Lol. Come on now, MLB jerseys can be a bit pricey, but you can usually find legit ones on eBay for cheaper prices at least, depending on what you're looking for...and if you got your cheap "Robinson" #42 or "Ruth" #3 on eBay--did you not check the image, or did you just not care?

            Whether you think wearing/collecting/displaying jerseys is stupid or not, AT LEAST get the basics right!


            So wearing a shirt with a players name on the back is cringe worthy, but a Batman mask or long blonde hair with Viking horns with matching hammer was ok? LOL -- just making an observation.

            Personally I don't wear jerseys and would never put anyone else's name on my back if I did. I am not Lou Gehrig so why would I put a shirt with is name on it.

            I don't have a problem with buying a jersey(s) of players you like as a collectible or to shadow box them. I have a couple of those.



            Anyway as far as the playoffs go we are at odds once again. LOL

            I want to see the Nats destroy the Cubs (probably wont happen). I am just not a big Joe Maddon fan. I also want to see a Dodger/Nats NLCS - those were the two best NL teams this year and want to see them go at it.

            As far as the AL - I want to see the winner of the Yankee/Indian series win the ALCS. Hoping the Yankees pull it off tonight though.

            Actually would prefer a Yank/Dodger WS.


            Quick observation in relation to the Mets:

            Anyone notice anything about the teams left in the playoffs? Nats, LA, Stros, Yanks, Indians, and the Cubs?

            They all have exceptional players at the 8 everyday positions overall. So much so that the great playoff pitching has not been as dominant.. Some good pitching performances but not dominant as a wholel. A long lineup with talent that just keeps coming every at bat wears the pitcher down.
            Last edited by Paulypal; 10-11-2017, 01:32 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
              So wearing a shirt with a players name on the back is cringe worthy, but a Batman mask or long blonde hair with Viking horns with matching hammer was ok? LOL -- just making an observation.

              Personally I don't wear jerseys and would never put anyone else's name on my back if I did. I am not Lou Gehrig so why would I put a shirt with is name on it.

              I don't have a problem with buying a jersey(s) of players you like as a collectible or to shadow box them. I have a couple of those.



              Anyway as far as the playoffs go we are at odds once again. LOL

              I want to see the Nats destroy the Cubs (probably wont happen). I am just not a big Joe Maddon fan. I also want to see a Dodger/Nats NLCS - those were the two best NL teams this year and want to see them go at it.

              As far as the AL - I want to see the winner of the Yankee/Indian series win the ALCS. Hoping the Yankees pull it off tonight though.

              Actually would prefer a Yank/Dodger WS.


              Quick observation in relation to the Mets:

              Anyone notice anything about the teams left in the playoffs? Nats, LA, Stros, Yanks, Indians, and the Cubs?

              They all have exceptional players at the 8 everyday positions overall. So much so that the great playoff pitching has not been as dominant.. Some good pitching performances but not dominant as a wholel. A long lineup with talent that just keeps coming every at bat wears the pitcher down.
              1. Yeah, a YANKEES Shirt with a player's name is cringe-worthy, because anyone who knows anything about the Yankees or baseball at all knows that's not right.

              Like 'em or hate 'em, are the Batman Masks/Thor Hammers silly?
              Yes. (And some people like silly...apparently...)
              Would they be even sillier if they wore a Batman mask while declaring "Ah man, I look just like SUPERMAN!" Lol?
              Yeah...'cause now on top of the silliness of the mask/costume/jersey you're adding Can't Even Get the Details Right.

              If you're a Raiders fan...you wanna dress like "Darth Raider," as some do?
              Sure.
              But you THEN turn around and say "Man, Darth Vader killing Spock and Marty McFly was the best scene in any Doctor Who episode ever!"
              ...I'm just saying...there's silly...and then there's SILLY. Lol.

              2. "Personally I don't wear jerseys and would never put anyone else's name on my back if I did. I am not Lou Gehrig so why would I put a shirt with is name on it."

              I'm not a huge Halloween person myself...so I can't speak for that aspect--but if I were, I suppose that'd be one hypothetical answer? People aren't Superman, the Doctor, or Jack Skellington...or real people like *Insert Celebrities and Politicians Here.* But though I'm not one, I have friends who're Halloween people and they love dressing up like them...so it's not out of left field.

              As for jerseys themselves--on the one hand I get the point of view that it IS a weird quirk of modern sports culture that we wear jerseys with other people's names on them to identify with that player, that team, or both. On the other hand:
              • Everything's so branded today, names and all, that even non-sports people "wear names" in a way if you ever wear Ralph Lauren/Calvin Kline/Whatever Other Designer Labels There Are (or even non-high end ones) so in that respect wearing a Mets jersey's a bit like wearing a brand, I suppose, and named jerseys analogous to various lines/subsections within said brand?
              • As a corollary to that--a friend sarcastically mused the other day how, in her view, customizing a video game character is different from playing dress-up with dolls, exactly? Lol. Granted I haven't played video games in years (things like video games and certain shows and other things rise and fall in your interest over life...but baseball and books have always remained constants, part of the reason I love them so much, they never "get old" or lose their "magic" for me) but I think it's a good point she makes...how's dressing up your Whatever Video Game Character any different than playing with dolls? There's nothing inherently WRONG in playing with dolls...past a certain age that might be odd in certain scenarios, though as long as you're not hurting anyone to each their own--but I think that's someone the same as the sports/fashion analogy.
              • I'd also say that we live not only in a very branded but a very TRIBAL age, to say the least. (Which in itself is very odd given that we're ALSO living in what's arguably the most "International" of times thus far, with travel way cheaper than the past and forums and Facebook and Twitter and so on making it that much easier [and thus increasingly common] to have friends all around the world but I digress.) That we're so tribal has obvious evolutionary roots, it's very often a very bad thing now...at the same time, it IS alluring, and hey, I'd rather the potentially-constructive results of sports tribalism and than the potentially-destructive consequences of taking that into the POLITICAL arena and demanding "uniformity" there (it IS called a "uniform" for a reason, after all.) It's fun and informal (if hopelessly damning) to "be true to the Orange and Blue"...it's another thing to demand people wear this or say that (or NOT say or do something) and demand that more national/ideological uniformity.
              • Mark Twain has a passage in A Tramp Abroad where he talks about German schools and their fencing teams and people identifying with one another via colors and what they wear, even if they weren't on the team...if they'd have had the means, market, and manufacturing foresight, I'm sure those German schools would have put names on replica fencing uniforms and sold them, too. (Then again, he ALSO has a passage where he describes a German audience listening to an old, voice-shot performer, and asking why on Earth they keep listening and clinging to this person whose physical gifts have been shot...only to hear that they keep hoping he'll return to form, and like to remember "the good times"--so basically Mark Twain had the Matt Harvey Debate before we did, lol.)
              3. Well...I was 0/2 yesterday and you were 2/2 in your playoff hopes, lol.

              Strasburg had the game of his life, the series continues to be well-pitched...Kyle Hendricks vs. Gio Gonzalez for the right to move on--solid middle of the rotation pitchers, but not Lester/Arrieta/Scherzer/Strasburg material, and it shouldn't be as rainy and offense-hampering in D.C. as it was in Wrigley for Game 4, so we'll see whose bats can come alive.

              And what a choke job by the Indians.
              AGAIN.
              That's 7 clinching games IN A ROW they've lost dating back to their 3-1 World Series lead last year...wow.
              Kluber was good against every batter he faced except Didi Gregorious--the only problem was Didi took him deep twice and that turned out to be the ballgame, lol.
              And except for that rally in the middle of the game with 4 straight hits to plate their 2 runs and chase Sabathia, that offense was dead on arrival.

              The Yankees are good again AND young again...that 1996-2012 run was a great run, and here they are again with another core that could be good for a long time...AGAIN. The Yankees play to win, as we've both said...that the Mets can't do the same is absurd...and the reason why "Yankees" means one thing in the sporting lexicon and "Mets" means something sooooo different, lol...

              And the Indians might have blown their two best chances at their first World Series win since 1948 since those slugging Jim Thome/Sandy Alomar Jr. teams of the 90s.

              If that Yankees team DOES grow into the force it may become, AND the Astros can sustain things, AND there's always the Red Sox as well, AND there's usually a surprise team in each league every season...even if they win the division again...

              Up 3-1 in the World Series (ON THE CUBS!) and they blew that...up 2-0 on a young, promising-but-not-yet-Yankees-Dominant Yankees team, and they blew that--those are two chances they won't get back, and with their core a year older and their competition a year better, it's not at all impossible, but it'll be harder to get back to such a position in 2018 and beyond.

              4. "Anyone notice anything about the teams left in the playoffs? Nats, LA, Stros, Yanks, Indians, and the Cubs?

              They all have exceptional players at the 8 everyday positions overall. So much so that the great playoff pitching has not been as dominant.. Some good pitching performances but not dominant as a whole. A long lineup with talent that just keeps coming every at bat wears the pitcher down."


              I agree and disagree.

              I of course agree that those teams all have solid lineups up and down, I've said as much before, and that that's the way to do it if you can. And I agree starters haven't been as dominant insofar as they've been pulled earlier more often in this postseason than others in recent memory.

              That said, I DO think this until-now-rare trend of bringing STARTERS out of the bullpen out of sequence to lock games down COULD, in the magical world where they make it, benefit the Mets. Because after all, 1. They've done this before anyway (Syndergaard did it of course, Colon as well to mixed results) and 2. The Astros brought Verlander out of the pen, and that worked...the Red Sox brought Sale out of the pen and that nearly worked (same game, only one could win, but both pitched very well) and so on...

              Between that and the shutdown bullpen teams like the Royals and Indians used to have and the Yankees have had this year--building those areas up as the Mets are at least nominally trying to do and are supposedly going to target this offseason CAN be a formula for success.

              Their lineup IS way, way weaker than any of those teams listed...but they could conceivably put together a staff/bullpen combo with starters who can come in mid-game and quality relievers to lock down THAT element of a winning team, at least.

              And while they've worn pitchers down, a lot of that's been quality at bats (like Gardner's last night) more than offensive explosions...the Nats in particular are basically still alive because of a couple innings over a couple games where their offense has gone off and the Cubs' bullpen's gone up in flames...but aside from that they've been relatively quiet.

              And the Yankees just moved on after playing the most strikeout-happy postseason series ever...and Aaron Judge, who embodies the True Outcomes player (though his leaping catch was a great play.)
              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

              Comment


              • And wow oh WOW, this 5th inning at Nationals Park, Pauly...Scherzer comes in and the roof caves in with a dropped strike three, a passed ball on Wieters, throwing error in Wieters, Catcher's Interference on Wieters, and a Hit by Pitch, for 4 runs and a total momentum change! WOW...

                I said the Indians had a hell of a choke job in that series vs. the Yankees (and before that in the WS against the Cubs)...7-4 now in the bottom of the 5th, if the Nationals drop this game after THAT...
                "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

                Comment


                • I was hoping for Dodgers versus Red Sox World Series. That's hasn't happened since 1916.
                  The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                  Comment


                  • Well.......THAT was a game! ...A game maybe better enjoyed via LA rather than NY time, lol, but still, WOW--after four closely-pitched games, an offensive explosion, a WILD ONE in Washington, back and forth in a bullpen-burner complete with controversial calls (BOY that call on Lobaton being picked off was close) and yet...

                    Well, Pauly, you got the Yankees over the Indians, only fair I get a "win" today, lol, with the Cubbies taking out the Nats 9-8 in the best (if not most technically flawless) game this postseason.

                    That. Was. Fun. LONG...but fun. The Cubs not only win, they win without hitting a homer, they win in a game with 14 combined pitchers (I DO keep score, and my scorecard for this game's a mess, lol) and the cruel, cruel fate of bringing Max Scherzer in to nail down your season...

                    Only for THAT to produce an inning with a dropped strike three, a throwing error, a passed ball, catcher's interference, AND a hit by pitch, all AFTER three straight hits against Scherzer to get things going, and all of THAT coming with two out.

                    The Nats are a far, far, FAR better team than the Mets...and will be for some time, likely--but from the pure Mets fan standpoint, that was as schadenfreude-filled Nats loss as you could ever imagine. Though in fairness, as opposed to the utter choke job of the Indians last night, this was probably more the Cubs eking one out than the Nationals choking it away, they gave it a great effort as that game shows...

                    But 4 series in their history (I can't count the Expos as "Nationals" history...just...no, they care about/are as connected to that past as much as the Phoenix Coyotes are to their "history" as the original Winnipeg Jets, a history which should be "returned" to the reborn Winnipeg Jets, but anyway) and they're 0 for 4, and as Ronnie pointed out--this comes on the 5-year anniversary of their 2012 loss, also with Gio Gonzalez starting.

                    The Dodgers will sadly (for me) probably beat the Cubbies...whomever they faced was going to be far more taxed than they, and the Cubs had to burn their bullpen just to survive, and just barely did...maybe I'll get lucky...but at least the (for me) dreaded Nats/Dodgers NLCS of Great Baseball but Mets Fan Un-watch-ability has been averted.

                    The Wizards, at least, are never a huge threat--but between the Nationals and Capitals, what terror has to fill the heart of every Washington fan the second the regular season ends and the playoffs begin...it really is insane those two very, very talented teams don't even have a pennant or conference championship (with these Ovechkin/Harper-era iterations) to show for all of this.
                    Last edited by Shea Knight; 10-12-2017, 10:23 PM.
                    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                      Well.......THAT was a game! ...A game maybe better enjoyed via LA rather than NY time, lol, but still, WOW--after four closely-pitched games, an offensive explosion, a WILD ONE in Washington, back and forth in a bullpen-burner complete with controversial calls (BOY that call on Lobaton being picked off was close) and yet...

                      Well, Pauly, you got the Yankees over the Indians, only fair I get a "win" today, lol, with the Cubbies taking out the Nats 9-8 in the best (if not most technically flawless) game this postseason.

                      That. Was. Fun. LONG...but fun. The Cubs not only win, they win without hitting a homer, they win in a game with 14 combined pitchers (I DO keep score, and my scorecard for this game's a mess, lol) and the cruel, cruel fate of bringing Max Scherzer in to nail down your season...

                      Only for THAT to produce an inning with a dropped strike three, a throwing error, a passed ball, catcher's interference, AND a hit by pitch, all AFTER three straight hits against Scherzer to get things going, and all of THAT coming with two out.

                      The Nats are a far, far, FAR better team than the Mets...and will be for some time, likely--but from the pure Mets fan standpoint, that was as schadenfreude-filled Nats loss as you could ever imagine. Though in fairness, as opposed to the utter choke job of the Indians last night, this was probably more the Cubs eking one out than the Nationals choking it away, they gave it a great effort as that game shows...

                      But 4 series in their history (I can't count the Expos as "Nationals" history...just...no, they care about/are as connected to that past as much as the Phoenix Coyotes are to their "history" as the original Winnipeg Jets, a history which should be "returned" to the reborn Winnipeg Jets, but anyway) and they're 0 for 4, and as Ronnie pointed out--this comes on the 5-year anniversary of their 2012 loss, also with Gio Gonzalez starting.

                      The Dodgers will sadly (for me) probably beat the Cubbies...whomever they faced was going to be far more taxed than they, and the Cubs had to burn their bullpen just to survive, and just barely did...maybe I'll get lucky...but at least the (for me) dreaded Nats/Dodgers NLCS of Great Baseball but Mets Fan Un-watch-ability has been averted.

                      The Wizards, at least, are never a huge threat--but between the Nationals and Capitals, what terror has to fill the heart of every Washington fan the second the regular season ends and the playoffs begin...it really is insane those two very, very talented teams don't even have a pennant or conference championship (with these Ovechkin/Harper-era iterations) to show for all of this.
                      Every time I watch the Nats play I just always feel something is wrong with that team. They are a really talented team - maybe the most talented team in baseball. Yet they seem so disconnected as a unit.

                      When you watch most teams - including our Mets - and see them in the dugout (besides nobody liking Matt Harvey (very clear)) they are having a good time and pulling for each other. With the Nats I don't see that.

                      Hopefully the Dodgers smoke the smartest manager on planet, but the Cubs are resilient bunch so you never know.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                        When you watch most teams - including our Mets - and see them in the dugout (besides nobody liking Matt Harvey (very clear)) they are having a good time and pulling for each other. With the Nats I don't see that.
                        For all the too-cute-and-clever-by-half stuff Joe Maddon pulls, Stupid Pet Tricks in the clubhouse and all, I'll give him this--whatever he does or Theo Epstein does building that team (probably both) the Cubbies know how to stay loose and calm and don't panic under pressure. I agree, the Nationals just seem tight.
                        "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X