Team better without Abreu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team better without Abreu?

Statistically, Dellucci and Victorino are obviously not as good as Abreu, but I think the team is better without him. Abreu has been sleepwalking in the last month, the team will get a jolt from being rid of him. Not coincidentally, after getting nothing in the final gm WITH Abreu on FRI, the team has been kicking ass in the 3 gms sans Bobby.

Sleepwalking? I think the reason he hadn't been playing the best he could have is because of all the stupid criticism the south phillie rat fans have been giving him. Statisticly he's always been a better player before the all star break. The media, and the papers have been incredibly rude towards him through this season. Even going so far as stereotyping him because of his heritage/nationality. And you tell me who is more of a marquee player then Abreu. Victorino?... Dellucci?... no way. Abreu was the real deal, and I am really pissed off to see him go, despite seeing this coming almost three months ago.
    Go Phils.

Comment

Originally posted by Meej
      Sleepwalking? I think the reason he hadn't been playing the best he could have is because of all the stupid criticism the south phillie rat fans have been giving him. Statisticly he's always been a better player before the all star break. The media, and the papers have been incredibly rude towards him through this season. Even going so far as stereotyping him because of his heritage/nationality. And you tell me who is more of a marquee player then Abreu. Victorino?... Dellucci?... no way. Abreu was the real deal, and I am really pissed off to see him go, despite seeing this coming almost three months ago.
      Abreu's a dog, which is made even more clear by how little anyone was willing to offer for him. He gets picked off 1B on Friday with two outs in the 8th down 1-0. That's him. He's a dog. He's a good offensive player who would be better suited DHing over in that minor league. The deck is being cleared, hopefully Burrel, Rhodes, Lieber & Lieberthal are soon gone too. Then we'll see what Stand Pat is gonna do.

Comment

Originally posted by johncap
        Abreu's a dog, which is made even more clear by how little anyone was willing to offer for him. He gets picked off 1B on Friday with two outs in the 8th down 1-0. That's him. He's a dog. He's a good offensive player who would be better suited DHing over in that minor league.
        A dog? That's rather brash of you to say.
        Go Phils.

Comment

Originally posted by Meej
          A dog? That's rather brash of you to say.
          Brash? I've watched him dog it in the field, be a bonehead on the bases and his value fall off the table since the last year's all star game.

Comment

Simple as this, Abreu just was not the man that was going to lead our team into the playoffs or the World Series. I'm not sure if I could call him a dog, but lazy and uninspiered yes. Like I've said, Pat better use this free money to sign a stud pitcher.

Comment

Abreu's one of something like 20 guys with 5000 AB's or more who have a .300/.400/.500 line. A dog you say?? The Phillies are the ones who elected to pay him a King's ransom which made him practically untradeable if you insist on the other team picking up his entire salary plus the option year.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Abreu is a great hitter no question and has good speed and baserunning to go with it. I'm glad he's not in NL East anymore at least. Why not go after Soriano instead? I know the price would be higher than the 4 minor leaguers given up but I feel like Soriano would have a much bigger impact. Yanks could DH Soriano and it would still leave OF spots open for guys like Melky Cabrera and the injured Matsui/Sheffield.
                4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
                http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

Originally posted by AznInvasion
                  Abreu is a great hitter no question and has good speed and baserunning to go with it. I'm glad he's not in NL East anymore at least. Why not go after Soriano instead? I know the price would be higher than the 4 minor leaguers given up but I feel like Soriano would have a much bigger impact. Yanks could DH Soriano and it would still leave OF spots open for guys like Melky Cabrera and the injured Matsui/Sheffield.
                  Yankees wouldn't touch Soriano with a 10' pole. He's baseball's answer to T.O.

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                    Abreu's one of something like 20 guys with 5000 AB's or more who have a .300/.400/.500 line. A dog you say?? The Phillies are the ones who elected to pay him a King's ransom which made him practically untradeable if you insist on the other team picking up his entire salary plus the option year.
                    Here we go with the "he's got nmbers so he must be great" argument again. Dog, yes, bow wow! You get picked off first as detailed above, and this was not a one time things, you are completely AFRAID of going after anything near the RF wall, you make mental mistake after mental mistake, you hurt the team morethan the benfits of batting .300.

There's more. He REFUSES to bat leadoff where he SHOULD be. Both Bowa and Manuel asked him to. He refused. He takes too many pitches, which is great for his OBA, but not for a guy in n RBI position in the batting order. Please, he's all about his own numbers. They'd never win with him and/or Burrell in the lineup. Dog! bow wow! Hey, he'll probably hit .325 and put up some numbers in NY where he'll not be the prima donna he was here.

And yes, thank Ed Wade for saddling this team with these ridiculous contracts and no trades.

Comment

I don't see why he's a former Yank...they already touched him with a much shorter pole. I would think TO and Yanks would be a perfect marriage. Anyway Congrats to Utley on his 30-game hitting streak. I hope I didn't short him any games there. I hope he catches Rollins.
                      4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
                      http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

Originally posted by AznInvasion
                        I don't see why he's a former Yank...they already touched him with a much shorter pole. I would think TO and Yanks would be a perfect marriage. Anyway Congrats to Utley on his 30-game hitting streak. I hope I didn't short him any games there. I hope he catches Rollins.
                        Why do you think he's a former Yank? Cashman said months ago they had no interest is bringing him back. Yes, T.O. and Steinbrenner would be great, for about six months, just about as long as I predict T.O. And Jerry Jones will love each other.

Comment

Abreu is the type of player who fantasy players love because of the numbers he puts up (particularly in a league like mine that uses OBP instead of BA), but when you actually see him play, he doesn't seem nearly as impressive. He never really seemed like his head was in the game and he did look for his own numbers rather than the team. I think he'll explode in NY where he won't have to be THE MAN anymore. The fans there already have A-Rod to pick on.
                          Let's rid baseball of the pestilence of the DH now and forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Kroxquo
                            Abreu is the type of player who fantasy players love because of the numbers he puts up (particularly in a league like mine that uses OBP instead of BA), but when you actually see him play, he doesn't seem nearly as impressive. He never really seemed like his head was in the game and he did look for his own numbers rather than the team. I think he'll explode in NY where he won't have to be THE MAN anymore. The fans there already have A-Rod to pick on.
                            I agree absolutely. Bowa even said a month ago that if Abreu could settle into a lineupo and not be the man, he might hit .350. This is a guy, remember, that Richie Ashburn predicted would win multiple batting titles. He can hit. He lost his power stroke in that stupid HR derby last year, and he's taken this year off. If the Spankees used him as DH, that'd be berst case because he's a liability in the field.

Comment

We'll see how he does in his debut tonight v. Jays.

Torre is afraid to bruise egoes, so he is batting Abreu 5th.

He could bomb, but he could also be great. If playing in New York doesn't put his heart into it, nothing will.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X