Catcher of the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catcher of the future

Chris Coste has been playing an amazing backup role this year for the Phillies. He is probably the most underrated player in the league right now, and rightfully so. He is just coming into the majors at the age of 33. It took him a while to get up to the majors, but from the looks of it, it was worth the wait. THis guy can hit. He's an all around good athlete. He plays hard and hits well. His pickoff throws to second are almost pinpoint accurate and he already has 4 home runs. He also is batting .375. Mike Lieber-crap's contract is supposed to end after this season. If the phillies do anything else besides keep Coste as their catcher, we all should be very dissapointed.

Coste is not young. How long will the future last for a 33-year-old prospect? He seems more like the catcher of the present, and a damned good one at that.

Comment

I hope to see Coste behind the plate next year, wheter it be backup or starter, I would say backup but only if they can find a solid young guy via free agency or trade, or gave one of their young catching prospects a shot first. But by what Ruiz did this year, I think Coste may be behind home plate next year. I just pray that its not Lieberthal.

Comment

As I look at it , we probably will trade Pitching for a Catcher or we will go for one in the offseason since our core of catchers is not very strong . We could go and get a guy like Bengie Molina ( Even though he has a team option with Toronto , JP Ricciardi will not pick it up since it is worth 7.5 Million) or Rod Barajas .

Comment

I could see them picking up Barajas, but with the way they have kept Lieberthal and brought back Pratt, I could also see them keeping Coste since switching catchers isn't a common thing around there. Then again, this is Gillick now so things may change.

Comment

If a great catcher comes available in the offseason the Phillies should definitely pursue whoever it is. However they shouldn;t just get any old catcher who is available. If they can;t get someone who will be an instant hit here in philly, then keep Coste at least another year. Remember the phillies also have a weakness at 3B. Between Coste and Nunez, I think that Nunez is the one who is top priority to replace. Anyone who can hit a ball will be better then Nunez. Coste is doing a great backup job and he has helped us win a few games that we might have lost if liber-crap was playing.

Comment

Let us also remeber this Phillies fans, most catchers are not in the league because they belt thrity homers a year and drive in 100 RBI. They are signed becuase they work good with pitchers and help improve the staff and play good defense and throw out runners. IMO the Phillies would be fine with Coste again next year and another similar guy as a battery mate. I would say, however, if someone who really is establish becomes avalible and they have already gotten the third base thing under control then take a look at catcher, but lets remember, we have bigger problems than catcher and thirdbase, PITCHING.

Comment

yea but Pitching is a given. Plus it's something gillick is probably going to try to build up through younger players. Last night Coste went 3 for 3 with a 2 run homer.

Comment

yes yes he did

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X