Team better without Abreu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncap
    I agree absolutely. Bowa even said a month ago that if Abreu could settle into a lineupo and not be the man, he might hit .350. This is a guy, remember, that Richie Ashburn predicted would win multiple batting titles. He can hit. He lost his power stroke in that stupid HR derby last year, and he's taken this year off. If the Spankees used him as DH, that'd be berst case because he's a liability in the field.
    Did Bowa say this in ESPN? I'd love to see that quote.

Anyway, I think it would definitely take some time for Abreu to get well past .300, since his offense has gone steadily south since April. I'm not sure if he was bored in Philly or what. I've said that it may be his being bothered by the trade rumors, or possibly that he wanted to play for a more contending team. Hopefully, people don't interpret this as an insult, since that's not what I'd come here for.

As to the Yanks using him for a DH, I think that defense would count right now. We already have Damon and to a lesser extent, Cabrera as our offensive/defensive guys in the OF. Once Sheffield and Matsui return to form, we've got the sluggers who can also DH. To me, Abreu wasn't called in to be our DH, but to be our right fielder.

If by chance you're interested, you can track his Yankee performance in this thread under BBF.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 08-02-2006, 04:08 PM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

To me, Bobby would have been the man here in Philly had he batted lead off but, since his thinking is real men drive in runs he wouldnt do it. To me, thats not a team type of guy, and what Lidle said, well, to me, he's not really worth commenting on.

Comment

Phils doing a good job since the Abreu deal. Now they just have to get rid of Burrell. He's looking awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin Joe Giradio
          Phils doing a good job since the Abreu deal. Now they just have to get rid of Burrell. He's looking awful.
          Can you say ALBATROSS? I can spell it- W*A*D*E.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
            To me, Abreu wasn't called in to be our DH, but to be our right fielder.

If by chance you're interested, you can track his Yankee performance in this thread under BBF.
            Yea, well, he WAS a Gold Glover last year. Here's to him playing the same in your OF as he did in ours....

Comment

Judging by the numbers since he left, the Phillies are better without Bobby Abreu. They took 2 of 3 from my beloved Braves.
              2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
                Judging by the numbers since he left, the Phillies are better without Bobby Abreu. They took 2 of 3 from my beloved Braves.
                Your "beloved Braves".... I counted 423 people at the game yesterday. The city that can't even sell out a playoff game.

Comment

The most nauseating thing was watching him jump up against the wall and bust it down the line on a routine grounder - ala Chase Utley - in that first game at Yankee Stadium. I haven't paid attention since, but he put out more effort in his first game in the Bronx than he had in the previous two seasons. Good Riddance.

For the stat monkeys: OF’s can be easily found - via trade or free agency. There is a number of his caliber of outfielder in professional baseball that could come with a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced price tag. There is certain to be some sacrifices in offensive and precious on-base statistics. If Gillick tries to replace him by hitting the market, he’ll probably get a guy that has some of the intangibles that Bobby A. lacked, and is capable of hitting .275/20/90.

However the solution may already be here. Assuming Dellucci’s gone after this season, Victorino is effective down the stretch, and Burrell really is as untradeable as we have been led to believe: could we see Burrell in RF, Victorino in LF, and Rowand in CF in 2007 and replace Abreu’s “power” at 3B or C?
                  Philadelphia Phillies Baseball: Steroid Free since '93!:grouchy

Comment

Originally posted by #4 - The Dude
                    The most nauseating thing was watching him jump up against the wall and bust it down the line on a routine grounder - ala Chase Utley - in that first game at Yankee Stadium. I haven't paid attention since, but he put out more effort in his first game in the Bronx than he had in the previous two seasons. Good Riddance.

For the stat monkeys: OF’s can be easily found - via trade or free agency. There is a number of his caliber of outfielder in professional baseball that could come with a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced price tag. There is certain to be some sacrifices in offensive and precious on-base statistics. If Gillick tries to replace him by hitting the market, he’ll probably get a guy that has some of the intangibles that Bobby A. lacked, and is capable of hitting .275/20/90.

However the solution may already be here. Assuming Dellucci’s gone after this season, Victorino is effective down the stretch, and Burrell really is as untradeable as we have been led to believe: could we see Burrell in RF, Victorino in LF, and Rowand in CF in 2007 and replace Abreu’s “power” at 3B or C?
                    No way Burrell can play RF. I think Buirrell is gone after the season even if they have to eat half his salary and get a bag of used balls in return. I'd liketo see Dellucci stay. I like what I've see of him and he's got some pop.

If a Troy Glaus-type 3B could come in that leaves finding a good catcher, and a new manager on my agenda.

And you know I watched Chris Roberson play at Reading and he looked like a player to me. He just looks like he's pressing right now.

With the $40M or so in payroll reductions realized, this is NOT a lot to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by johncap
                      Your "beloved Braves".... I counted 423 people at the game yesterday. The city that can't even sell out a playoff game.
                      Sad, but true.
                      2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

I'm not sure I'd say the Phillies are better without Abreu, but they sure are playing well since he left. Perhaps the team will not implode like everyone on here has speculated. They really didnt lose all that much at the deadline, just thier thirdbaseman and rightfielder is all, Bell, wasnt contributing much as far as offense and Abreu was a liability in the outfield and not the power guy he used to be. All we lost as far as the rotation is Cory Lidle, who I think was a pretty solid third or fourth guy, and Homerun Franklin and Rheal "deal" Cormier. Not all that much in terms of offensive production, we still have chase and Ryan Howard.

Comment

As was slightly touched on, just like your madden football or mvp baseball games, some part that matters is locker room atmosphere. If players got pissed that Abreu was taking some naps, that hurts. A rumor cloud hanging over the locker room that someone's gonna go also takes from the team. Perhaps the Phils lost firepower or depth and strength, but they could post better results if the chemistry is stronger.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X